Thursday, October 09, 2008

Mexican Chicken Corn Chowder

Taken from "Girlfriends on the Go! A Busy Mom's Guide to Make-Ahead Meals"

* 1 1/2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breasts
* 1/2 cup chopped onion
* 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
* 3 Tbsp. butter
* 2 chicken bouillon cubes
* 1 cup hot water
* 1 tsp. ground cumin
* 2 cups half and half
* 2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
* 1 (15 oz.) can creamed corn
* 1 (4 oz.) can chopped green chilies
* 1/4 tsp. hot sauce (Tabasco)
* 1 bag tortilla chips


In large saucepan, brown chicken, onion, garlic, and butter. Dissolve bouillon in hot water and add to chicken. Then add cumin and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 5 minutes. Add remaining ingredients. Cook until cheese melts. Serve topped with crushed tortilla chips.

This is a great recipe to eat on a cold night.

8 Comments:

At 9:42 PM, Blogger Granny Annie said...

This same recipe was listed as on this week's Menus4Moms. I have all the ingredients and want to try it but Ron doesn't think it sounds all that good. I consider seeing it twice an omen to make the stuff. Don't you? Have you actually tried it and was it delicious?

 
At 10:34 PM, Blogger Lucy Stern said...

Annie - I haven't tried the recipe but it sounded so good that I just had to post it. I will probably make it sometime next week. If you make yours, let me know how it turns out.

 
At 11:08 PM, Blogger Jim said...

It sounds good to me! Except I can't eat corn anymore, doctor's orders. Maybe some lima beans could be substituted?
I'd proably leave out the green chilies, I don't eat them anymore either. And I would put the Tabasco Sauce on the table and not in the pot.
:-)
..
BTW, the truck is a post down now. Katrin is the picture of the day, followed by our 'horse apple' harvesting pictures.
..

 
At 11:53 PM, Blogger MightyMom said...

Jim, if you leave out the tobasco and green chilies and substitute lima beans (??) for corn then it is no longer "Mexican chicken corn chowder"...I'd just call it Jim's chick-bean chowder instead and enjoy!

 
At 7:36 AM, Blogger Cliff said...

mightymom: Now that there was funny.
Crushed tortilla chips? Is there some other kind?

 
At 7:37 AM, Blogger Lucy Stern said...

Jim, Mightymom is right.....

 
At 4:32 PM, Blogger Oh great One said...

This sounds fantastic! CCB doesn't like corn so I'll have to try this one out on the kids when he isn't home! Thanks.

 
At 5:24 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

This is delicious! I have fixed this many times as it is a family favorite. I have to double the recipe and I add one bag frozen yellow corn & one bag frozen white corn. Top with shredded cheddar cheese and scoop it up with tortilla chips! Mmmm! Freeze leftovers.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home