Thursday, January 10, 2008

Two of my favorite low carb recipes.....

For those of you who just don’t get along well with carbs, here are two recipes that are delicious and very low carb. I like snacking on these when I get slightly hungry between meals.

Warm Spinach Cheese Dip:

2 - 8 oz. packages of cream cheese, softened, and cut into 1-inch blocks.
1 – 10 oz. package of frozen spinach, thawed, drained.
½ cup – heavy cream or sour cream. ( I use sour cream.)
½ cup – grated Parmesan or Romano cheese
1 clove – garlic, minced

Combine the ingredients in a food processor or beat with an electric mixer. Spoon into a 9 inch pie plate. Bake at 350 degrees for about 25 minutes. Serve warm with low-carb vegetables and enjoy!


Crepes in a minute

Ready when you need them, these quick-fixers turn any low-carb leftover into a grab-and-go treat. It can be used to fill with tuna salad, a little grounded hamburger with shredded lettuce and cheese. Yummmm I have also used this with left over chicken or beef, lettuce and cheese.

4 eggs
4 TBL. Heavy cream
Salt and pepper, oregano, or sweet dried basil as desired, depending on the low carb stuffing.
2 TBL. Butter or olive oil

Combine the ingredients in a medium bowl. Heat a small amount of butter or olive oil in an 8-inch non-stick frying pan. Pour about ¼ of the mixture into the pan, swirling quickly to cover the bottom with a thin layer. Cook for only a few minutes, until the bottom is brown. Flip gently and lightly brown the other side. Remove from the pan. Repeat for each remaining crepe.

These recipes come from the book: The 7-Day Low-Carb rescue and recovery plan. This is a great book and it has some great recipes. These two recipes are two of my favorites, they are simple and there when you need it.

Have a great weekend everyone.

21 Comments:

At 11:37 AM, Blogger Oh great One said...

I just watched "Throwdown" with Bobby Flay and they were making crepes. I thought to myself I should give that a whirl. THEN look what you post. EERIE! *grin*

 
At 10:13 AM, Blogger Granny Annie said...

I love spinich dip and can't wait to try yours. I've never made crepes.

 
At 5:47 PM, Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

I've been low carbing and lower caloring since I got home from CA. So far, so good, but I DO miss eating more bread!!!
I LOVE spinach dip with sourdough bread.
I also LOVE crepes filled with fruit preserves.
I will not make these recipes, or I will get off of my current plan. Thanks for posting them though and for making me crave them desperately.
:-)
I hope your New Year has started out well so far.

 
At 1:39 AM, Blogger Diane@Diane's Place said...

Both recipes sound delicious!

Hope you have a great weekend, Lucy...

Love and hugs,

Diane

 
At 11:05 AM, Blogger Big Dave T said...

They sound low carb, but are they low-fat, low-calorie too? My wife and I just bought a double-burner grill so we can reduce the fat in our meals.

And we earn double props too because this grill retailed for $100 to $130 at four different stores we checked. We finally found it for less than $40! The clerk said we got the "steal of the year." Sometimes it pays to keep shopping.

 
At 10:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

wanted to let you know my mom has started using the milk thistle.. thank you.

 
At 10:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Lucy -- Like the Field of Dreams, "You Make Those Crepes and I Will Come!" They sound really good. :-)
..

 
At 6:52 PM, Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

Thanks for the cranberry juice advice.
My mom gave me the same advice, so with you AND my mom saying it, I KNOW it's truly good advice!!

 
At 10:52 AM, Blogger Granny Annie said...

Where is that cranberry juice advice? I thought I saw it here too. I was going to add a caution because while cranberry juice is great for bladder infections it is harmful for I.C. (interstitial cystitis).

 
At 9:01 PM, Blogger Cliff said...

That low carb dip looks like it would be could slathered on a big, thick slice of home made, enriched white flour bread. :)

 
At 11:31 PM, Blogger Cliff said...

could= good
I'm too old for this.

 
At 12:28 AM, Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

Just a quick hello.

 
At 11:39 AM, Blogger Mad Housewife said...

I will have to try the cheese dip recipe. It looks so yummy! I bet it's good with baked tortilla chips too. And salsa.

 
At 9:43 AM, Blogger Mad Housewife said...

Position rack in lower third of oven. Preheat to 450 degrees. Season rib roast as desired (salt and pepper or a steak seasoning blend). Place rib roast rib side down in roasting pan, roast 15-20 minutes. Reduce temp to 250 degrees and roast until desired doneness (120 for rare, 130 for med rare, 140 for med -- for a 7-10 pound roast). Usually 20-30 minutes per pound and temp will always rise about 5 degrees once out of oven. Remove roast to platter, cover w/ foil and let stand 15-20 minutes before carving.

 
At 12:20 AM, Blogger Jim said...

Those sound good. Are there any leftovers for us?
..

 
At 10:55 AM, Blogger LZ Blogger said...

Lucy ~ Could it just be that it's lunchtime... or do these just sound DELICIOUS? ~ jb///

 
At 2:57 AM, Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

These both sound quite Dee-Lish!
THat first one is rather high in fat though, isn't it?
Oh well....you choose your poisen....(LOL)

Indded, Sweetie should weigh 50 pounds, but he doesn;t...! He is quite sleek, in fact...!

 
At 2:36 PM, Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

Lucy...If you do get the movie "Evening", do let me know how you like it! I rented it from Netflix...it has only been out on DVD since September, 2007....having been releaed in theatres in July, I think...a short wait for the DVD....Anyway, I'd love to know what you think.

I LOVED the extras on the DVD...a lovely background to how the movie came about.

 
At 3:51 PM, Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

Hey you! I keep checking for a new blog post.
I know you'll get around to it one of these days.
Until then.... Howdy and Have a nice day!!

 
At 11:43 AM, Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

Lucy...I am not sure about the zoning laws here at all, but plan to find out about them....It seems like everrything these neighbors are doing down there could create some heavy-duty problems....Especially in the Summer months when it is hot!!!

 
At 4:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Lucy,

Thanks.These sound delish! My husband is on a low carb diet. It's how he lost a lot of weight this past year. (I'm here via "BS")

 

Post a Comment

<< Home