Monday, March 10, 2008

Thank you to our WWII and other vets……

I’ve been baby sitting our two grandkids for the last four days while our daughter and SIL are in Denver for a wedding. They are a joy and I thank God every day for them. Tonight, after putting the kids to bed, I decided that I should check the emails before I go to sleep. I noticed one from a friend of ours that caught my eye and had me in tears. Here it is:

The story is excellent but you must go to the link at the end to get full appreciation.

The elderly parking lot attendant wasn't in a good mood!

Neither was Sam Bierstock. It was around 1 a.m., and Bierstock, a Delray Beach, Fla. , eye doctor, business consultant, corporate speaker and musician, was bone tired after appearing at an event.

He pulled up in his car, and the parking attendant began to speak. "I took two bullets for this country and look what I'm doing," he said bitterly.

At first, Bierstock didn't know what to say to the World War II veteran. But he rolled down his window and told the man, "Really, from the bottom of my heart, I want to thank you."

Then the old soldier began to cry.

"That really got to me," Bierstock says.

Cut to today.

Bierstock, 58, and John Melnick, 54, of Pompano Beach - a member of Bierstock's band, Dr. Sam and the Managed Care Band - have written a song inspired by that old soldier in the airport parking lot. The mournful "Before You Go" does more than salute those who fought in WWII. It encourages people to go out of their way to thank the aging warriors before they die.

"If we had lost that particular war, our whole way of life would have been shot," says Bierstock, who plays harmonica. "The WW II soldiers are now dying at the rate of about 2,000 every day. I thought we needed to thank them."

The song is striking a chord. Within four days of Bierstock placing it on the Web, the song and accompanying photo essay have bounced around nine countries, producing tears and heartfelt thanks from veterans, their sons and daughters and grandchildren.

"It made me cry," wrote one veteran's son. Another sent an e-mail saying that only after his father consumed several glasses of win e would he discuss "the unspeakable horrors" he and other soldiers had witnessed in places such as Anzio, Iwo Jima, Bataan and Omaha Beach. "I can never thank them enough," the son wrote. "Thank you for thinking about t hem."

Bierstock and Melnick thought about shipping it off to a professional singer, maybe a Lee Greenwood type, but because time was running out for so many veterans, they decided it was best to release it quickly, for free, on the Web. They've sent the song to Sen. John McCain and others in Washington. Already they have been invited to perform it in Houston for a Veterans Day tribute - this after just a few days on the Web. They hope every veteran in America gets a chance to hear it.

GOD BLESS every EVERY veteran...
and THANK you to those of you veterans who may receive this !

CLICK TO HEAR THE SONG AND SEE THE PICTURES:

Note from Lucy: This email had me crying before I could hardly start reading it. All I could do was think about my dad who served in WWII. He was in the Navy and his job was to work the “big guns” on the ships. He was always so proud that he could serve our country in WWII. When he died, almost eight years ago next month, the military came out and gave him a 21 gun salute. I know he would have loved it. His favorite show on TV, while I was growing up, was Victory at Sea. He talked all about the war and what it meant for our country to come out victors. So you can only imagine why my tears flowed as I watch that video and listened to the music. My dad loved history and he enjoyed watching the History channel on TV. He instilled a love for history to my son when he lived with us for a while after his heart surgery. I know if he were alive today, he would be supporting our troops for all the hard work they do for our country. Please remember to say thank you when you see a man or woman in uniform.

Have a great week everyone.

17 Comments:

At 12:42 AM, Blogger Diane@Diane's Place said...

My Daddy was a WW2 Navy SeaBee, veteran of Hawaii and Okinawa. He was in at least one episode of Victory at Sea, driving a road grader on Okinawa. He died in Dec. 2004 and he never talked much about the really bad things he saw and/or had to do.

All of our military veterans are worthy of our sincere gratitude and it's a shame they don't receive the care and recognition they truly deserve.

Saturdays I have Emmy all day and I can tell you, at the end of the day I'm whipped! Weekdays are better because I only have her 3 or 4 hours.

Have a great week, Lucy. ;o)

Hugs,

Diane

 
At 3:12 AM, Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

A lovely moving tribute to the men and women who fought in WW2....That certainly was a different time, wasn't it? The country was united in the correctness of that war....Not like today when we are the 'invaders'. There is nothing "correct" or right about this war today---absolutely nothing.

Thanks for posting this Lucy...! It is very very beautiful!

 
At 3:30 AM, Blogger MightyMom said...

well, hello and thank you for coming by my place!! Come on back just anytime!

I love this post and will link to it later this morning.

Thanks

 
At 12:21 PM, Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

OH, Lucy!

