Thursday, July 10, 2008

Have you ever tried this cake?

7up Cake: Recipe sent in by P.R. Montgomery

3 – sticks of butter
3 – cups Sugar
3 – Eggs
½ tsp. – Vanilla Extract
1 – (12 ounce) can 7up
3 – cups Sifted flour

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease a Bundt pan.
Cream butter, sugar and eggs; add vanilla. In three rounds, alternate adding 7up and flour into the mixture. Pour cake mixture into the prepared pan. Bake for 1 hour, o until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.

The heat at hand:
In The Barbecue! Bible, Steven Raichlen recommends the “Mississippi test” for those who don’t have grill thermometers, Hold your hand about 6 inches above the coals or gas fire and count “one Mississippi, two Mississippi,” etc., until the heat causes you to pull away. The number of seconds you can hold your hand above the heat roughly corresponds to these temperatures:
High Heat (650 degrees): 1 to 2 seconds
Medium High (400-450): 4 to 5 seconds
Medium (350) …………. 6 to 7 seconds
Medium-low (300)……... 8 to 10 seconds
Low (250-275)…………. 12 to 15 seconds

Organizing Tips for recipes:

Purge: Organizing recipes is like organizing anything else. Purge first, and be ruthless. Honestly, will you ever make that multistep Sweet Corn and Peach Trifle that requires cornmeal cake, corn pastry cream, roasted peach filling and candied corn kernels? And if you ever decide to make dolmades (stuffed grape leaves), surely you can locate another recipe.

Think: Before investing time or money in an organizational system, ask yourself what you want most, the ability to search your collection? To scale recipes up or down so that your white-bean chili will work for two people or 30? To calculate the nutritional content of Aunt Millie’s yam and pineapple casserole? Or do you value holding a recipe card written in your grandmother’s hand? How you answer such questions will guide you to the solution that suits you.

Categorize: Consider how you typically select recipes. By course (appetizer, main dish, dessert)? By function (fast and easy, for the grill)? By ingredient or season?

Update: The longer you let clipped recipes accumulate in a pile, the more daunting the prospect of organizing them. Sort and organize as you collect. Otherwise you will end up with a box in the attic, such as the one described by Cypress baker Connie Rosenthal: “I don’t look at it, but I can’t throw it away. The box is just up there living its own life.”

Backup: If you keep your recipes in a computer program, be sure to back up the files.

Note from Lucy: Yep! Sounds like me. I have a bag of recipes that sound wonderful and I might want to try someday. My “handful” of recipes that I always use are located in the kitchen drawer where I can get my hands on them. I love the recipe cards that are handed down from TF’s mom and grandmother. My favorite “chocolate glaze” recipe was cut off of the Duncan Hines box many years ago. My pancake recipe is cut off the Pioneer baking mix box. I also have recipes saved on my computer. I actually did use the Crockpot Breakfast Casserole for the Fourth of July church activity. I suppose it is time to purge the recipes in the Ziplock bag…….How do you handle your recipes?

All of today’s news comes from the Houston Chronicle “Flavor” section dated July 9, 2008.

On a personal note: Three weeks ago I pulled some muscles in my right arm while cutting some tree limbs. It has healed up well. Last night I slipped and turned my right ankle. Am I trying to kill myself???? I have gone years without incident and within three weeks, I have hurt myself twice. TF and I leave for New York next week and I should be healed by then……I’m keeping my fingers crossed….

Have a great week everyone.

17 Comments:

At 9:31 PM, Blogger Diane@Diane's Place said...

This post reminded me: Several years ago I started typing up some tried and true recipes from various cookbooks and clippings, intending to put them all on a CD and print off a copy of each to put in a recipe file. I haven't worked on it in a long time. I really need to get some more done on it so I can purge some cookbooks, etc.

Hope your ankle heals up before you leave for NY, and also that you don't do anything else to injure yourself between now and then. ;o)

Happy Friday!

Love and hugs,

Diane

 
At 9:55 AM, Blogger Jan said...

I love this cake. It has been years since I have tried it. Thanks for the reminder. I am going to make it this summer for sure. The tips are always good from you Lucy.

 
At 12:37 PM, Blogger Fred said...

I'm drinking Sprite right now...maybe I should save it for the cake. I need to pass this on to the girls...they love to throw together a good cake.

Take care of yourself!

 
At 4:48 PM, Blogger LZ Blogger said...

Lucy ~ This reminds me... Mrs. LZ found a new bottle of Bubble-Up somewhere the other day. My kids in their 30's had never even heard of it before! THX for the comment on my last post! I am glad you enjoyed it. BlogStock seemed to be a FUN-TIME for all! Have a great weekend! ~ jb///

 
At 7:57 PM, Blogger Eve said...

I love recipes that are easy to remember...3 of everything,,,I will try this. As for the Mississippi test....I'm from Mississippi but I have no idea why they picked Mississippi for that...I mean, they could just as easily have used.....all my dogs have fleas, or Every good boy does fine...you know what I mean?

I guess telling you to take it easy would ring kinda holler now that you are hurt,,but it never hurts to foucus.

 
At 9:30 PM, Blogger Jess said...

I haven't ever tried that cake... might have to though.

So sorry to hear that you have been injuring yourself. Try not to do that anymore...y'here? And hope that you ehal before your trip.

Have a good weekend!

