Thursday, August 30, 2007

Assorted Tidbits

Tangy fruit loves the limelight: Look for limes with smooth skin and no brown spots; avoid hard, dried-out limes. The fruit should be heavy for its size and give slightly when pressed. Fresh limes will last a about 10 days in the refrigerator. Buster Dean – Houston Chronicle Flavor Section

Cabbage that keeps it cool keeps it nutrients: Is there an appreciable loss of nutrients when you salt a vegetable, such as cabbage, and drain off the moisture that is released? According to W. Craig Byrdwell, a chemist at the Agricultural Research Service (a branch of the USDA), the method would not result in an appreciable loss of nutrients because you’re not subjecting the cabbage to heat. There would be a small loss of vitamin C and minerals but less than if the cabbage were steamed, for example. Generally, steaming will preserve more nutrients than boiling, and using less water for boiling will help retain more nutrients and minerals that using a great amount of water, Byrdwell says. Nutrients that suffer the greatest losses from boiling or blanching are vitamin C, vitamin A and folic acid.

Keep a tight lid on your honey: The darker a honey’s color, the more intense the flavor. Once opened, honey will keep for up to a year if stored at room temperature in a tightly sealed container. Everyday food- Fridge Clip.

For the whole truth, read the label: Myth or fact? Multigrain foods are always made with whole grains. Myth. The only way to know for sure is to see if “whole” is in front of every grain in the ingredient list. “Multigrain” means only that the product was made with several grains; you can’t assume that whole grains were used. The same is true for “seven-grain” or “cracked wheat.” Even breads and cereals that say “made with whole grains” may contain few of them. Look for products labeled “100 percent whole grain.” McClatchy-Tribune Fridge Clip

Eating Breakfast has its rewards: Does skipping breakfast help you lose weight? Studies show that breakfast skippers actually compensate for those missed calories by eating more throughout the day. People who regularly eat breakfast end to have better luck losing weight and keeping it off. And you have to eat the right foods: If you grab only a doughnut, you may be ravenous before lunch because of a rapid rise and fall in blood sugar. Make sure your morning meal contains fiber and protein. McClatchy-Tribune Fridge clip

And now an advertisement from on of my favorite webpages:
Real Food for Real People presents Spice & Soup Mixes
Our economical collection of spice mix, meat rub, dressing mix and soup mix recipes are great for gift giving or keeping for your own use! Some of the treats this comprehensive collection includes are Red's Seasoned Salt, Red's Taco Seasoning, Red's Chicken Coating Mix, Onion/Garlic Powder, Red's Spaghetti Sauce Mix, Self-Rising Flour, Five Spice Seasoning Blend, Ranch Dressing Mix w/variations, Curry Powder Seasoning Blend, Red's Dry Spice Rub, Instant Potato Soup Mix, Instant Vegetable Soup Mix, Onion Soup Mix and much more! Get your free sample recipes now by visiting us at:
www.realfood4realpeople.com/soup.htm

Note from Lucy: TF’s stent removal was a “piece of cake”. They sent him in around noon and, before I could read an entire article in my magazine, they were calling my name to come back and see him in recovery. It didn’t take the doctor 10 minutes to put him under and remove the stent. Everything went very well. He slept for about an hour and 15 minutes and then woke up wanting to go home. He took it easy for the rest of the day and was in great shape to visit his parents over the weekend. I am soooo thankful that everything went well. I am keeping my fingers crossed but he shouldn’t have to see any more doctors for a while……YEA!!!!

15 Comments:

At 1:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lucy,
When he's well enough, it's time to spank him for making you worry so much. Don't spare the rod and spoil your big boy there.
(I jest, of course!)

Great to see you two back and bouncy again! Keep it up!

Cheers!
- Teflonman

 
At 5:12 AM, Blogger Merle said...

Hi Lucy ~~ Thanks for your helpful hints and tips you share with us. I am so glad that all went well for your husb and also our need to make time for God in our lives.and and let's hope neither of you have any more medical visits for a long time. Thank you for the comments about the African children and their miracle
and also our need to make time for God in our lives. Take care my friend
Love, Merle.

 
At 10:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh I'm so glad to hear that everything went well!!

Yeah!

DayByDay

 
At 11:08 AM, Blogger Big Dave T said...

Great news there about your DH. Hope he stays well.

Speaking of cabbage, my wife was wondering this week about the shelflife of sauerkraut. Though it was over a year old, she served it to me. And I'm still here.

HEA, Lucy. I have a kinduva food-related question for you. I was doing some research on a top polka band and he's doing several concerts in Texas at an event called Wurstfest (which I assume has something to do with sausage). Ever hear of it?

 
At 1:56 AM, Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

Glad to read the the Stent is History! He must be very happy about that, too! (To say the least...!)

Helpful and interesting tips with condiments...THANKS!

 
At 12:30 PM, Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

First and foremost... It is good to read good news about your hubby. I am so glad his recovery has gone well. I'm sure this is a great relief to you.

