Sunday, November 25, 2007

After Thanksgiving

We had a great Thanksgiving here at the Stern household. Friends and family came by to eat turkey and just have fun visiting. The food was abundant and everyone had a great time. As I was chopping up the onions and celery for the dressing, I cut up extra for my pot of turkey broth. Once everyone left, I put my turkey bones in my stock pot and added the onions, celery and other items for making stock. I turned the pot on low and let it cook overnight. In the morning I strained the broth and put up one and a half gallons of stock. I depend on this stock for my winter soups. Yummmm!

We took our traditional family picture of the kids and grandkids, which you can take a look at over at TF’s blog. It is amazing how fast the years go by, one day the kids are small and before you know it they are all grown up with children of their own. I’m very grateful for my family and all the love that they have shown to me.

Below are a few items I found while reading my various emails and favorite web pages.

RECIPE: Crab Wontons
Preheat oven to 350F. Mix together 16 oz crabmeat or imitation crabmeat, 8 oz Fat Free Cream Cheese (or regular if preferred), 1/2 chopped onions, 1/2C mayonnaise, and salt to taste. Grease 24 muffin cups or pans, place a wonton wrapper in each cup. Spoon crabmeat mixture into wonton. Bake for about 17 minutes or until edges of wrapper turn golden brown. Sprinkle with paprika if desired. Makes 24 servings. For those using ADA exchanges, each crab wonton works out to 2/3 meat, 2/3 fat, and 1/4 bread. POST IT...on your Christmas serving list for an easy appetizer.
(I got this recipe from the “Make a Note” email newsletter.)

SLY REPLY
If you have an event coming up that requires people to sign up for time slots, food, or just RSVP, then check out Sly Reply. At this website you can set up your own sign up sheets, then just email folks the link for an easy sign up and review for the organizer. Sign up or read all about it at... http://www.slyreply.com If you're doing a more formal get-together, then see our previous article on http://www.evite.com . POST IT...on your computer and with your social/charity group info. (This also came from the Make a Note newsletter.)

Last but not least, I found this information about de-icing your car windows from the dollar stretcher website… I live in the south and rarely need to de-ice but I thought this was good information for you folks up north.

Homemade Window De-icer
I've been checking the Internet but having no luck finding a homemade window de-icer formula. Does anyone have a homemade version of window de-icer they would like to share? Sue

Ice Free Windshields
To prevent your car's windows/mirrors from icing up in the window, treat the windows before you go to bed each night. The window treatment can be made up of 3 parts vinegar to 1 part water and placed in a spray bottle. This mixture will prevent ice from forming. It is important to spray all of the car's windows and not just the windshield. You can also use the same mixture using rubbing alcohol. Marianne

No More Ice
For homemade window de-icer, use a solution of 1 part water to 2 parts rubbing alcohol. BEEJAY

Provide a Physical Barrier
If this is for a car windshield, you may want to prevent ice buildup in the first place, by using an old sheet or a lightweight tarp. Lay it over the windshield and tuck it into the top and front parts of the car door to secure it. After the storm (or in the morning), remove the cover, along with the ice and snow, shake off, and fold away. When you provide a physical barrier to the ice, any remaining frost should go away quickly with the defrost setting and wipers. C.T.

The Ice Will Lift Right Off
You can use a household spray bottle for this. Mix a bottle of isopropyl alcohol (70% is best but 50% also works) and a few drops of dish liquid. Spray the windshield liberally, and in a few minutes, the ice lifts off the window. Also, try putting isopropyl alcohol in the washer fluid container (half fluid and half alcohol) to keep your wiper lines from freezing up in the winter. Ellie

Have a great week everyone…..

12 Comments:

At 7:50 PM, Blogger Susie said...

Glad you had such a wonderful Thanksgiving celebration. Looking forward to checking out those links!
xo

 
At 8:35 PM, Blogger butterflygirl said...

Glad to hear Thanksgiving went well. Some soup sounds good about now.

 
At 1:14 AM, Blogger Diane@Diane's Place said...

Your kids definitely favor each other, and those grandkids are growing like the proverbial weeds!

Jessica cooked the turkey at her house so no turkey carcase for stock here. That is a great idea though.

Emmy is doing much better, though she still has a runny nose occasionally. She's still teething, bless her heart. I suppose she will be for the next couple of years. Not much to be done for that.

I'm very gradually getting better, praise God! Only a couple more days of antibiotics.

Hope your week is great, Lucy. ;o)

Love and hugs,

Diane

 
At 5:31 AM, Blogger Jeanette said...

Hi Lucy, Sounds like you had a wonderful thanksgiving and lovely family photo's.
thank you for visiting and your nice comments we did have a lovely time being together. please call again soon
as i will you..

 
At 11:15 AM, Blogger Jim said...

Hi Lucy -- Yes, you have a nice looking family. I'm not sure who is who but your dad did good (the 2005 post does name them).

I don't like to answer on that evite.com site, so I just call. So far no one has invited me via SlyReply. It might not be so snoopy looking.

Mrs. Jim will be making red beans and rice using the bone and leavings from the holiday ham she brought, then brought so much home for our sandwiches. Yum on both the beans and ham and cheese sandwiches.

December 2 (I think) is my two-year blog aniversary so a post about that may be soon.
I see you started with 'Lucy' in May 2005.
..

 
At 5:43 PM, Blogger Oh great One said...

Sounds like a lovely day!

I'm so glad I don't have to scrape windows anymore! We had some doozy storms in Colorado. Sometimes it was nearly impossible to scrape I just had to turn on the defrost and wait.

 
At 8:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I worry that some of that might be bad for the paint job on the car??

 
At 6:53 AM, Blogger Merle said...

Hi Lucy ~~ Glad you had a great Thanksgiving. Glad you liked the Meaning of Peace. Take care,
Loved the family photos. Love, Merle.

 
At 7:56 PM, Blogger Big Dave T said...

Seeing all those recipes for de-icers, no offense, I think I'll just park my car in the garage. I do hate scraping.

 
At 8:19 PM, Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

That photo is very nice. I like the cowboy hat!!

I'm glad you had such a lovely Thanksgiving.

 
At 12:45 AM, Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

So glad I don't need that DE-Icing formula...LOL! But I think it's wonderful that you posted it for those that do need it!

I don't think you will be sorry if you do rent AWAY FROM HER. It is a very special film filled with truths and a script that is superb...As well as a cast that can do no wrong. It is a grown-up film, and there aren't too many of those around to savor. This is one...And it is a gem.

 
At 1:22 AM, Anonymous erectile dysfunction medications said...

Greetings! This is my first visit to your blog! We are a group of volunteers and starting a new project in a community in the same niche. Your blog provided us useful information to work on. You have done a marvellous job!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home