Thursday, August 14, 2008

Cookies, Tacos, Deep breathing & Herbs....

Ruby's Coconut No-Bake Cookies
Courtesy of our free Healthy Cookies Recipes Newsletter
Chet, my daughter-in-law made these for her children when they were small. Good heath cookies.
1 cup peanut butter, either smooth or chunky
1/2 cup honey
1 cup seedless raisins
1 1/2 cups flaked coconut
1 teaspoon vanilla
Mix peanut butter with honey, raisins and vanilla. Spread coconut on waxed paper or a flat pan. Drop spoonful of peanut mixture on coconut and roll to coat, ompletely. Chill. Makes about 3 dozen. Enjoy!

A Simple Qigong Exercise
I got this from ChetsDay website:

Here are Mark's thoughts and the "how to do it" details for an easy and highly effective Qigong exercise that you should use to drain tension and thus improve your life...it's a terrific one to try to get a sense of what this Oriental approach to natural health is all about.

Both use very deep breathing in their practice. The yoga practice even has a name for it - pranayama.

In the Qigong practice, you stand up,relaxed, and take a deep breath in while raising your arms over your head, then lowering your hands slowly while you breath out and imagine that the "bad" Qi is draining out of your body through your feet into the earth while the fresh Qi is entering through the top of your head. I find many of the Qigong practices "subtle"(that means I don't feel anything).

But this one is very relaxing, and I can feel the tension drain out of me, and I feel re-energized. How's that for a simple Qigong exercise? And it didn't cost you a dime. Try it. You'll like it.

Herbs for Your Medicine Cabinet

If you're ready to fill the natural remedy side of your medicine cabinet, this article provides an excellent list of herbs to stock.

Garbanzo Tacos
Courtesy of our free Healthy Vegetarian Recipes newsletter.
2 can garbanzo beans
1 packet healthy taco seasoning from health food store
Lettuce
Lard-free tortillas or hard taco shells
Tomatoes
Onions
Salsa
Any other items you like on your taco
Dump both cans of beans into a skillet (but use the liquid from only one can). Dump in the taco seasoning. Stir and let simmer for about 10-15 minutes. Add beans and other ingredients to your tacos, burritos, and/or taco salads. Especially good recipe for those who aren't crazy about the flavor of garbanzo beans. The seasoning takes over. Serves 6.
Note from Lucy: If you don’t want to buy taco seasoning form from the health food store, just buy regular taco seasoning. Also you can use regular tortillas and taco shells if you want to. I guess it depends on how easy you want to make this dish.

Have a great week everyone!

12 Comments:

At 1:18 PM, Blogger Jess said...

Great Post...hope all is well with you and have a wonderful end of the week.

 
At 9:30 PM, Blogger butterflygirl said...

I may have to try those cookies!

 
At 10:15 AM, Blogger Jim said...

Hi Lucy, you have a great weekend too! Thank you for looking at my car reading post this morning.
Adi and I went for a walk and have another to read for next week or whenever.
Both of your recipes sound good, I could try some. Lately I have been cooking myself a Lean Pocket.
And I will never try Yoga. I am leary of the environment around those who do Yoga. :-)
..

 
At 10:53 AM, Blogger Susie said...

Hi Lucy,
I think my grandson would enjoy helping me make those cookies!
Have a wonderful weekend :)

 
At 10:54 AM, Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

Some great advice on ALL Fronts! I like the Herb suggestions....Garlic is a WONDERFUL curative yummy thing! I am going to try that one excersize...It sounds easy and very very helpful, too!

 
At 1:26 PM, Blogger Oh great One said...

Lucy this is totally unrelated to your post but I just had a feeling you would have an answer for me. I was looking over one of the websites you mentioned in your posts and found an overnight oatmeal recipe for the crockpot. I decided it would be a great time saver for busy school mornings. It came out gummy and yucky. We couldn't eat it. I know you do something similar with Wheatberries (?). Is it just a matter of adding more liquid or switching my oats? I'm still lovin' the idea but we can't hack the recipe we tried.

 
At 12:13 PM, Blogger Ralph said...

Okay - I am going to try those tacos for dinner. We like garbanzo beans but I would have never thought of this.
Ralph

 
At 2:59 PM, Blogger Putz said...

that is a good idea, to dilulte your tacos with inexpensive beans...garbanzo beans...makes the taco stuff go farther than normal

 
At 7:05 PM, Blogger Fred said...

Well, Lucy. it's our turn to have a storm head our way. We're ready, and will let you know how it goes. I don't have the ham radio, but I think everything else is ready to go.

Back to school for us may only last a day before we get a break.

 
At 7:58 PM, Blogger Big Dave T said...

They always say deep breathing exercises are great for relaxation. I'd try it at work, but I'm worried it might look a little strange to people passing by my cubicle.

 
At 9:55 AM, Blogger Jim said...

Be ware the gully washers! :-)
..

 
At 9:11 PM, Blogger Cecil said...

Hey Lucy.. I really like my highlights but I got them one time several years ago and had to go back and have them toned down.. too much blonde... I have only had them 5 times.. counting this time.. and have had several compliments so guess it works!

zztop is my sister and Winky is my nickname she gave me as a baby..

Have a good weekend... Cecil

 

Post a Comment

<< Home