Friday, September 12, 2008

Ike will be here in about 24 hours….

Yes, we are “hunkering down” aka: “sheltering in place” for hurricane IKE. The hurricane looks like it will come in near Freeport, Texas some time in the wee morning hours of Saturday morning…..We should feel the affects of the storm as early as noon tomorrow….wait a minute, that’s noon today….Where did the time go?

We are as prepared as we can be. Today I went to Home Depot to buy 13 – 50lb. bags of sand and I made sand bags for our back patio area. Water tries to come in our back door for just a bad rain storm, what’s it going to do in a hurricane? We are protected from that now. Last Tuesday night I hired some men to come cut down a big limb that was hanging over our house. The last thing we need is a hole in our roof from a limb banging on it. We purchased lots of bottled water. We have extra bread and food that you can eat when the power is out. TF made sure that all of the cars were topped off with gas. He filled up all of our little gas cans to use with his generator if the need should arise. All of the lawn furniture has been put up and there should not be anything in the yard that can blow thru a window. I have the flashlights and lanterns ready to go and our little TV is charging right now and should be ready for use when the power is out. TF has filled our ice chest up with ice and has put bottled water and Dr. Peppers in there to chill down. I hope I haven’t forgotten anything. I found this awesome website to track the storm. Check it out.

Our ham radio club has been having practice nets and we are in the process of the real thing now, no more practicing…. I hope we can be of help to others when there is no other way to communicate. This should be an interesting “trial by fire”.

This afternoon, about 4 o’clock, Jennifer called to say that she was taking Jocelyne, my three year old granddaughter, to the hospital. She had a 104 degree fever and was acting really strange. By the time she had arrived at the hospital it had gone up to 105! I dashed down there in time to hear the doctor say that she has pneumonia. My poor sweet princess was lying in the bed with an IV in her arm and a bewildered look on her face. She was very happy to see me but she was in no mood to talk. They wanted to transfer her down to Texas Children’s Hospital but because of the hurricane they decided that she would do better at home. They got her fever down and Jennifer and Jocelyne should be getting home right about now. I hope Jen is able to handle a sick child and a hurricane…. This day has been a real roller coaster……

Pray for us everyone! Keep your fingers crossed………

25 Comments:

At 1:08 AM, Blogger Diane@Diane's Place said...

Sounds like y'all have done all you can to prepare. I hope y'all don't flood. Y'all will probably get some high winds but the flooding rains will most likely be the worst part for you.

We're forecast to get some weather off Ike when it comes inland. Sunday is supposed to be the worst of it for us as the forecast stands right now.

I'll sure be praying, and already have been, Lucy.

I'll also pray for J. Emmy is having some medical issues right now too. Jessica has posted a little about it on her blog if you get a chance to read it before the weather turns bad and your power goes off.

Y'all stay safe, my friend.

Love and hugs,

Diane

 
At 7:45 AM, Blogger Granny Annie said...

You and yours are definitely in my prayers. That tracking site is awesome. Have you driven around and looked for things your neighbors might not have taken in? I heard something on the news about looking for anything anywhere that could become a projectile. Bless your hearts and your sweet granddaughter's too.

 
At 10:25 AM, Blogger Jess said...

Keeping yall in my prayers!

 
At 11:24 AM, Blogger Oh great One said...

You are in my prayers for sure! Sounds like you've prepared pretty well. Having some cash on hand is a good idea too since atms and such won't work if the power goes out. Also a camp stove or grill will serve you well if you lose power and need a hot meal.

Hang on. I'll be watching the storm and saying my prayers!

 
At 3:53 PM, Blogger BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

I've been thinking about you, Lucy, and all those who live in Houston, Galveston, and the surrounding areas. My prayers are with you all.

Ike appears to be a formidable hurricane.

 
At 7:00 PM, Blogger Lucy Stern said...

Diane - So far so good. Sorry Miss Emily is having a rough time. I hope the doctors find out what is causing her problem...

Granny Annie - Isn't that the most awesome site....We have all of our outside "stuff" put up for now. I let the neighbors around me know about doing that so the only thing I am really worried about are my neighbors four pine trees. I hope we wake up tomorrow morning with our house and cars intact.

Jessica - Keep it up!!!!