Thanks for all the helpful tips. The cabbage part made me crave corned beef & cabbage - which is something I haven't fixed in years. I did make some chicken & veggie soup in the crock pot overnight. I hope the carrots, corn, & potatoes didn't lose too much nutrients while being slow cooked. :-)

Happy weekend to YOU!!
Oh, I always eat breakfast. I need to cut down on some of the extra calories I consume in order to lose some weight. I exercise daily, but I also eat plenty daily - which leads to simply maintaining the status quo.

 
At 12:56 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

mmmm... I want to go buy some limes, now.

I was taught the "whole" trick for wheat bread a while ago, and it makes a world of difference. We buy aspen mills in bulk at sam's... it's the BEST bread. ohh, so good. Such a nice, short ingredient list. And at sam's we only spend 2 dollars a loaf,which is more than baloon bread but good for whole grain bread.i

 
At 1:30 PM, Blogger Lucy Stern said...

Teflonman - don't make me blush.

Merle - if it weren't for God I don't think TF would have healed as good as he did...so thankful.

daybyday - me too.

big dave - I'm not aware of Wurstfest, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist... TF just walked in and said it is an annual occurance up in the Texas hill country. Saurkraut should be OK out of date..but not too long.

oldoldlady of the hills - the stent is really small, I don't know how anything can flow thru it. The doctor gave it to us in a little bottle...I was amazed and I am glad that it is over.

jamie dawn - I love using my crock pot, I cooked spaghetti sauce in it yesterday. I read, in a magazine just yesterday, that when you skip breakfast that you body goes into starvation mode...Hummm

nosurfgirl - I want to know more about that bread.

 
At 3:51 PM, Blogger Jim said...

Hi Neighbor! Thank you, Lucy, for the visit. I hope you will come back, you are catching me when I'm winding down.
We (Mrs. Jim and I) are going on holiday to Scotland and Isle of Man shortly so I don't have as much time for blogging right now.
Like you, we are kinda' hectic around here.

I will come back to read your 'Emergency Food Supply' better soon. We overdid it last year and are just finishing up eating what we got last year.
Since we are further north, Mrs. Jim laid down the law this year and we will only have enough for three days. And just us. If some of the kids or grandkids come they should bring out of their pantries.

At first I couldn't figure out how you found me, but now I see. Jamie and Merle and I exchange blogs (read), and OldOldLady Of The Hills mostly gets lurking. She is a wonderful lady, as are the other two.

I have another friend from St. Louis, Willow
http://fullwillowmoon.blogspot.com/
She is working on frugal living.

Carol, is from Spring
http://smilesandlaughter.blogspot.com/

And TamWill is from Conroe
http://lilcountrybumpkin.blogspot.com/

See you later, Mrs. Jim has a honey do. Glad TF came out ok with his stent. I have a friend who went through that, he does it periodically.
..

 
At 7:59 PM, Blogger Diane@Diane's Place said...

Great information and links, Lucy. I need to update my disaster kit.

Glad your hubby is doing so well. :-)

Hope y'all have a great holiday weekend.

Hugs,

Diane

 
At 8:53 PM, Blogger Rachel said...

So happy that your husband did well with the stent removal. Hoorah!!

As for your comment about my post. The lake is Lake Cumberland. They are working on the Wolf Creek Dam and it'll take them 7 years to repair the leak, so they lowered the lake for safety purposes. They do not want the dam to fail, which would be a major disaster! This picture here is pretty much below our house. Well, if you look down the lake to where the water is our house is hidden behind the trees up there. We still have the lake below us. This is only one small part of the lake. There is a private boat club down below us. They had to move to deeper water as the lake was lowered. Frankly I don't know if the boat club here will survive for 7 years or not. Many have moved their boats after all this happened. The main part of the lake still has plenty of water.

 
At 8:54 PM, Blogger Rachel said...

As for the old boat there, I guess it was in the bottom of the lake bed and someone just put it there.

Did I confuse you more than ever now with my comments?? Ha!!

 
At 8:07 AM, Blogger Mad Housewife said...

Good to know. And did you know that honey is the only food that will never spoil as long as it's sealed in an air-tight jar or container of some sort? Just a weird fact I knew. I don't think I've ever bought honey or used it anywhere. Weird.

Thanks for the tip on fish oil. Oddly enough, I made a tasty pan-seared talapia dinner Friday night, and Evelyn even ate a few bites.

 
At 4:16 PM, Blogger Mrs. Geezerette said...

Glad your hubby did well with the stent removal. He sure has been through a lot lately.'

And your hints are "good to know" stuff. I buy a few limes each time I go to the store, then forget I have them. I don't have many recipes for limes. I suppose that is why.

 
At 3:36 PM, Blogger Oh great One said...

Thank heavens he's doing well. Isn't modern medicine amazing? Take care!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home