Monday, May 07, 2007

HGTV’s list of “Ways to add value to your house”.

Last night I watched HGTV’s show on the top 20 ways to add value to your house. (I love watching the shows on that station! ) Here is the list:

20) Home Office Remodel – Make it functional for everyone in the house.

19) Add a Sunroom – It adds value and light to the house and a room for guests.

18) Create or Renovate a Master Suite – work within the footprints of you house.

17) Renovate or add a family room.- open floor plan is preferred.

16) Get a new roof.- If your roof is showing it’s age, it’s time for a new one.

15) Landscape your yard – curb appeal.

14) Major Kitchen Remodel – Size matters. Total update makes a difference in a tight
Market.

13) Add a Bathroom – more bathrooms never hurt.

12) Blend you addition with the rest of your house.

11) Replace old windows – If your windows look old or rotting, what else could be old
and rotting. Double pane glazed windows save energy.

10) Basement remodel – make your basement usable and family friendly.

9) Add a deck – Takes the inside out. You deck should not be more than 1/3rd the size
of your house.

8) Major Bathroom remodel – bathrooms and kitchens sell houses.

7) Paint! Paint! Paint! – Hire a professional color analyst if you need to. Neutral colors
are best. A good paint job is a must. Hire a professional if you can’t do a good job.

6) Renovate your attic – make storage space into a living space. Add windows.

5) Two story addition - build an addition over an existing garage.

4) Don’t over customize your rooms. – Keep your rooms versatile.

3) Minor Kitchen Remodel – Stainless steel appliances – lighting – new door knobs and
handles.

2) Minor Bathroom Remodel – new paint job – shower curtains and towels etc.

1) Replace old Siding – the house needs to look good. Hardy plank or composite siding
is a good idea.


What Not to Do!

1) Don’t overdue – Stay on even track with the rest of the neighborhood. Example:
A concert pianist build a balcony in his living room to seat family and friends. This does not appeal to buyers.

2) Know your Limitations – Don’t say “I can do it myself” if you are not going to do
a professional job.

3) Adding a pool is not always good: If you live in a warm climate it might be great,
But if you live in a cool climate, it’s over doing.

4) Don’t customize too much.

5) It is not always the case to follow the latest design trends. Example: Peach colored
walls, use neutral pallets. Textured wall paper is out of style.

If you are going to sell your house, check out the market and check out what houses are selling for in your neighborhood.

10 Comments:

At 11:33 AM, Blogger Big Dave T said...

Our house needs a new roof. Expensive, but it must be done, even if we're NOT going to sell.

I'm surprised that they didn't mention removing clutter. Many folks would rather do the remodeling themselves, since they can get it customized the way they like.

But there's nothing that turns off potential home buyers more, IMO, than a home that looks overstuffed with not enough space for storage. Before I sell my home, I'm going to either have a huge yard sale, or put half my junk into storage. The more space my home has, the more inviting it is to potential buyers I think.

 
At 3:12 PM, Blogger Lucy Stern said...

Big Dave - You are difinately right on that matter. Every time I watch one of those shows, they declutter before they do anything else. I'd have to give away half of my house to declutter this place. Actually it's not that bad, but it feels that way sometimes.

 
At 10:10 PM, Blogger Mrs. Geezerette said...

I was going to mention decluttering too. When we got ready to sell one of our houses back in 1992, we did a major decluttering job. Everything from top to bottom was ultra-organized even the storage areas.
We also replaced most of the carpeting with a neutral beige. We painted most of the rooms in neutral colors. The place was immaculate. It looked so good I hated to sell it.

 
At 4:44 PM, Blogger Oh great One said...

Great tips!

 
At 8:27 PM, Blogger Rachel said...

I love HGTV!!! I usually like what they do but sometimes I don't!! Different strokes for different folks.

Got to agree with the clutter. That is never good. I have lots of it. I know about clutter. Our house is small with very little storage. Here clutter, there clutter, everywhere clutter clutter, oh.........

 
At 6:42 PM, Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

Landscaping, adding a bathroom, and adding a pool all sound great to me.

I agree that one shouldn't overdo things. Too much can end up looking cluttered or over the top.

 
At 5:39 AM, Blogger Martin said...

I've actually been considering selling my house in the next year or so. So some of these hints will come in very handy. B) Very timely.

 
At 10:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

considering the fact I'm thinking about moving I will keep this in mind.

 
At 8:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nothing about garage? Especially for those without a basement, they aren't common here in the South.

 
At 9:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love anything HDTV. I wish I knew about some of this stuff when I was selling homes in the 80s and 90s.

Hope all is well, Lucy.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home