Friday, July 03, 2009

More frugal tidbits & Happy 4th.

Pulled Pork Barbecue

Here in the south, there are different types of BBQ. There is Carolina-style BBQ, which uses vinegar. I make a great batch, using a cheap pork butt.

Buy a butt that will fit in your slow cooker. Rub the entire pork down with cayenne pepper. Put the butt into the slow cooker. Water is not necessary. If the lid doesn't fit, wrap tightly with foil. Turn the slow cooker on high for about an hour and then set to low and let cook overnight. In the morning, the pork will be done and there will be a lot of juice/fat.

Take the pork out and let it cool. Leave about one cup of juice in the slow cooker and add two tablespoons of white vinegar. Reserve the remaining juice in case you need more. Shred or pull the pork and put it into the vinegar juice. Toss and heat back up in the slow cooker. If it seems a little dry or not tart enough, experiment with the leftover juices and more vinegar. Make coleslaw, potato salad, and you've got a great picnic.

This is a favorite of my friends and family. It's so easy, takes little time, and is delicious! Diana M. in Chesapeake, VA

Barter Believer

I believe in the good old-fashioned barter system. I can trade a product or service of mine for another. In fact, I found a family member a gig fixing a laptop computer this week. He got paid and I received much needed computer repairs as a referral. RMH

editor's note: We agree with RMH. That's why we recommend TargetBarter


Remember Your Chemistry

I live in a town that has water containing alkali and other minerals. Consequently, things become clogged quite easily. The latest gadget in my home to succumb was the spray hose on my kitchen sink. Remembering that alkali may be dissolved with an acid solution, I poured myself a cup of vinegar and submerged the entire plastic head of the flexible hose in the vinegar and left it over night. Upon testing the spray the next morning, I found that it was as good as new! I didn't have to put in a new spray nozzle! Karla in Kingman, AZ

Note from Lucy: My sprayer hose, on my kitchen sink, start to clog up with tiny rocks and I wanted to take it apart and clean it… What I found was that there was no way to take it apart, so I followed this method of dissolving the rocks and it worked great….This works wonders on shower heads too….Give it a try.

Special Note from Lucy:
As all of you celebrate our nation’s independence, please contemplate how much work it took to get to the point of the writing of the Declaration of Independence. Think of those great men who worked tirelessly to put together that document. Please Lord, protect this great country…. Amen..

Have a great 4th of July, Everyone!

6 Comments:

At 4:08 PM, Anonymous Jahn said...

Vinegar is great. I always put an ounce or so in my iron to keep it unclogged. (It also helps set creases in fabric.)

 
At 5:41 PM, Blogger Renie Burghardt said...

Hi Lucy,

The pork butt slow cooker way sounds delish. Will have to try it sometime. But we're grilling out tomorrow.

I use vinegar for all kinds of things, including in my coffee maker.

Happy Independence Day! God bless the USA.

Hugs,

Renie

 
At 8:41 PM, Blogger Jim said...

Of course all Texans who are Texans eat BBQ'd beef brisket. Either on the charcoal cooker or if the man won't do it then probaby in the oven.

Happy 4th! We are off to fireworks in the neighborhood as soon as Mrs. Jim's sister lets her get off the phone. It is just about dark.
I hope the Houston Symphany was good, they generally are THE BEST.
..

 
At 10:35 PM, Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

A Very Happy Fourth Of July To You & Yours, Lucy...
And enjoy that Pork---if you are making it for a picnic!

 
At 1:18 PM, Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

My butt will NOT fit into my crock pot.
:-) I couldn't resist saying that.
My daughter loves pulled pork BBQ, and so do I.

I use vinegar to clean my fountains. I have two, small fountains in my house. Vinegar works great to run through them and clean out the water deposits.

Lucy, I wish you a terrific Independence Day!! We are hoping the rain headed our way does not come until after we've done our fireworks.
Enjoy your holiday!! God bless America!!!!!

 
At 7:58 AM, Blogger Putz said...

when i wrote my blog on airports, just, i was there in ashboro to sample carolinna bar-b-que and the worlds best footlong with kraut beans and grits...thanks for sharing lucy from a past blogger

 

Post a Comment

<< Home