Thank you for putting this vid on! I wouldn't have wanted to miss this!


Junie

 
At 3:30 PM, Blogger Putz said...

everbody that posts here will have a story to tell, and so do I...my dad is 88, and fought on a navy boat when i was born in 1942...i remember on my birthday it was raining and i said, could daddy come home to get my birthday out of the rain before it gets too wet?????now my dad justs sits there(i am crying now lucy, darn you) and he says this is by far the hardest part of his life and he wants to be dead...well i need to thank him once again for being my father, don't I????????what else can i do???of course my kids will thak me for my"viet nam"...and i will thank my sons(3) for iraq...i hope i don't have to thank my grandsons for anything but their lds missions to "i'll go where you want me to go dear lord"

 
At 10:01 AM, Blogger Jim said...

Thank you, Lucy. I'll bet you cried. Thanks too for your Dad's service in WWII.
It's easy for the Vets to be bitter. I'm a little bitter and I didn't have to get shot at or the like. But it was five years out of my private life and I really didn't feel very necessary any of those five years.

Thanks for the visit, I left this little reply to your comment (I rarely do this),
"Lucy, I was going to steal the Chronicle new train photo but then I went there before time to post about it.
Lots of ducks around the whole park. I'm not a duck lover, nor any other bird.
Mrs. Jim and I rode the Light Rail train the day it opened. For free!"

You will have to take the kids to ride the train. I think it has a longer and prettier path now. You saw it coming over the new little bridge.
..

 
At 1:44 PM, Blogger Nankin said...

Thanks for sharing. What a wonderful tribute.

 
At 11:36 PM, Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

I've been watching the series called The War. It is unimaginable what some of our WWII vets were put through. The things they saw, and the sacrifices they made were enormous.
This song and the photos are wonderful. We owe these great people a huge debt that can never be repaid.
Men like your dad and my grandpa really did make the way of life we now enjoy possible. God only knows what we could have faced had we not fought and won that war.
Thanks for sharing the song and your heartfelt memories of your dad.
I honor his service and all those who have served on our behalf.

 
At 9:56 AM, Blogger namaste said...

oh thanks, lucy, for this beautiful and moving post. god bless your dad and all the men and women that served our country!

:)

maria

 
At 9:40 PM, Blogger Cliff said...

Thanks for the reminder. All of our servicemen, past and present, are the reason we live freely. A great big thanks to them.

 
At 2:42 AM, Blogger Merle said...

Hi Locy ~~ Great tribute to all servicemen and women who served in all the wars.My late husband and two uncles served in WW2. God bless that man who put this song out to thank them. Thanks for your comments about the Poor People story. My early days were much the same, but families were
closer in those days. Take care, my friend, Love, Merle.

 
At 4:52 AM, Blogger Rachel said...

Great post Lucy! This is a very moving tribute to our veterans. I just cannot imagine what some of those guys went through and the POW's...well..I just don't even want to think about it.

Thank God we have folks willing to fight for our country to keep us free. They are all heros.

 
At 1:26 PM, Blogger Big Dave T said...

My father, a Korean War Veteran, last year went to Washington DC. As he walked the mall there by the war memorials, he wore his army hat, with decorations that included a Purple Heart. At least a couple strangers came up to thank him for his service to the country. I know he appreciated it.

 
At 10:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sure they have God's blessing; it would be great if they also had adequate help from the federal government that sends them to war.

I heard recently that a senator who's a vet himself is pushing for a bill to adequately fund the educational benefit for today's returning veterans. He was saying it's a national disgrace. The Iraqi/Afghanistan wars have been going on longer than WWII, a higher proportion today are coming back disabled with limited future prospects, and, like so many other government programs over the last 30 years, the program for GI educational benefits has been all but trashed.

WWII vets came back to full college tuition and a stipend for living expenses. Today's vets average 6K with no stipend, which I can't even imagine what that buys them given the cost of college tuition today. The senator was saying the program could be fully funded to its WWII levels with what we spend militarily in one week in Iraq. He thinks taking care of the vets should be an integral part of making war - that we owe it to the troops.

 
At 11:46 AM, Blogger Jim said...

I'm with Paul.
..

 
At 10:16 PM, Blogger Jim said...

Hi Lucy (agan). I published my gift offer, I will see what happens.

And now, I have made an award to you of the "You Make The World A Better Place" award. Merle, my blogging buddy of Australia, gave this to me, I couldn't see that you had received this one.
The details are on my JIM'S LITTLE BLOG. I hope you like it.
..

 
At 1:32 PM, Blogger LZ Blogger said...

From this Vietnam Vet... you are WELCOME! And thanks for caring! ~ jb///

 

Post a Comment

<< Home