Tuesday, September 19, 2006

What kind of surprises can a day bring……

Yesterday was a busy day for me. The morning started off with rain. A cold front was trying to pass thru Houston and it mixed with a little Gulf moisture and it produced a ton of rain. I needed to get out early to pick up the day old bread, from our local grocery store, for our food pantry. Where was my red poncho? I usually keep it in the trunk of my car, but I had cleaned out the car and it was in a box near the front door. I put on the poncho and headed out the door. When I got to the grocery store I noticed that they had put the bread outside in the rain. Oh Boy, this was going to be interesting. I loaded the bread into the trunk as quickly as I could and went on to do some grocery shopping. Chickens were on sale for .47 cents a pound. I bought two for me and two for Felicia. I decided that I had better wait till the rain stopped before delivering the bread so I dropped off groceries to Felicia. I mentioned that I was going to put one of the chickens in the crock pot for dinner. She was so intrigued that she wanted to do it too. I showed her what to do then went home to put my own chicken in.

Here is what I did to my (whole) chicken when I got home. Wash the chicken inside and out. Remove the giblets and liver and set them aside. I poured a small amount of salt in my hand and rubbed it into the cavity of the chicken. Cut one onion into quarters and 3 cloves of fresh garlic into halves. Insert them into the cavity of the chicken. Season the outside of your chicken with your favorite spices and put it into the crock pot. Add the giblets and liver into the pot at this time. You can add 1/4th cup of water to the pan and put on the lid. Turn your pot to low or medium low and cook till done. I put mine on at 10:30am. and it was done by 6:00pm. I cooked a pot of rice and some green beans and dinner was ready Hint: Do NOT open the lid of the crock pot while it is cooking. Each time you open the lid, it adds extra time to the cooking process. I am glad that my new crock pot has a glass lid. I can look inside and see what it looks like without opening the lid. The chicken was really tender and juicy and it only took me about 10 minutes to put together. I love crock pot cooking because I can start a meal in the morning an not have to worry about cooking dinner till later in the day.

Back to my day: When the rain simmered down, I was able to deliver the bread I had picked up. I met a friend at the storehouse and exchanged a few things. I talked to my friends over there for a while and then stopped at another friends house to drop off a few items to her. When I got home from my activities, I found out that I needed to pick JJ up from kindergarten. I got there just in time and we headed back home. He had drawn some pictures at school and he just had to show them to me. A little later we went to pay a bill and then I took him home. His mommy, Jennifer, has been having a series of headaches lately and she had gone to the chiropractor to get an adjustment to see if that would help. While she was there they decided to x-ray her neck. The lady asked her if she had ever had head trama when she was younger. She could only think of one time that she had hit her head as a child. It turns out that, when Jennifer was young, that she had broken her neck. The technician told her, that if the break had been ¼ of an inch lower, that she would have been paralyzed. I couldn’t believe it. How could Jen have broken her neck and we not know about it? All I can say is that God must have been watching over her that day. To me, this is a testimony, that God provides us with miracles.

11 Comments:

At 11:21 AM, Blogger Mountain Mama said...

A miracle indeed! I believe the Lord does much more for us than we could possible imagine.
It makes me think of all the times I saved my children from getting hurt and they were not aware.
Of course our Lord works on a much larger scale.
Aren't we thankful!!

 
At 11:28 AM, Blogger Big Dave T said...

Makes you wonder how many folks go around with a broken this or that without knowing it.

I told my wife, who says she will continue to work after I retire, that I intend to learn crock pot cooking. Just seems healthier.

 
At 11:54 AM, Blogger Lucy Stern said...

mountain mama - it had me in tears to think that my daughter had a broken neck and she was spared from being paralyzed.

Big Dave - I always said that young children must have an angel watching after them. I love my crock pot cooking and the chicken was soooo good.

 
At 2:07 PM, Blogger Bill Lama said...

Lucy,
Thanks for visiting my blog. The best thing about the blogosphere is making new blogger friends. I'll be back.

Praise the Lord that your Jen is OK.

Bill Lama

 
At 3:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love crock pot cooking also. My hubby gets sick of it though. So I go in spurts.

 
At 7:11 PM, Blogger Fred said...

Sheesh, what a day! The rain you had in Houston has made its way over here. Since 3 o'clock, we've had at least three inches of rain.

 
At 5:30 AM, Blogger FRIDAY'S CHILD said...

We do have rain right at this very moment and I do hope it stays for awhile. It has been very hot this past few days. We have been 96 deg. Fahrenheit for almost a week now.
Thanks for stopping by.

 
At 7:50 PM, Blogger Rachel said...

I like crock pot cooking too, especially in the winter! Now they have those liners so the clean up is easier than ever! I'll have to try the whole chicken. I have never tried that. I'll bet it does turn our so moist and good! Thanks!

Amazing about Jennifer! Yes, definitely a testimony of God's work!! Awesome!!

 
At 9:58 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

That lid of the crockpot suggestion-- a good one. Thanks.

Funny about spine trauma-- it lasts for a lifetime unless you get it worked on. And sometimes you discover surprising things.

When my dh was a teenager, he went in for his first chiropractic visit. The chiropracter asked him if he'd ever had trauma in the upper atlas/veterbreas.

He coudn't remember anything at all, but his mom said he was forcefully pulled out with forceps during his delivery-- and that's what the Chiropractor thought was the likely cause of the trauma.

In-ter-est-ing.

I hope your friend is able to work out her spine issues. And I am also glad God protects us, everyday-- I'm one of those who would not be here.

 
At 6:31 AM, Blogger Danny Sims said...

Praise God for Jen!

I thought you were going to tell us that Felicia somehow did somehting wild to her chicken! Oh well... I did make up some wild possibilities in my mind as I read the rest of the post!!

 
At 10:59 AM, Blogger Oh great One said...

Holy cow! It just goes to show that these old bodies of ours are quite amazing. Fragile yet resiliant. I hope they are able to help with those headaches.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home