 
At 10:12 PM, Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

Missed you at Blogstock!! I hope to meet you some day.

I do not have a lot of recipes. I have some favorites that I use again and again. I also keep new ones to try. If they work well, I add them to my tried and true recipes.

Please take care and try NOT to get injured again.
I want you to enjoy your trip to NY. A broken leg or arm would really hinder your ability to enjoy the trip.
No ladders please!! Also, do not wear high heels on rainy days. AND, don't run with scissors.
Okay??
Okay.

:-)

My mom makes 7-up cake. It is yummy!!

 
At 12:44 AM, Blogger Eve said...

I knew this sounded familiar so I looked it up in my recipe file. My Mother in Law use to make this. She always iced it with this icing.


Powdered Sugar Icing

1/2 cup powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
2 TBS water

 
At 1:14 AM, Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

I was tinking some Chocolate bits thrown in that 7Up Cake would be scrumptious!

I wrote down quite a few recipes of my Grandmothers...Back In The Day....One of the things that was so great about how she gave you the recipe was there were no "REAL" Measurments...She didn't know anything about a Cup or a Half a Cup...Whaen you said "How much flour, MaaMa?" Her answer was.."A fistful....!" Isn't that dear?

 
At 11:34 AM, Blogger Susie said...

Hi Lucy,
The 7up cake looks interesting. I immediately thought, I'll copy down the recipe! Then I read more of your post and thought how this is so me! I can never resist a new recipe and couldn't try all that I have if I lived to be 500 years old!!
Got to get a grip!
Hope your ankle heals. I can truly relate to hobbling around..

 
At 9:30 PM, Blogger Big Dave T said...

I don't think New York is one place where you want to be hurting. Most people end up doing a lot of walking there. I know I did.

Hea, nothing wrong with bragging on your daughter's A in calculus. Heck, if my kid ever got an A in ANYTHING in college, it's probably be my blog topic of the week.

 
At 7:57 AM, Blogger Hootin Anni said...

Hmmmmm, 7 up cake. Nope never tried it, but the butter content would keep me from even thinking of making it. I'd not be able to get up off my dining chair to get to my computer chair. Computer takes precedence over cake. LOL

From one Texan to another, have a glorious day. [My son lives in Houston, and I ---a little bit further -by about 300 miles down the coast]

 
At 4:41 PM, Blogger Jim said...

Hi Lucy, yes please be careful so you can have fun in NYC!
Mrs. Jim makes Coca Cola cake for our son Mike. It is a cross between chocolate and caramel.

Have fun, pack your suitcase the night before. Pack a night light and a flashlight (turn the outer battery upside down so they won't go dead if it accidently gets turned on--only works for a two cell light), some bandaids, good walking shoes, Tylenol, and other essentials you might want. Make a list then add as you remember. :-)
..

 
At 5:50 PM, Blogger Putz said...

if i had chocolate cake to go in my mouth more often, maybe you wouldn't be surprised at what came out of my mouth, like on my last blog, i swear barlow, what you say at times...lucy you blog to teach, i blog to entertain, untill some one throws me off their blog ...that has happened to me, gy the way that purplw flower fizzed and spited at the grands to me, i swear on a stack of book of mormons

 
At 7:11 AM, Blogger Lucy Stern said...

Diane - My foot is feeling better already...Thank goodness.

jan - I plan to make it this week...

fred - I bet the girls would love this cake... I'm pampering myself as I type, my feet are up on the foot stool.

LZ - Wish I had been there....Next Year a commin'.

Eve - It is an easy cake to remember the ingredients.....I always liked the "Mississippi" test. When I was a little girl we used to do the "Mississippi" test for figuring out how far away a storm was by watching the lightening and then counting to hear the thunder. Each Mississippi was a mile away....To this day I still do that.

Jessica - I'm working very hard to heal my foot before the trip...There is nothing worse than your foot hurting on a trip..

Jamie Dawn - I am trying to be good....Actually there is a ladder out in the back yard, up next to the tree. A friend of mine cut two limbs off for me so I could get my radio antenna up. I promise I won't climb that ladder...Promise!!! PS: Missed you to at Blogstock...

Eve - Thanks for the icing recipe...That would be good on my lemon bundt cake.

Naomi - My dad used to cook like that. He made the best biscuits ever and he didn't measure anything....

susie - I'm still hobbling around, but I'm better....Hopefully it will be much better by Friday.

Big Dave - Yes, I know! Last time TF and I went to New York, we walked till we couldn't move any more. I sure hope this heals up by next Friday....Yes, we are really proud of Bonnie and he "A" in Calculas. She had better make an "A" with all the studing she did. She was involved with two different study groups...

hottin annie - Yes, it is a lot of butter isn't it? lol.....I'm guessing you live near Corpus, am I right?

Jim - I am already getting things together. We are packing extra light and just taking carry on's. What am I going to do with that flash light?

Putz - No disrespect Putz.

 
At 2:00 PM, Blogger Oh great One said...

I added diet coke to a boxed cake mix. It tasted great and had no extra calories from oil or eggs. It had a little different look to it but it was yummy!

 
At 9:48 PM, Blogger BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

Lucy,

Thank you for the oldy but goodie recipe! I'll give it a try as well. When I want to cook something new, I can count on you to pass it along.

Blessings to all,
Barbara

 

Post a Comment

<< Home