Friday, June 22, 2007

Here are two wonderful cookie recipes that I found on the www.chetday.com website. Yummmmm…

Apple Oats Breakfast Bars

2 cups rolled oats
1 cup raisins or chopped dates
1 or more cups unsweetened coconut
1 cup unsweetened chocolate chips
2 small apples, chopped, or 1 jar of applesauce
2 or more cups milk
1 cup chopped almonds (or other nuts)
Optional seasonings such as cinnamon or apple pie spices

Measurements may vary depending on size of pan.

In an 8" x 8" baking dish, sprinkle 1/2 cup of nuts, 1/3 cup of coconut and 1/3 of the oats on the bottom of dish.

Next, layer 1/2 of the raisins, 1/3 of the coconut, another 1/3 of the oats, 1/2 of the chocolate chips and all of the apples (or applesauce), and top with spices.
Pour on 1/2 of the milk.

Continue by adding the rest of the raisins, chips, oats and coconut, and spices. Top with the nuts and sprinkle with cinnamon. Pour on the rest of the milk. Bake at 350F for 30 minutes.

These bars freeze well and are always ready.


Oatmeal Cranberry Raisin Cookies

1 cup butter, softened
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups quick cooking oats
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp cardamom
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 cup raisins
1 cup dried cranberries - usually sweetened, see label

Cream butter, brown and white sugars, eggs, spices, and vanilla for about 5 minutes, until well blended.

In another bowl, combine oats, flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Add to butter mixture a little at a time mixing well.

Mix in raisins and dried cranberries.

Drop by spoonfuls onto greased cookie sheets and bake for 12-14 minutes at 350F.


Note from Lucy: Where has this month gone by? Before long it will be the fourth of July and we will be celebrating another year of our country's birth. So much to do, so little time. Have a great weekend everyone.

8 Comments:

At 4:26 PM, Blogger Big Dave T said...

Since it looks like I passed my physical today, I owe myself a cookie. Not sure about cardamom, though. My wife's a cookie baker and she never heard of that ingredient either. Maybe it's something you find only in Texas there.

My son Scott returns from Russia on the Fourth of July. I'm sure he'll be glad he's back in the good ole USA on its birthday.

 
At 11:12 PM, Blogger Diane@Diane's Place said...

Your recipes sound delicious, Lucy! :-)

Thanks for visiting my recipe blog. I'm glad you took the time to comment and that you liked the recipes.

Have a great weekend!

Diane

 
At 1:11 AM, Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

Thanks for your visit Lucy and your kind words....

Any recipes for Chocolate Cookies??(LOL)
These sound wonderful, but if it isn't Chovolate....well, as a friend of mine says..."If it isn't Chocolate, it's a Vegetable to me.." LOL!

 
At 6:49 AM, Blogger Merle said...

Hi Lucy ~~ I also get recipes from Chet Day- he has some great ones
doesn't he? The year certainly is going too fast. I hope your husband gets on well after his surgery early
next month. Thank you for your comments. I am glad you liked the Special Teacher story and it shows
we should look into why certain children behave. Who knows their
worries? Take care, my friend, Love,
Merle.

 
At 8:33 AM, Blogger T. F. Stern said...

These sound okay; but,... the standard to measure from will always be 1. Oatmeal/chocolate chip, 2. Oatmeal/cinnamon chip, and 3. Chocolate chip. These should be stolen off the counter top while the cook's back is turned, warm enough to enjoy with a glass of milk and a mild scolding from the cook.

Around Christmas time Gingerbread cookies take first place followed by the other three.

 
At 7:43 PM, Blogger Hathor said...

What kind of texture do these have? Crisp or chewy?

 
At 12:00 AM, Blogger Lucy Stern said...

Big Dave - Cardamon is a very universal spice, it can be found in most grocery stores. You can also order it from www.sfherb.com

Glad to hear that your son will be home soon. I bet he won't forget his time in Russia.

Diane - thanks for coming to my blog too. I'll keep checking in on your recipes too.

oldoldlady of the hills - I love chocolate cookies too. I will rummage up a good recipe just for you. I'm glad that you passed your drivers test, it sounds like it was very stressful.

Hi Merle - good to see you again. I am praying that everything goes well with my husbands surgery and hoping for a quick recovery. I have started him on a product called "Tunguska" which did wonders for my toe when I injured it last month. He should heal much quicker with this product. PS. isn't Chet's webpage the best?

TF - yes dear, I'll make you some cookies!

hathor - these are of the chewy variety. I like the chewy ones the best.

 
At 12:08 AM, Blogger Tristi Pinkston said...

I am going to have to try these -- thanks for posting.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home