Friday, October 31, 2008

More frugal facts from Dollar Stretcher

Unlisted

Want an unlisted phone number and a way to stop telemarketers at the same time? There is an easy and legal way to get a free unlisted phone number. I used to pay a monthly fee for the privilege of keeping my phone number out of the directory and then I learned that it is perfectly all right to list your phone number under any name that you want as long as the phone is billed to your real name. I chose to use my late grandfather's name, which had the added bonus of being long and difficult to pronounce. Despite being on the Do Not Call Registry, I still frequently get calls, but whenever I hear someone struggling to say his name, I know that it is a telemarketer and I am honestly able to say that he is deceased and to please remove his name from their list. They usually even apologize and never call back! Susan Note from Lucy: TF and I did this when we were first married. He was a police officer and we didn’t want to get calls from people he had arrested, so we put our phone number in our cat’s name. People who knew us knew to call “Daisy Stern”. If we got a call from someone asking for Daisy, we knew it was a telemarketer or an insurance man and we would say that Daisy didn’t live there any more.

Dry Winter Air?

To easily dry clothes in the winter and add much needed moisture that a fireplace takes from my home, I use a clothes rack on wheels to dry some of my clothes. I have an adjustable rack that stands about four feet off the ground and holds about 15 t-shirts on hangers. I simply wheel the rack into the room with the fireplace and let the heat in the room do the drying. I keep it far enough away for safety. If company comes, I can easily wheel it away out of sight. K in PA

Before You Rent

My husband and I wanted to move into another home. We rent, and of course, there is the first month's rent and a deposit required. I looked at this home before they'd cleaned and painted it. I talked with the agent who also manages the property and asked her if I could paint the walls for her and knock a little off of the deposit. I know how to spackle and paint professionally so this was a small job for me. She was ecstatic and asked me if I'd accept half off of the rent and she'd provide the paint. Of course, I was game. We had a deal.

If you have the time and the talent, this is a wonderful way to help yourself and your new landlord. It is also a nice way to pave a new relationship with someone who has a lot of say over the next home you go to. LynAnne M. Note from Lucy: My SIL did the same thing when he rented a new office space. He is a drywall man and he went in and fixed holes, textured and painted. Great idea!

*********
Pet Tips

Do you have a small dog that needs clothing during the cold winter months? If so, don't buy the expensive dog outfits in department stores. Instead, make a trip to you local Salvation Army or Goodwill store, and find the infant's clothing bin. Buy some sweatshirts and/or t-shirts for as little as 50 cents each. Try those on the small dog, and do whatever minor stitching needs to be done for the apparel to fit the dog. I have a miniature dachshund and usually only need to taper the bottom of the garment with minor stitching to fit snugly over his belly. Sometimes, depending on the size of the dog, you
may not have to do altering.

Have a cat and need a cheap litter enclosure? Buy a tall plastic storage box at a dollar store, cut a round hole in one end, and put your litter pan inside. This works like a charm. This idea also works well for bedding inside the plastic container for cats to snooze in private comfort. C.A.

Swimming Up a Debt Waterfall? Try This
Small steps can give you the energy to tackle a big debt


Buying a used car? How to spot a lemon.

Firewood Facts: Know the facts before you burn firewood in your fireplace..

How Far on a Tank of Gas? Do you know all the variables that affect your car? Try this fun interactive

Baby Boomers – a dollar stretcher website, just for you.


Family – want some ideas for your family? Here it is….

Have a great weekend everyone!

8 Comments:

At 3:05 PM, Blogger Mountain Mama said...

More great tips. I hadn't thought of getting baby clothes to alter for my dogs but I will sure be looking now. I have made them coats from fleece and they love them. Yorkie's don't have an undercoat so they get cold in the winter months.
Now I'm looking forward to shopping for them at Valu*Village! Thanks

 
At 10:30 PM, Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

Happy Halloween!!

I admit I indulged in some chocolate today.
It was my duty.
I hope you did too.

:-)

I put all our numbers on the Do Not Call Registry quite awhile ago, and luckily we've not had any problems with sales calls. That idea of using another name is a brilliant!

 
At 11:34 PM, Blogger Marla said...

I love all of these tips that you post! They are fun to read and really helpful!

 
At 10:37 AM, Blogger Putz said...

we have a heated pad and heated water bowl and a warm big dog house with hat inside and take duke out everyday for a run and our cat also has a heating pad and a copvered house

 
At 12:35 PM, Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

WOW! Lots of GREAT Tips, my dear...! Where do you find these goodies?
Thanks for you GOOD WISHES, Lucy...And I believe I did write about the things you mentioned. I think on my way to my 75th Birthday I wrote about all my cats and how they came to me...At least, that is my memory of it...lol!
I think I also wrote about how I got my house, but I will have to look at my archives to make sure...! If it isn't there...I will do a post about it. It is a kind of interesting story.

 
At 3:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Daisy, is Tom around?
..

 
At 11:31 AM, Blogger Big Dave T said...

I can't seem to get to the car lemon site. But the other sites seem more than useful to me.

That phone bit is interesting. Our line has been deluged the past few months with candidate pitches and robo-calls. I see light at the end of the tunnel there however.

 
At 11:20 PM, Blogger Rachel said...

Great stuff Lucy!! You come up with such great ideas!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home