Thursday, March 20, 2008

Almost too busy to post..

I’ve been so busy lately that I just haven’t had time to come up with a good “frugal” post. I’ve been working on the Income Taxes, baby sitting, studying for my ham radio class and everything else that has been going on….I still can’t believe that it’s almost April…Spring is doing it’s best to come in like a lion with all the trees budding out. Pollen has been everywhere and TF’s truck and the little green car have taken on that yellow hue from all the pollen in the air. So far, fingers crossed, I have not been effected by the pollen this year. Bonnie and Jennifer have both been sniffling and taking allergy pills….

Bonnie is home from her spring break trip to Italy. She had frequent flyer miles so her air fare was really cheap and she stayed in hostels to save on hotel expenses. Here is a link to her blog so you can look at a few pictures that she took. She is now back in “school mode” and trying to rest some to recover from jet lag.

Has anyone noticed the prices of food lately? I seem to be getting less for the same amount of money. Wheat prices have doubled due to the fact that a lot of wheat farmers decided to jump on the corn (think Ethanol) band wagon last year and make some quick bucks. If you’ve noticed, anything that uses wheat has gone up in price. Corn prices are up and milk is getting more expensive. I am so glad that I bought 300 lbs. of white wheat for my food supply. I was able to get it at last years prices, so you can say that I “lucked out.”

This is Easter weekend and these thoughts rumble thru my mind: "These simple words—“He is not here, but is risen”—have become the most profound in all literature. They are the declaration of the empty tomb. They are the fulfillment of all He had spoken concerning rising again. They are the triumphant response to the query facing every man, woman, and child who was ever born to earth."

--Gordon B. Hinckley, "He Is Not Here, but Is Risen", Ensign, May 1999

Here's a recipe that you can make in advance for your Sunday dinner.

Frozen Pineapple Salad
Recipe By : Real Food for Real People
Serving Size : 8
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
2 tablespoons Flour
1 cup Unsweetened Pineapple Juice -- unsweetened
1/2 cup Butter
1/8 cup Sugar -- or Splenda
1/16 teaspoons Salt
1 Egg
2 tablespoons Lemon Juice
2 cups Crushed Pineapple -- drained
1 cup Mandarin Oranges -- drained
1/4 cup Chopped Nuts -- (optional)
10 Marshmallows
8 Maraschino Cherries, whole
1 pint Whipped Cream

Make a paste of flour and pineapple juice, then gradually add remainder of juice.
Add butter, sugar and salt. Cook in top of double boiler for approximately 10 minutes. Add the egg, slightly beaten. Continue to cook for a few minutes, stirring occasionally; then cool and add lemon juice. Add pineapple, oranges, nuts, marshmallows and cherries; then fold in whipped cream. Pour into container and freeze. Freeze in sealed, labeled container at least until frozen, or up to three months. Serve as a frozen salad or dessert.

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 365 Calories; 26g Fat (61.5% calories from fat); 3g Protein; 33g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 99mg Cholesterol; 164mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 1 Fruit; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 5 Fat; 1 Other Carbohydrates.

Have a great week everyone!

10 Comments:

At 11:20 AM, Blogger Big Dave T said...

I hear ya on the prices of grain products. Fruits and vegetables too. It's almost like I should become a full-time carnivore and eat nothing but meat. Or else not eat at all. The latter would be preferable as I need to lose some weight anyway.

 
At 12:20 PM, Blogger Diane@Diane's Place said...

You're not kidding on the food prices going up! And it seems there's no end in sight either.

The salad sounds good. I'll bookmark it so I can come back to it later.

I'll go check out Bonnie's blog after I sign off here.

Have a great Easter weekend, Lucy. He is risen indeed! :o)

Love and hugs,

Diane

 
At 1:04 PM, Blogger Putz said...

i would rather eat meat than wheat products, but my son makes sandwiches for his work and he will pay $5 for a fancy loaf of bread and then per pound cheaper meat to go inside...why do we have to watch what we spend or where we go... i can't go north to visit my son because a tank of gas cost me $40 and i can/t afford 40 dollars..this is the third time i have posted this and when i get ready to post i scroll down on the wrong icon and lose every thing..here gtoe again...scroll on the post a comment and not on thepost itself..ha ha

 
At 1:17 PM, Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

I'm glad Bonnie got back home safe and sound from her trip. I'll pop over there and see her pics.

Food and gas prices are up, and YES I've noticed!

We got 3-4 inches of rain overnight on Tuesday. Our rivers are above flood stage, and some areas of AR got over 12 inches of rain!! We are okay, and were not in danger of flooding where we live.

I wish you a very Happy Easter weekend. My mom comes in tomorrow morning for a weekend visit before she heads off on Monday to Canada for business. I will post Blog Church later tonight since I won't be blogging over the weekend while my mom is here.
Enjoy your Easter meal and all that goes with our celebration of Christ's resurrection!!

 
At 1:29 PM, Blogger LZ Blogger said...

Lucy ~ I didn't know wheat farmers decided to jump on the corn (think Ethanol) band wagon last year and make some quick bucks. I did know that the price of corn had gone up becuase of that though. I was dissapointed to hear that it takes a gallon of GASOLINE to produse a gallon and a half of ethanol though. I don't know if that is accurate or not, but if it is, it makes me want to RE-THINK the whole issue! ~ jb///

 
At 9:50 PM, Blogger Cecil said...

Lucy.. thanks for stopping back by! I love my babies... I have 4 cats.. Amos, Percy, Zaboomafoo, and Patches.. and my African Dwarf frog, Edith :0) I don't think I'll ever be without a cat.. I just can't do it.... Your recipe sounds good! Have a good Friday.. Cecil

 
At 1:02 AM, Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

Love the link to yoyr daughters blog and ALL those pictures of her trip...It looks like she had a FANTASTIC time.....! I hope she shows more of her trip as time goes on....

A Very Happy Easter to you, Lucy...And that Part 2 Post of mine is up!

 
At 10:31 AM, Blogger Oh great One said...

Food prices are crazy. It seems like my budget is getting stretched more and more each week. Between that and my electric bill I'm getting SQUEEZED!

 
At 11:08 PM, Blogger Jim said...

Bonnie had a nice visit in Italy it seems. Her pictures are really nice. Did she go through the Basilica? There is too much in that place to see for one afternoon! It all seems to run together for me.

Thank you for the recipe, it would be worth trying except I don't like to spend that much time cooking.
..

 
At 1:51 PM, Blogger Granny said...

Gas - almost $3.50/gallon here.

Bread - almost $5.00 for whole grain (although I wait for the sales).

Eggs? forget it. The lowest I've seen is $2/dozen and milk (no fat) at $3.50/gallon.

We're invited out after church (one LDS; one United Methodist - we coexist nicely) for barbecue and watching a toddler hunt his first eggs. No cooking for this elderly lady tomorrow. My ham will remain frozen until maybe next weekend.

Blessed Easter, friend Lucy.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home