Friday, September 18, 2009

A few more ideas from Dollar Stretcher


Eyeglass Cleaners


There is no need to buy expensive eyeglass cleaners from the store. Just mix a solution of 1/3 rubbing alcohol, 1/3 white vinegar and 1/3 water and put it in a spray bottle. Use a clean cotton handkerchief or cloth to dry. It works just as
well and costs a lot less. Les L. in Tempe, AZ


*********
Ready to Throw Out the Throw Rug?


We have an oatmeal-color area rug under our dining room set (don't ask me why I chose that color with two teens). It was spotted all over and had ground in "shoe dirt" in front of the seating positions. There was even a large stain where a plate
of spaghetti had been dropped. The carpet had been cleaned many times and spot cleaned monthly, but in a word, it looked horrible.

I was just ready to have my husband haul it to the dump when he suggested using his new "toy," which was a power washer. It worked like a charm! We couldn't believe the amount of soap residue that came out from the previous attempts at shampooing
it. Now he periodically power washes it, using just warm water. It comes out looking almost new every time. Check the fiber content on your carpet before trying this.

We have a slanted driveway, which helps it dry, but I'm sure moving a carpet around on a flat, clean driveway or deck on a couple of hot days should do the trick. I had nothing to lose and gained many more years from this carpet. Conni


*********
Too Many Peppers

When you have an abundance of peppers, wash them thoroughly, julienne them like you would use in a stir fry, lay them on a cookie sheet (do not let them touch), and put them in your freezer. They will freeze nicely. When frozen, place in plastic bags and put back in the freezer until you want to use them. They will not stick together. Just take out what you need and put the rest back in freezer. Janice H. in Somerset, KY
Note from Lucy: This method is called IQF (Individually Quick Frozen). When we do our frozen berry order, I buy blackberries by the 30 lb. case. I take them home and just scoop out berries and put them into quart sized freezer bags and put them on the bottom shelf of the freezer... We use these berries for smoothies, on top of ice cream or just for snacking on... I do this with other veggies too. Give it a try.

Have a great weekend everyone!

9 Comments:

At 8:53 AM, Blogger Oh great One said...

OH! I wish I'd have tried the power washer idea on my old area rug! Next time....

 
At 3:27 PM, Blogger Jim said...

You're good, Lucy. Mrs. Jim freezes all kinds of stuff like that to keep them from sticking together. I will impress her with the IQF bit if I can remember that. I might make me a cue-card.

I have a power tool for sweeping the garage. Just turn the leaf blower on in the far corner and work towards the drive way. Get all kind of muck out of there!
..

 
At 5:05 PM, Blogger Renie Burghardt said...

Oh, power washing a rug like that is a great idea! Going to have to try that. I have a couple of good sized area rughs that could use a good cleaning.

White vinegar is so great for cleaning many things. I use it a lot.

Thanks for the tips. Have a great weekend, Lucy.

 
At 5:18 PM, Blogger Diane@Diane's Place said...

I IQF a lot of fruits and veggies so I can put them in quart or gallon sized freezer bags, then take out only what I need without thawing the whole bag. I have bell peppers and jalapeno peppers frozen that way right now, for recipes and for using to make my hot pepper jelly. I need to do another batch of that pretty soon so I'll have more to put on my pantry shelf.

Happy weekend, Lucy! :o)

Love and hugs,

Diane

 
At 3:57 AM, Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

Some very good tips, Lucy! I just read some place else about doing something similar with Peppers...I never eat Hot Peppers because they don't agree with me, but it is funny that I would read about two different things one can do with Hot Peppers, neither of which I had ever heard before, one day after another!

 
At 8:41 AM, Blogger Granny Annie said...

Wow, the power washer hint is great. Now if we could just bring the power washer in the house and clean the carpets! LOL

As always Lucy you've given us some great ideas. Thanks.

 
At 7:53 PM, Blogger Fred said...

Hi Lucy, just catching up on everything I've missed. I loved your post on The Heart of a Teacher. How moving.

Now, back to FB. After I read all your posts, that is.

 
At 12:01 PM, Blogger Mountain Mama said...

I never would have thought of power washing a rug. Great idea and so glad it worked so well too.

 
At 2:21 PM, Blogger LZ Blogger said...

Lucy ~ Thanks for checking in... sorry for the lack of posts during the summer... but it's been real busy around here! ~ jb///

 

Post a Comment

<< Home