Monday, November 10, 2008

Is your cell phone safe?

I was reading an article on the internet about safe cell phone use and thought you might like to read this information too. The article has two long paragraphs talking about testing that is being done on the safety of cell phones. Here is the suggestions from the doctor, writing the article, on how to stay safe while using you cell phone.......

Dr. Herberman's memo included 10 practical suggestions for the safe use of cell phones, developed by a committee of international experts, of which he is a member. Here is an edited version...

1. Do not allow children under 10 to use a cell phone, except for emergencies. (Note: The developing organs of a fetus or child are especially sensitive to electromagnetic fields, so pregnant moms and parents with young children should pay particular attention.)

2. Hold your cell phone as far away from your body as you can, even while talking -- for instance, using a headset or speaker whenever possible. The amplitude of the electromagnetic field goes down to one-fourth when the phone is held two inches away ... and to 1/16 at four inches. A wireless Bluetooth headset has less than 1/100th of the electromagnetic emission of a normal cell phone. Also, be aware that the phones typically ramp up power at the start of a call.

3. Avoid using your cell phone in crowded places, where you'll be exposing others to your phone's electromagnetic fields.

4. Reduce electromagnetic emissions by minimizing time spent carrying your cell phone on your person or even sitting nearby -- for instance, while sleeping, keep your phone at least two feet away. This is especially important if you are pregnant. Another safety strategy is to use the "flight" or "off-line" mode, which blocks emissions but still lets you play games or check your calendar.

5. If your cell phone has an internal antenna, keep the back of the phone pointed out and away from you so that the transmitted electromagnetic fields are not directed at your body.

6. Use your cell phone to establish contact or only for brief conversations. For longer conversations, use a land line.

7. When making a call, wait till the person you are calling has picked up before putting your cell phone to the ear. This limits both the power and duration of your electromagnetic exposure. Also, regularly switch from one ear to the other while talking.

8. If your cell phone signal is weak, wait until it is stronger to use it. Similarly avoid using it when you are traveling in a vehicle at high speed -- this automatically increases the phone's power output as it repeatedly attempts to connect to a new relay antenna.

9. Text messages limit duration of exposure and proximity of the phone to the body -- use these instead of calls to communicate whenever you can.

10. Choose a device with the lowest SAR possible (SAR = Specific Absorption Rate, which is a measure of the amount of radiofrequency energy absorbed by the body). Aim for an SAR of below 1.6 watts per kilogram of body weight.

Source(s):

Ronald B. Herberman, MD, founding director, University of Pittsburgh Cancer Institute, Pittsburgh.

Note from Lucy: As some of you know, I go to a natural health care doctor. He tested me, while holding my cell phone, and suggested that I wear a magnetic bracelet on my wrist while using the cell phone. Ever since then, I wear two little magnetic bracelets when I am using my cell phone or am using my ham radio, since the emit radio waves. I think I would rather be safe than sorry. TF used a hands free unit while driving. So far I haven't been able to get him to wear the magnetic bracelets.....it just isn't "manly"....

Have a great week everyone......

16 Comments:

At 8:46 AM, Blogger Granny Annie said...

I'm not afraid of using cell phones but perhaps I should be.

 
At 9:44 AM, Blogger Putz said...

my old boss jay cluff used to wear a magnetic bracelet on his arm and he was one of the most energetic people i know, while i was falling asleep on him about 2 in the afternoon because of my diabitis, he was running cirles around me...have been taking iron and wish for an old time tonic that would be nutricious for me...any ideas?????

 
At 10:04 AM, Blogger Rachel said...

As many people that use cell phones these days there must be a lot of that electromagnetic stuff going around! Lots of people don't even have land lines anymore. They rely just on their cell phones. I have a cell phone but it's only used when I travel or for emergencies. I am just not fond of using them that much. They are handy if you need them in an emergency though. People use them everywhere. I see so many people driving while talking on their phones. Honestly it's like it's just glued to their ear! People talk on them in the grocery store. When I'm shopping I'd like to do it in peace. The same with driving! But to each their own. I know some people LOVE them. I love them for emergencies, not for casual talking.

 
At 2:24 PM, Blogger Jess said...

This is great...I think I may purchase a magnetic bracelet soon to help with this.

i do use my cell phone too much.

have a great week

 
At 3:16 PM, Blogger Diane@Diane's Place said...

No more than I use my cell phone I think I'm safe. I own my phone, it doesn't own me, unlike many people I know.

Have a great week, Lucy.

Love and hugs,

Diane

 
At 8:35 PM, Blogger Big Dave T said...

No, I wouldn't wear the bracelets either. I'd just deal with the electromagnectic fields. Who knows? It might turn me into a superhero or something.

But truth be told, I don't own a cell phone.

 
At 1:12 AM, Blogger Marla said...

I don't use a cell phone much, imagne that!

 
At 12:35 PM, Blogger Jim said...

Hi Lucy -- What about the Blue Toothes people wear on their ears?
I put the pillow between myself and our cell phone when I am sleeping. That way it will wake me up if it is ringing.
..
I don't need a MacDonald's delivery either, I don't get anything delivered except the mail. I like to drive, it is only eight miles to the closest MacDonalds.

Besides that I can make a hot dog(s) or a cold turkey and Swiss sandwich(es).
..

 
At 8:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Seems like most of these could be dealt with via using a simple corded headset/mic and holding or placing the cell phone slightly away from ones body. No more electromagnetic problems than with a normal landline handset that way.

 
At 7:45 PM, Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

We don't even have a home phone (land line).
We use four cell phones, and that's it.
I have not seen clear evidence that they are harmful, but that doesn't mean they aren't.

 
At 8:51 PM, Blogger Ralph said...

Here is another one - avoid using cell phone while driving. I can't not believe the number of people who drive in heavy traffic and under adverse weather conditions while talking on their phone.
Ralph

 
At 9:43 PM, Blogger Putz said...

do you know that i have been blogging to you longer than anyone except for ivy the dog and nosurfgirl...and after you was sherpa...trueeeeee

 
At 1:10 PM, Blogger Lucy Stern said...

Putz, don't worry, I'm not leaving.

 
At 2:09 PM, Blogger Jim said...

Lucy, thank you, yes. Charles does also and he is on the air, 80-2 Meters. He has changed his call sign to W5WF.
http://www.qrz.com/detail/W5WF

I have a lot of radios, they just aren't hooked up right now. I could plug 2-meter rigs into my car cigarette lighter any time, I do that once in a while.
Check this,
http://www.qrz.com/detail/K1TLT
..

 
At 11:20 AM, Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

People here in Los Angeles ALL seem to use cell phones, and in many cases they do not have a land line anymore, at all....!
My cell phone sits in a drawer...!
I use to have it in my car for emergencies only, but now that I am unable to go anywhere...And reception up here in the hills is Spotty....All I use is a land line....
These things that the doctor recomends makes you feel there is quite a bit of danger involved with these phones....!
The use of those Bracelets is a good idea!

 
At 6:29 PM, Blogger Ca... said...

This reminds me of the time a lady in Modesto, about 1945 or so, picked up a radio signal in her tooth. She was told it came from a home made crystal radio set a fellow there had. It bothered her so much, she had the tooth pulled.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home