Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Notes from the Dollar Stretcher

Need Moving Boxes?

When you are planning a move, check with the local moving company for boxes. Often, they will give previously used boxes to you free of charge. They have to dispose of them somehow and often will give them to you. LaVonne


*********
Handy, Neat Ice Tricks

Rather than filling up an ice chest or cooler with ice and either emptying my freezer's ice tray, or having to buy bags of ice, I have some various sized plastic drink bottles that I fill with water (about 75-90% full) and freeze the night
before. I use those to pack the cooler. Once I pack the remaining items, I sometimes use ice cubes just to fill in some holes. These larger ice "cubes" in the frozen bottles stay frozen longer than the little ones, and when they do thaw, you've got ice cold water to drink and no mess to worry about.

This trick is handy for amusement parks or other outings as well; when traipsing around an amusement park or going on a boat ride, we bring some ice bottles, either in a small cooler or loose. It doesn't take long for the ice to thaw a little bit, and once you drink what's melted, you can refill it with water from a fountain and keep using that same large "ice cube" all day for refreshing ice water. Odds are that the bottle will have condensation on it as it thaws, so be aware of that. If we're carrying the bottle in a pack, we rubber-band a washcloth around it to absorb the condensation. Tony C. in NC


*********
Protect Your Package

I discovered the use of egg cartons for cushioning breakables when mailing. SLC


Super Fabric Softener Stretcher


I have come up with a formula for making my fabric softener last three times as long, and my clothes are softer than with the fabric softener alone. I buy a large bottle of softener. Then I pour two cups of softener, two cups of white vinegar,
and two cups of water into a smaller container. I shake this mixture well and then use it just as I would the full strength softener.

My clothes are soft, and the towels are fluffier than with full strength softener. My daughter is now using this formula for her clothes too, and loves it for her kids' clothes. Donna R. in Nokomis, FL

Note from Lucy:
This has been an unusual Spring and Summer here in Texas... We had a nice cool spring, so cool that we couldn't get our garden in the ground till May 1st.... Then we had about a week of warmer weather and them bam.... Hot and no rain for over a month....When I say no rain, I mean NO rain, not a drop... I notice on the radar that most of the rain in up in the rockies and out in the northeast...This is weird! We are already starting to get tropical activity down in the waters of the Gulf of Mexico, I noticed that the water temps are already around 84 degrees.... The word is HOT! I hope you are doing well where ever you live.. Have a great week, everyone!

14 Comments:

At 5:01 PM, Blogger Granny Annie said...

Thanks again for some good household tips. I use egg cartons for my chicken eggs first and second for packing.

We are hot, hot,hot in Oklahoma with only holding still a good way to stay cool and not stir up the heat. Our heat index is 110,

 
At 6:29 PM, Blogger Putz said...

you should go to just my life and read about me trying to fly to the northeast aznd because of AN ACT OF GOD got caught with no way to utah...delays of 16 hours and where to sleep and how to get off being 45 standby number when they are overbooked and and won't let you fly all because of rain and because of full plains...it really upset me bad

 
At 6:30 PM, Blogger Putz said...

full planes not plains...i am not blogging on my own but other's blogs....i'll blog on yours if you wish

 
At 7:26 PM, Blogger Fred said...

June is our rainy season, and we've barely had a drop. And, we've had oppressive heat and humidity. Global warming, I guess.

 
At 9:49 AM, Blogger Oh great One said...

Was the box part for ME?! :) Thanks! We caught a break on the box thing. CCB's friend is moving to the area too. He's passing off his boxes to CCB.

We got some rain last night. My lawn looks much happier this morning.

 
At 11:09 AM, Blogger Big Dave T said...

I like the egg carton suggestion.

Very hot and humid here in Michigan. Yesterday we put our bedroom air conditioner in the window, despite the efforts of several sweat bees to come inside and supervise.

 
At 5:10 PM, Blogger Ralph said...

You are right about the weather - it is weird. We have had more tornado warnings and watches in the last two weeks than we have had in the past three years.
Ralph

 
At 11:07 PM, Blogger Mountain Mama said...

Great household hints. I am going to try the fabric softener idea soon.

We had some hot days but recently had some much needed rain. My garden loved it. It was only around 70 degrees today and I was able to work outside most of the day without fainting from the heat.
I have a household hint but don't know if you can use it. I have white counters and found that coffee cans and other metals leave marks on them. I save the plastic lids from used cans and place them over the bottom of the cans and no more marks on my counter.

 
At 12:53 AM, Blogger Jim said...

Global warming is here in force!
I didn't know about the moving company and the used boxes. I always went to the super markets and get their flatten boxes. Then inflate them when I get home.
My used egg cartons come from my friends full of recycled golf balls they recover from their back yards.
..

 
At 7:55 AM, Blogger Cliff said...

Good ideas Lucy.
I would like to send you some of our rain. Usually we are desperate for rain at this time. We have parts of our fields drowning out because of too much rain.

 
At 11:35 AM, Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

We are in a heat wave too, also! The spring was cool and rainy and lovely, and these past couple of weeks have been really, really hot.

I love the ice bottle idea! That is a terrific one!!

I save packing bubbles and other kinds of packing materials that come in packages we get, but I've never heard of using egg cartons for packing. That is another great tip.

I use fabric softener, and so I wrote down that recipe and will try it. If it extends the use of the softener and still does its job, then I am all for it.
Have a good weekend, Lucy.

:-)

 
At 11:54 AM, Blogger Jess said...

These are graet tips lucy!

Love, Jess

 
At 2:28 PM, Blogger Rachel said...

Great tips Lucy! It's been HOT here and we've had plenty of rain so far. Seems like it's gotten warmer faster this year with more storms than usual for us.

 
At 12:43 PM, Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

You always have such great Tips, Lucy....The Egg Carton is a great one, and I need to remember that!

Thanks for your very dear Birthday Wishes, my dear....It would be fun yo see you and Jamie here together some day....!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home