Oh great one - we have our cash and we have a camp stove with plenty of fuel. We also have TF's generator if needed. Keep the prayers coming.

Barbara - Prayers are always welcome.....It is a monster hurricane as far as size goes. No matter where we are, we will get hit pretty good....Let's hope that it doesn't intensify beyond a cat.2 storm...

 
At 7:01 PM, Blogger Lucy Stern said...

Well everyone, I hear that the storm surge is going to be huge...I am soooo glad that I don't live down near the coast. A lot of my friends have had to evacuate and they don't know what condition their houses will be when they return....I'm praying for them.

 
At 7:16 PM, Blogger Granny Annie said...

These weather reports are certainly sounding frightful. I'm so hoping this is just another case of over reacting by the media. Guess we'll know soon enough and hope you are not in harms way. This calls for prayer for many. Keep us posted on your well being Lucy.

 
At 8:21 PM, Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

You have been on my mind all day and as I watch the news it sounds like you are really in for a Rough Time, my dear Lucy.
I send Prayers your way...For you all with the Hurricane and for your Dear Dear Princess and that Pneumonia!
Holding The Best Thoughts Possible, my dear.

 
At 12:12 AM, Blogger Eve said...

You are in my prayers. You seem to have it under control. Just don't go outside because power lines or limbs falling from trees could be dangerous.
I will keep you in my prayers as well as the baby. Trouble does seem to come in threes sometimes as my Mama use to say. I was sick when we evacuated during Katrina.

 
At 10:52 AM, Blogger Fred said...

My fingers are crossed, Lucy. Lots of windows blown out downtown according to the news. Stay safe, and keep us posted.

 
At 11:44 AM, Blogger Oh great One said...

Looks as though the eye is past you now. I know the wind is probably still howling. I've been praying for you and your fellow Texans. I'm looking forward to the all clear from you.

 
At 5:53 PM, Blogger Rachel said...

Lucy, I hope that all turned out well and there was no damage. I hope your grand daughter is better too!

 
At 10:43 PM, Blogger Cliff said...

We've prayed and are awaiting word.

 
At 10:51 PM, Blogger Mountain Mama said...

I pray all is well and Jocelyne is better and you aren't having any trouble from the hurricane. It must be so scary to live with that threat.
God bless you and your's.

 
At 11:15 PM, Blogger MightyMom said...

well, we made it with only a bit of troublesome rain...but we're waaaaaay inland.

how'd you do??

 
At 5:50 PM, Blogger Susie said...

Hi Lucy,
I don't know where exactly you are in TX, but I've said a prayer that you're all OK. Update when you can.
((hugs))

 
At 10:11 AM, Blogger Putz said...

is anyone in the world as prepareed as LUCY STERN?

 
At 2:16 PM, Blogger Rachel said...

I know what we went through.. I can only imagine you guys! Hope you update soon! Your site was a real motivator for me to get things together.

 
At 3:30 PM, Blogger Oh great One said...

I'm glad to know you are safe and well. Take care of yourself!

 
At 3:42 PM, Blogger Jim said...

Hi Lucy -- Just checking on you. I might listen to you on the radio when I get home Saturday morning.
We have evacuated to Katy and are staying with our daughter.
Our lights came on at 11:35 Wednesday night. We had stayed at our home until Tuesday.
Hope to hear from you soon and maybe see you too.
..
Oh yes, I have written blogs galore while here, now I am trying to catch up with reading the other ones.
..

 
At 4:41 PM, Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

You were as prepared as anyone could have been.
I hope your home did not sustain damage and that you made it through any power outages or other problems without too much trouble.
Your poor, little granddaughter. I'm sure everyone was stressed out about her and wanting to be sure she recovered fully and quickly.
I hope to read good news here when I return.

 
At 10:13 PM, Blogger Granny Annie said...

Was happy to have a comment from you on one of my posts. So very glad to know you are alive and kickin'.

We're heading to Corpus Christi next week and hear that they are open for business and were untouched by the hurricane.

Will be glad to hear your full report and are blessing your hearts each day that you recover from the disaster.

 
At 8:02 AM, Blogger Carolyn said...

I hope you fared well.


Carolyn

 
At 1:23 PM, Blogger Fred said...

I saw a comment from you on another blog, so I'm happy to see you out there. Hope all is well.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home