Friday, January 09, 2009

Friday's Quickies

Christmas and New Years have passed and once again we start a new year…Did you make any resolutions? One of mine is pretty simple, but important to me. I want to be able to take a shower before 8:00am. every morning, sounds simple doesn’t it. So many times, I’ll get out of bed and start doing things around the house or I’ll get on the computer and check my email first thing in the morning…… Before you know it the clock says 11:00am. and there I am still in my jammies. TF is always saying, “Hun, get your shower.” I’ll say, "OK, just let me throw these towels in the washer first"…..I have tried to get my shower early and I have come to the conclusion that I need to take my shower at night instead. How can something so simple, be so hard? Oh Well.

Bonnie leaves for school in four days. She will be going to Texas A & M University to the Engineering school. She will be living with a young lady, that is working on her Masters degree, in a house she just bought a couple of months ago. I went up with her last Wednesday to help her take some of her “stuff” up there and got to see the house and meet her room mate. I think the girls are going to get along great and have some good times as roomies. My SIL, Jennifer’s husband , will be helping her take her bed and large items up on Monday. He has a truck and a trailer and he has volunteered to help her with that. She is a bit anxious about the move, but I know she will do fine.

Our church meeting, this year, has moved from 2:30pm. to 8:30am. I am not that much of a morning person and this should be interesting…. I am still working with our group to get their food storage. I think, more that ever, it is important to be prepared for what could happen with this economy. I brought home another 25lb. bag of white beans to put up after reading Diane’s recipes for white bean soup. The other hat that I wear is for emergency preparedness….Our ham radio group is busy getting ready for next hurricane season. We have several classes planned and we have been trying to get radios in the hands of our new members in the group. We found a great price on some single band radios that are awesome…

Last night, TF and I were watching “27 Dresses” on TV. It is such a cute movie. The one sister was trying to tell the other one about the guy she was dating; He happened to be her boss and hopeful boyfriend. She was jealous of their relationship and she was trying to tell her sister some of the things that were not good about him….”He sometimes doesn’t wear socks” she says….The other sister says, “That isn’t a deal breaker.” It got me to thinking, what would be a deal breaker? So here’s the question: What would have been a deal breaker in the relationship with your spouse?

OK, something frugal: Have you been shopping the after Christmas sales? Right now, Walgreens, CVS, Walmart and many other stores have marked their Christmas items down 75% off. I always buy my Christmas wrapping paper, cards and any other items I will need for next year at this time. I really needed more cookie tins and paper plates for next year so it was on the top of my list….Thankfully I found them and a few more things that I needed and wanted. I usually buy my stocking stuffers at this time and save a bundle on them…..Give it a try, you will be glad that you did…….Also, check out the January white sales and the mark downs on fall clothing.

Do you believe in second chances? Boy this guy sure did get one.

Have a great week everyone!

14 Comments:

At 8:04 AM, Blogger T. F. Stern said...

Glad I wear socks...

The movie 27 Dresses was okay; but we also watched a really dumb movie about really dumb people, Darwin Awards; about folks who figured out interesting ways to remove themselves from the gene pool. We know we shouldn't have been laughing as these idiots exited mortality in their own ways; but some of them were just too funny not to laugh.

I still am glad I wear clean socks and clean underwear; just in case I get hit by a truck it would make my mother happy.

 
At 8:33 AM, Blogger Diane@Diane's Place said...

Deal breakers? Hmmm.....infidelity, disrespect to women in general and me in particular, not bathing and refusing to start, LOL! ;o)

For that ham and bean soup recipe, I'd recommend cutting back on the water a bit. It was a little too watered down for my taste, so next time I make it I'll reduce the water by at least half. You can always add more, right?

I'm trying to type with Emmy in my lap. It's a little difficult, LOL! ;o)

I wish Bonnie all the best in her move and her schooling.

Have a great weekend, Lucy.

Love and hugs,

Diane

 
At 9:07 AM, Blogger CozyMama said...

i work from home and am currently still in my jammies.

 
At 11:11 AM, Blogger Big Dave T said...

I take my shower at 6:25 a.m. on workdays, later on weekends unless we go to the early mass on Sunday.

