Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Red Cross Water Safety........

Summer Water Safety Guide
A recent Red Cross survey shows that almost half the adults surveyed on water safety say they've had an experience where they nearly drowned. It is important to follow the basics of water safety, maintain constant supervision of children and to get trained. This safety guide also contains a discount coupon for the Red Cross store.
Download the PDF...

Would You Know What to Do?

Emergencies can happen anywhere, anytime. In an aquatic emergency, every second counts. Survival depends on quick rescue and immediate care.
Download the PDF...

It Only Takes a Moment

Anyone watching children who are in, on or around water must understand that drowning happens quickly and suddenly. Any source of water is a potential drowning hazard, especially for young children and weak swimmers.
Download the PDF...

Is Your Pool Safe?
Home swimming pools offer years of fun and activity for families. They also can be a significant threat to young children—those living in the home or in the surrounding neighborhood.
Download the PDF...

Where Is It Safe to Swim?

Swimming in lakes, rivers and oceans can be safe and fun at a designated swimming area that is protected by lifeguards. However, if these elements are not in place, always assume that any natural body of water is too dangerous for swimming.
Download the PFF...

Your Home Doesn’t Come with a Lifeguard

Staying safe around water is more than staying near the lifeguard at the pool. Every year many children drown in residential swimming pools, bath tubs, buckets of water and other containers of water. Anywhere there is water there is risk for drowning. Do not leave a young child unattended near any source of water, not even for a moment.
Download the PDF...

Life Jackets Aren’t Just for Boats

But, they only work when they are worn. Young children and weak swimmers should wear life jackets whenever they are in, on or around the water, even at a pool or a waterpark. Put it on at the dock, deck or shore and don’t take it off until you are on dry land.
Download the PDF...

Note from Lucy: I would suggest that you print out all of the downloads and put them in a binder and use these materials to educate your family on water safety...I have grandkids and I constantly worry about them swimming in their pool..... Have a safe summer everyone!

10 Comments:

At 6:06 PM, Blogger Jim said...

Hey Lucy, I am thinking they only asked boaters and swimmers. Have you almost drowned? Mrs. Jim and I haven't either nor any of our kids or grandkids.
One SIL almost drowned and he was a boating camper at the time, but only a pre-teen. That is (including you) one out of seventeen, not nearly half.
Why don't you do a survey?
..
Oh yes, I hope you don't mind my picking on the person who wrote this.
Her safety advice is good, I just don't trust her math and statistics.
..

 
At 6:42 PM, Blogger Lucy Stern said...

I almost drowned once when I was taking Junior Life Saving....LOL.

 
At 9:15 PM, Blogger Renie Burghardt said...

Great safety tips, Lucy. My granddaughters are all strong swimmers, and one is a lifeguard. I am not too secure in deeper water, so I just stay in the more shallow sections. We go on the river a lot, since we have a cabin there, and spend a lot of time in a boat. I always wear a life jacket when out on the river.

With young kids, things can happen so fast. One can never be cautious enough, I feel.

 
At 9:50 PM, Blogger Lucy Stern said...

Renie, I always worry about my grandkids when they get in the water...JJ thinks he knows more than he does and he can get a little too risky with his swimming. Jocelyne is only 3 so we really have to watch her.

 
At 7:11 PM, Blogger Fred said...

One of the first things we did when we moved to Miami was to put up a fence around the pool. We taught the girls how to swim very early on, but knew all to well the dangers of having an open pool.

 
At 11:20 AM, Blogger Big Dave T said...

I think it's required by law to have a fence around a pool here in Michigan. I had to jump into a hotel pool once, clothes and all, after my very young son's life preserver came loose in the water.

 
At 8:26 PM, Blogger Marla said...

I used to be a great swimmer. I swam on a team. I would probably drown now!

 
At 8:54 PM, Blogger Cliff said...

Yeah, what Marla said.
All good tips Lucy S. Thanks. We will take heed.

 
At 5:15 PM, Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

Our housing development has a pool that is open for usage yet. The children's playground it right next to the pool area. The pool is not fully fenced in which I think is a stupid decision. The pool should be fully fenced with a locked gate. I fear that a small child will wander over from the play area and fall into the pool.
I've never been a good swimmer.

 
At 9:50 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

This is such a scary thing for me. We will never have a pool as long as there are kids under 8 at our house.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home