Tuesday, February 10, 2009

More ideas from Dollar Stretcher

Technology Meets the Envelope System

When setting a budget, some people don't like to carry their spending cash around with them, but that's the easiest way to keep track of what you spend and what you have left. My suggestion is to get reloadable gift cards. At the beginning of the month, put your spending money on the card. Put the money you have budgeted for fun, for take out, for morning coffees, etc. Pay for all these extras with the gift card, and when used up, it's gone until the next time you are scheduled to reload it. Remember to get a gift card that has no fees!

Using the gift card for all the non-essential purchases is a convenient way to realize what you spend money on and where you go overboard. In fact, you could have a separate gift card for each account in your budget. That way, you couldn't overspend any of them.
DeAnna D.

Lampshades

I use a lint roller to clean my lampshades. It's very sticky, so it works great! And it's very easy! Aubrey E. in Hays, KS

Sweet Smelling Slippers


My husband's slippers always smell like, well, feet! So we put a used dryer sheet in each slipper and now they don't smell anymore! Wendy D. in Boston, MA

Soak the Dirt Away


If you have a load of laundry that doesn't fade, after the washer has filled and agitated to get the soap mixed in, turn the machine off and let the clothes soak for a short time. The dirt flows out and the clothes will last longer as well as the machine parts because of less agitation. Then just turn the machine back on and over to the rinse cycle to complete the wash. Renee P. in Smithville, TN

Video: New Credit Card Rules from the Fed
Some consumer "unfriendly" credit card practices may soon be changed by the Federal Reserve.

Cash Crunch?
6 ways to get liquid in a hurry If your expenses are rising,
your income is falling, and your credit is cut, here's how to
improve the cash flow.

Qualifying for Unemployment
In a recession, more jobless people claim unemployment, but
whether you get it can depend on state rules.

Haggling With Your Credit Card Company
How to get your interest rate lowered.

"Good cheer is a state of mind or mood that promotes happiness or joy... With God’s help, good cheer permits us to rise above the depressing present or difficult circumstances. It is a process of positive reassurance and reinforcement. It is sunshine when clouds block the light."

--Marvin J. Ashton, "Be of Good Cheer", Ensign, May 1986, 66

Have a great week everyone!

10 Comments:

At 2:49 PM, Blogger Big Dave T said...

Recently back from London, though I was only there three days, I felt their frugality. They do not want to overpay for anything, it seemed. For example, if there's a pub with cheaper beer, it's going to do well. Competition is key, especially when people know their prices and the size of their wallet.

 
At 5:15 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

The gift card is a really good idea... I'll have to try that one. :)

 
At 11:31 PM, Blogger Diane@Diane's Place said...

Storms are closing in on you now....Be safe! They're heading our way too, but should be here up in the morning. Ugh! I'm ready for bed but I'm sure it'll wake me up.

xoxoxo

Diane

 
At 9:49 AM, Blogger Oh great One said...

Good tips as usual.

I hope your sister is doing well.

 
At 12:39 AM, Blogger Merle said...

Dear Lucy ~~ You always have lots of good advice for us on your blog.
Thank you for your comments abut the extreme heat we had on the day the fires started. Hottest day ever recorded since 1856. Ther have bee over 1000 homes destroyed and almost 200 deaths, though they expect both numbers to rise. It has been much cooler the last few days but it has been so distressing, it is hard to enjoy them. Take care, my friend.
Love, Merle.

 
At 5:31 PM, Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

I would never have thought of using a lint roller to clean lamp shades. I did know about using dryer sheets in shoes and in drawers and other places, but I must try the lint roller idea!

:-)

 
At 5:43 PM, Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

There are some really good ideas here. That Gift Card one is very clever and I can see how it could curtail one's spending!

 
At 12:23 AM, Blogger Jim said...

No wonder you are called 'Frugal Lucy!' I do all of those things like I always do your stuff but we don't fare real well.

Okay, I am allergic to the dryer cloths so can't put them in the slippers. But then, 'Frugal Jim' doesn't wear slippers, he wears cheap flip-flops.

I got our DSL bill down to $14.95 for at least six months by calling and got $50 off the cable bill (one time/month). Both of these just by calling.

We get a 'senior' 10% discount on Kroger brand food and a $5.00 off 'coupon price' on the cars oil changes. I get my graham crackers for about half price at the Dollar Store and no-fat crackers for $1.00 at H.E.B. That's enough for tonight, I don't want to brag.

Thanks for peeking in, Happy Valentine's Day.
..
Keep on with the ideas, I know there is something that I don't do yet. :-)
..

 
At 7:42 PM, Blogger Cliff said...

I think my wife has been using that stop the agitation idea for some time now. She makes me leave the house everyday and go to work.

 
At 2:30 PM, Blogger Nankin said...

Lucy, I've even been buying gas on a gift card. It saves me 3 cents on every gallon and its' from an American owned oil company.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home