Smoking was a deal-breaker for me during my youthful single days. I wasn't a smoker myself and wanted my partner to be a non-smoker likewise.

 
At 12:29 PM, Blogger Mountain Mama said...

Happy New Year Lucy!
I never make resolutions anymore. I used to, but learned they were too easy to break making me feel like a failure. Now I just ask the Lord to help me to be pleasing to Him. If I can do that then it's well enough.
I did some shopping yesterday and did buy some gift wrap, ribbon and gift tags for 75% off. I have done that for several years.
I am impressed that you are planning to get up so early and have your Church meeting at 8:30. My eyes usually aren't even open yet at that time.
I bought three packages of Lima beans yesterday and plan to make soup from them. This is a good time of year for soup, chili and stews.

 
At 1:59 PM, Blogger Oh great One said...

The only after Christmas items I picked up were 2008 ornaments for the kids and a new tree skirt. I'm still using wrapping paper I picked up YEARS ago! Yay!

 
At 7:12 PM, Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

27 Dresses is a cute movie. A deal breaker? I guess if my spouse-to-be turned out to be a liar, I would most likely not have married him. I'm glad that after 25 years of marriage, I know I married a keeper.
:-)
Bonnie and her new roomie will have fun times, I am sure. My daughter's roommate has the same name, so the two Courtney's have been having fun while slaving away at college.

Buying Christmas stuff after the holidays when they are marked down is a great way to save money!

Happy New Year!!!!!
Get in the shower before 8 a.m.! That's an order!
:-)

 
At 10:28 AM, Blogger Marla said...

I was going to catch up on reading blogs and then get busy. I am still in my jammies, and it's 10:30 am. already. I am going to try your roast recipe tonight so I don't have to take time out for cooking on sunday.

 
At 7:28 AM, Blogger Cliff said...

Just have TF tell you each morning that if you don't shower right now, he'll make you shower with him.

On the deal breaker...I was so smitten that I would have put up with a lot. Fortunately I haven't had to put up with anything that was a deal breaker.
I remember Rodney Dangerfield talking about intimate relations with his wife and that she had started limiting him to once a month but that he felt lucky, She cut some guys out altogether.
Sorry I had to say it.

 
At 2:31 PM, Blogger Rachel said...

LOL at Cliff's comment! That shower comment might work! Haha!

Smoking, drinking, and lying would be deal breakers for me.

I buy lots of goodies after they are marked down after Christmas. It's the best time to buy them!

 
At 4:32 PM, Blogger Jess said...

Have a wonderful week ahead, and lots of love to you!

Hope you get to take showers earlier! lol

At least you get to take them! SOme people don't ever get to take showers.... so just look at the bright side!

Love, Jess

 
At 9:23 AM, Blogger CozyMama said...

27 dresses is a great movie.

 
At 3:13 PM, Blogger Putz said...

my wife always buys ribbons and paper after christmas salwes and then she forgets she has them and buys them again at christmas time, and when she does this for a feww years she ends up with hundreds of ribbons and hasn't got anywhere to store them so she gives them away to others, so that after sale christmas stuff can backfire on you....one thing that she does that i must commilment her on, she is itliznand makes a christmas cookie from italy and they are pazels, buttery rich and puts a bow on the top of about 6 cookies and gives them to almost anyone anywhere...i thinks she does that to get rid of the bows

 
At 3:17 PM, Blogger Putz said...

my wife always buys ribbons and paper after christmas salwes and then she forgets she has them and buys them again at christmas time, and when she does this for a feww years she ends up with hundreds of ribbons and hasn't got anywhere to store them so she gives them away to others, so that after sale christmas stuff can backfire on you....one thing that she does that i must commilment her on, she is itliznand makes a christmas cookie from italy and they are pazels, buttery rich and puts a bow on the top of about 6 cookies and gives them to almost anyone anywhere...i thinks she does that to get rid of the bows p.s our meeting is now at 8;30 also which my wife hates but i purely love and also my high priest lesson out of the real neat josph smith manuel that i have to have ready by 7 am every sunday for our first meeting is priesthood meeting and i have to be ready

 

Post a Comment

<< Home