Friday, December 05, 2008

Letter by a Florida teacher ................

A teacher speaks:

This is a subject close to my heart. Do you know that we have adult students at the school where I teach who are not US citizens and who get the PELL grant, which is a federal grant (no pa y back required) plus other federal grants to go to school?

One student from the Dominican Republic told me that she didn't want me to find a job for her after she finished my program, because she was getting housing from our housing department and she was getting a PELL grant which paid for her total tuition and books, plus money leftover.

She was looking into WAIT which gives students a CREDIT CARD for gas to come to school, and into CARIBE which is a special program (check it out - I did) for immigrants and it pays for child care and all sorts of needs while they go to school or training. The one student I just mentioned told me she was not going to be a US Citizen because she plans to return to the Dominican Republic someday and that she 'loves HER country.'

I asked her if she felt guilty taking what the US is giving her and then not even bothering to become a citizen and she told me that it doesn't bother her, because that is what the money is there for!

I asked the CARIBE administration about their program and if you ARE a US Citizen, you don't qualify for their program. And all the while, I am working a full day, my son-in-law works more than 60 hours a week, and everyone in my family works and pays for our education.

Something is wrong here. I am sorry but after hearing they want to sing the National Anthem in Spanish - enough is enough. Nowhere did they sing it in Italian, Polish, Irish (Celtic), German or any other language because of immigration. It was written by Francis Scott Key and should be sung word for word the way it was written. The news broadcasts even gave the translation -- not even close. Sorry if this offends anyone but this is MY COUNTRY.

IF IT IS YOUR COUNTRY SPEAK UP -- please pass this along. I am not against immigration -- just come through like everyone else. Get a sponsor; have a place to lay your head; have a job; pay your taxes, live by the rules AND LEARN THE LANGUAGE as all other immigrants have in the past -- and GOD BLESS AMERICA!

PART OF THE PROBLEM, Think about this: If you don't want to forward this for fear of offending someone -- YOU'RE PART OF THE PROBLEM! It is Time for America to Speak up If you agree -- pass this along, if you don't agree --- delete it!

Note from Lucy: Thanks Dick Webster, for emailing this to me. This makes my blood boil. I have a daughter who has gone back to school after 12 years on her own and she is working tooth and nail to get some funds for school. In the state of Texas, many of the "illegal’s" go to school on "in state" tuition....There is no way they are in state.... I read a story last year where one of our solders could not get in state tuition because he had been gone for a year.....Guess where he was? IRAQ! Who gave the government permission to use my taxpayer money like this? Don't get me started!!!!

15 Comments:

At 1:21 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

wow... if this is true, it's outrageous.

 
At 6:31 AM, Blogger Big Dave T said...

And I don't think things are going to get any better under the incoming administration. Expect more of the same.

What aggravated me this past year is that my son who sometimes works two jobs and takes out loans to pay his way through college didn't get one of the economic stimulus checks that were sent out this past year. Yet people who earn nothing and contribute zip to the economy did qualify for the government stimulus.

 
At 6:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's pretty much the same all across the western world, the losers, no-hopers, lazy parasites and illegals get rewarded while the citizens get to work and pay for it all. You are right to be outraged.

Thanks for stopping by my blog by the way.

 
At 6:53 AM, Blogger Granny Annie said...

You can stew and boil all you want and this is truly painful to read about, but more than half of our country just voted for more of the same. We're stuck for now.

 
At 9:35 AM, Blogger Putz said...

AH, CONSERVATIVE VS LIBERAL THINKING....i like it when and if my boy gets mental health for his scitzophrenia, how am i supposed to feel when someone else in this world gets help?????

 
At 1:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you check "pell grants" on
www.snopes.com, you will find that this letter is false. It has extensive information about why this letter can not be true...
thank goodness.

 
At 5:43 PM, Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

I've decided to stand in line for all the give outs.
I want to be bailed out of paying my mortgage; it's a struggle I'm tired of, so I'll let the gov't pay it for me.
I want both my kids' college tuitions payed for. It is very hard to make ends meet while putting kids through school. Gimme, gimme, gimme!
I want state of the art, top of the line, best there is FREE health care, and I don't want to wait to get surgery or appointments when I want them.
My hand is out, so bring on those bailouts and rescues.
You think I'm kidding?
I'm not. I want them.
Who wouldn't want free stuff?
Somehow, I don't think I will be getting any freebies, even though I could sure use them.
All I know is somebody has to pay for all those gov't handouts, and I don't want it to be me.. or my kids.

Very thought provoking post, Lucy.
It is hard to know where the line should be drawn when it comes to gov't freebies. One thing's for sure, legal citizens should always have precedence over illegals when it comes to any kind of gov't freebie. Private charities can give as they please to whomever they please, but taxpayer money should benefit our citizens.

 
At 11:56 PM, Blogger Diane@Diane's Place said...

I've seen this email before. For what it's worth, I agree with you. It's outrageous and all of it needs to change, and now!

Hope you have a great weekend, Lucy. :o)

Love and hugs,

Diane

 
At 8:22 AM, Blogger Kelly said...

Huh, I got jack squat.

 
At 2:46 PM, Blogger Cliff said...

Yep, I'm with ya on this one Lucy. But then I guess I always am.

 
At 9:42 AM, Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

Lucy,

I got this email too-and was outraged, just as you are.

It makes no sense that illegals are taken care of before our own legal citizens are!

...One thing for sure, it will NOT improve with the president we have just elected!


Junie

 
At 10:35 AM, Blogger Rachel said...

I had gotten this e-mail before. Some people do think that the world owes them a living. Sad but true.

Like others have said, with our new president it will probably only get worse.

 
At 7:26 PM, Blogger Jess said...

Totally agree...but that's like the Welcome to America...now learn English thing...lol

Have a great week ahead...Hope all is well with you

Jess

 
At 11:02 PM, Blogger Susie Q said...

Yep, I agree. My son went to get his CO driver's license a few years ago. He had his birth certificate and SS. My son is tall, slim, blonde with a German last name (Central TX roots). He was told that he needed a THIRD form of ID and was given a list of acceptable ones. Except for a passport, which is almost $200 and 6-8 wks.Because there are a lot of fraudulent birth certificates coming out of Tx...they require a 3rd form of ID! And the DMV guy would not tell me that illegals buying BCs are the problem. Who else needs to BUY a BC? Come ON! And now we have to do it again when my oldest daughter gets her DL after January.

 
At 5:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This letter is a hoax.

I'd sum it all up for you but, snopes already did a good job...

Check it out:
http://www.snopes.com/politics/immigration/pellgrant.asp

 

Post a Comment

<< Home