Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Removing Kitchen Odors

From the Dollar Stretcher Website:

Yesterday, I was cooking some chicken breasts in water for later use in soup. I had to leave to pick up my daughter from school and forgot to turn off the burner. When we came back home, the house was full of smoke and the fire alarms were going off. Now my house smells like burnt chicken! I aired out the house right away and tried boiling vinegar on the stove. It's still pretty pungent in here. Do you have any suggestions that don't require cash? It was pretty warm out when this happened, but the temperature dropped over night and we are now having wind chills in the single digits. I just can't afford to heat the outdoors. Kathy

Clean Odors Trapped in Fabric

Odors don't get trapped in air; they get trapped in fabrics. Be sure to launder all curtains and any loose washable fabrics like pillow covers. Hang any moveable carpets outdoors for a day or so. Leave small dishes of white vinegar sitting around and that will help absorb the smoky smell. Some Febreze(r) sprayed on upholstery may help. Try renting a steamer and cleaning any wall-to-wall carpeting. The smell should be gone in a week. C

Fragrant Solution

Try boiling lemon slices with a handful of cloves for 15-20 minutes. Wipe down the counters with vinegar as vinegar helps to absorb odors. G

The Aroma of Coffee

Open a can of coffee and pour it in about four bowls. Set them around the room. The room will fill with the coffee odor instead. We even use this in old refrigerators that have been closed up and smell rotten. It works for us. Karen in Alamogordo, NM

Simmer. Don't Boil.

Simply heating white vinegar on the stove will remove the smell in your house. Do not boil the vinegar as this will not work. Suzie

Use Charcoal Briquettes to Remove Kitchen Odors

The very best technique I have found for removing odors is charcoal briquettes. A person who worked for a company that cleaned up after fires gave me the tip. Just set them around, but be cautious of children and pets, of course. Sharon

Leave Vinegar Sitting Out

The only suggestion I have is to put white vinegar in a bowl and leave it overnight (or during the day). The vinegar will absorb most of the odors. I realize the user boiled the vinegar on the stove, but I have never tried that myself.

After trying white vinegar, open all the windows in the house and turn on the house exhaust fan for about ten minutes. Always works for me! Dorina

Do you have any suggestions for getting rid of unwanted smells in you kitchen...

Just a suggestion from Lucy: It is a good thing to check you onion bowl when you smell a foul odor in you kitchen...Last Saturday TF asked me "What is that smell"....I had just come home from the grocery store and was putting away the groceries...I had bought some white onions and was reaching for the onion bowl, on top of the refrigerator, when I noticed the pungent smell. There in the onion bowl was an onion that had "gone bad"...I threw that sucker in the garbage and instantly walked it out to the trash can... I washed out the bowl and put my new onions in.....

Have a great week everyone.

14 Comments:

At 11:22 AM, Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

These are all such interesting solutions....! I know of one spray that works WONDERS! "CITRUS MAGIC". It is supposed to be ALL Natural ingredients and it doesn't take very much spraying, at all! One little spritz wherever there is an odor...And it is gone!
I got it through The Internet!

 
At 12:39 PM, Blogger Mad Housewife said...

Apple cider vinegar will also leave the air smelling a little sweeter and not so pungent.

 
At 1:27 PM, Blogger Oh great One said...

Mine has already been said. Vinegar is amazing stuff.

 
At 3:39 PM, Blogger Renie Burghardt said...

Hi Lucy,

I've used vinegar many times to get rid of certain odors, and the charcoal works pretty well, too.

I've had that happen with onions, and also with potatoes! Yuck!

We're having cool, overcast weather here today, but tomorrow promises to be sunny and beautiful.

Enjoy the rest of your day.

Renie

 
At 4:18 PM, Blogger Putz said...

i am glad the"sucker" onion was taken out of the house and not left in an indoor garbage can

 
At 10:41 PM, Blogger Jim said...

Hey Lucy, have an orange or two every day (or meal would be better). Leave the peels around, some in the trash, some in the sink, others on the table and cabinets. That will freshen the air pretty good pretty soon.

Hope you Easter was nice, I really know it was. We went to Katy to be with Karen, Billy, and BP.
..

 
At 11:06 PM, Blogger Cliff said...

Eewwww..bad onions. I know what you mean. Also bad potato's are as bad.

 
At 11:27 AM, Blogger Big Dave T said...

Vinegar, eh. Never would have guessed that. Wonder if we could simmer a little apple cider vinegar and pour it down the sink to remove some of the odors there.

 
At 11:45 AM, Blogger preacherman said...

Thank you for all this useful information.
Keep up the great blogging!

 
At 10:51 PM, Blogger Mountain Mama said...

I have used vinegar for lots of things, even mopping up after a leaky dog when I was doing house cleaning for others. It really does work.

 
At 12:27 PM, Blogger jade said...

Now my house smells like burnt chicken! I aired out the house right away and tried boiling vinegar on the stove. It's still pretty pungent in here. summit

 
At 3:34 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

My ethnic food stock fish is very delicious but alas it has a strong looooong lasting odour. For this reason, I usually cook a full pot load and then store in zip lock bags in the freezer. I then spend weeks burning incense and airing my kitchen to get rid of the odour and i am not joking - weeks. The smell is that strong! So My real estate agent told me about vinegar and I looked it up and saw on your blog. It works!

 
At 7:50 PM, Blogger Ari said...

I don't know about a whole entire house but if your living in a small apartment or studio apartment definitely boil some apple cider vinegar & water. I boiled that for about a half hour let it sit out. Turned on the air, opened a window for an hour & to top it off if use Gain pods for detergent, try busting one of those open & do a quick wipe down... works like a fucking charm... This worked for covering up a curry smell btw.

 
At 7:31 AM, Blogger futurelookup said...

thanks for publishing about odor removal

 

Post a Comment

<< Home