Saturday, December 15, 2007

What a busy time of year……





Yes, we are all busy with life and the Christmas/holiday season…..I’ve been busy making our traditional gingerbread cookies that we send out in the packages to TF’s family. I have already made four batches and my husband wants me to make two more batches. As well as cookies, I have made peanut clusters, pretzels dipped in white almond bark, and Bonnie’s favorite – fudge. I will probably make some chocolate chip cookies before the season is over. Besides mailing out cookies to TF’s family, we make up about twenty plates of goodies to hand out to neighbors, friends and business acquaintances. When I was younger, I used to make home made wheat bread too. We would give that and a can of beef stew to very special friends.

On top of that, I had put together an order of herbs and spices that took some time to work up. We usually do this right before Thanksgiving but this year we didn’t have enough ordered to get our discount, which covers the shipping. Penny and I decided to beat the bushes and rummage up a few more orders so that we could hit our goal of $ 500.00. When the second date came and the flurry of orders came in we had just under $700.00, who would have guessed? The order came in a week ago and it took me a whole morning to sort and package everything. I had packages lining two walls in the dining room. Most of them are gone but I should be able to deliver the last of them tonight at our church Christmas party.

Woah!!! The party starts in about an hour and a half from now. I signed up to bring a cranberry/pineapple jello salad for the dinner and I made that this morning. I will also take some non perishable food items and candy jars for our yearly food drive. We will have a nice Christmas dinner, a special program and a visit from Santa. I invited my daughter to come and bring the kids so that they can see Santa and sit on his lap….Last year they loved seeing Santa.

Next week I plan to finish my shopping, wrap gifts and make two pair of pajamas for my granddaughter for Christmas. I am sure there will be plenty of other things to do in between, but that is the goal.

On a different note: Bonnie came back from Florida disappointed that the space shuttle did NOT lift off. She realllllly wanted to see it happen, but the fuel sensors on the external fuel tanks had a different idea. She came home just in time to take her finals and then sleep for a full day. Tomorrow she will head out to do some “independent” contractor work for the company she worked for before she started back to school. She will be working for four weeks and get home just in time to start her next semester of school. The money she makes will pay for that semesters tuition and books. On a sad note, she will be spending Christmas on the road……..Oh Well!!! Actually, we are grateful that she was able to get the work.

Have a great week everyone……..

17 Comments:

At 5:50 PM, Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

You are simply AMAZING Lucy! All those goodies that you make and give to everyone...I think that is just wonderful...! I must say, when you said Fudge and chocolate Chip Cookies my mouth began watering...LOL! But everything just sounds delicious...What a lovely generous thing to do at Christmastime.....I think giving the gifts of things you've created, whether they are foods or paintings or photographs or things one has sewn, etc....Is the most special gifts one can give and one can recieve, too!

 
At 1:33 PM, Blogger Robert said...

It sounds like you're making the most of Christmas this year. My better half enjoys this time of year as well: she loves to do the seasonal baking and decorating.

I hope you and TF and Bonnie have a wonderful new year!

 
At 5:52 PM, Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

Busy, busy, busy!
Those gingerbread candy cane cookies look very tasty!!
I hope the party was fun.
I've got nearly all my Christmas shopping done.
Enjoy time with Bonnie. It sure is disappointing that the shuttle didn't lift off when she was there.
What a bummer!
It's nearly Christmas, but you seem to have all your ducks in a row. I wouldn't expect anything less from you. Enjoy this wonderful. holiday season!!

 
At 8:45 PM, Blogger BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

I am so inspired by all your abilities to make those goodies. There are some lucky people waiting in the wings.

Have a blessed and joyful holiday, Lucy.

 
At 1:08 AM, Blogger Jim said...

Those cookies sound and look soooo good. Do you have my address for when you're sending cookies to the old folks on your list?
Also I do have the peanut butter factory on my list of places to visit.
Tonight we went in to Houston to hear the Houston Symphony play Christmas music.
..

 
At 9:27 AM, Blogger Big Dave T said...

I thought about your daughter when I heard the shuttle was postponed. I think that's one of those things that you just have to happen to be there for.

My wife's in the midst of major cookie baking. Her's go to my office, my family party, my brother in South Dakota, the neighbor who helps to snowblow our sidewalk . . .

 
At 2:11 PM, Blogger eyes_only4him said...

Wow, those cookies look like they will be mighty tastey;)

 
At 3:55 PM, Blogger LZ Blogger said...

Lucy ~ Everytime that I help Mrs. LZ bake gingerbread cookies, they are as thick as SUGAR cookies. Maybe THAT'S why she doesn't ask me to help with them any more? ~ jb///

 
At 9:21 PM, Blogger butterflygirl said...

It is a busy time of year--look at all those spices!

 
At 10:31 PM, Blogger Rachel said...

Yummy!!! You have been one busy woman!!!

 
At 11:15 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

That gingerbread looks very very delicious. Is this a secret recipe, or one that you would be willing to post?

 
At 12:04 PM, Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

Thanks for your visit Lucy, and your Good Wishes...! And I wish you a very Merry Christmas and an WONDERFUL New Year, too!

 
At 3:59 PM, Blogger Mountain Mama said...

I was going to make gingerbread men and read the story to my younger great grandkids on Christmas day, but then I remembered how the story ended and decided against it. I don't want to be the cause of nightmares.

You sure do a lot of baking, etc. Your neighbors must love to see you coming.
Have a wonderful Christmas.

 
At 8:13 AM, Blogger Granny Annie said...

Lucy, you are a treasured blogger friend. Thank you for all your helpful information throughout the year. I'm hoping for high speed internet access next year so I can comment more on blogs and open videos, etc. Meanwhile, I wish you a Merry, Merry, Happy, Happy, Ho, Ho, Ho......See you again in 2008!

 
At 5:22 PM, Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

You're still busy, busy, busy, I am sure.

I hope your pre-Christmas weekend is going well.
It's nearly Christmas, and you are down to the last stretch.

I hope you have a wonderful Christmas, Lucy!!

 
At 7:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas to you and your family, Lucy.

 
At 8:39 PM, Blogger Danny Sims said...

Merry Christmas!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home