Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Grilled Shrimp With Feta and Tomatoes

This recipe was taken from last Sunday's Parade Magazine.
Grill the shrimp no more than two minutes per side, or they’ll be tough. You also can cook them in a skillet or grill pan.

For the vinaigrette:
2 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
Finely grated zest of 1 lemon
Salt and pepper, to taste
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil

3 pounds large shrimp (peeled and deveined), rinsed and patted dry
Finely grated zest and juice of 1 large lemon
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
2 teaspoons dried oregano
Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1 head radicchio (or 2 heads, if small), outer leaves discarded, inner leaves separated, rinsed and dried
2 pounds ripe plum tomatoes, cut into 8 pieces each
8 ounces fresh feta cheese, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
1/2 cup whole mint leaves, coarsely chopped

1. Prepare the vinaigrette: Whisk the vinegar, mustard, lemon zest, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Whisking constantly, slowly drizzle in the oil until thickened. Set aside. (Makes 1/3 cup.)

2. Toss together the shrimp, lemon zest and juice, olive oil, oregano, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Let rest for 15 minutes, tossing once.

3. Prepare the grill with hot coals. Thread the shrimp on 12 metal skewers or grill in batches. Grill the shrimp over high heat for no more than 2 minutes per side, turning carefully. Remove the shrimp to a large bowl.

4. Trim the tough white bottom section off each radicchio leaf, then add the leaves to the shrimp along with the tomatoes, cheese and mint. Toss with the reserved vinaigrette. Serve in a large, decorative bowl.

Serves 8. Per serving: 270 calories, 8g carbohydrate, 33g protein, 11g fat, 275mg cholesterol.

On a personal note: I've been so busy lately that I just haven't had much time to blog. I pulled my left hamstring yesterday while running to catch the garbage man, what a mistake that was. My daughter took me to see the chiropractor, which was a good move because she was able to get the muscle to relax and it feels better today. I am walking around very carefully and drinking my pineapple juice to keep the swelling down. Hope you enjoy the recipe.

16 Comments:

At 3:48 AM, Blogger Michelle said...

MMMMmmmm yummmy, i adore fetta cheese.

I hope you make a speedy recovery :o)

 
At 7:28 AM, Blogger Mad Housewife said...

Sounds tasty!

Hope your leg feels better soon.

 
At 9:39 AM, Blogger Melody said...

Hope you are feeling better very soon.

 
At 11:18 AM, Blogger Big Dave T said...

So last post you talked about your ham radio class. This post you talk about pulling a hamstring. I'm guessing we're in for a good recipe for ham next.

 
At 12:23 PM, Blogger Lucy Stern said...

michelle - I like feta too. I love the pictures you put up on you blog. Do you take them yourself?

leslie - It does sound good, I can't wait to try it. Already feeling better.

melody - I have to take it easy, but I am feeling better.

Big Dave - Hummm....you have a point there. I need to come over and read your story, See ya soon.

 
At 5:34 AM, Blogger Live, Love, Laugh said...

sounds delicious, but lately I haven't had much time to cook, been remodeling the house and working, so I have had little time to blog too. Sorry to hear about the Hamstring, hopefully it is better.

 
At 5:41 AM, Blogger PBS said...

The recipe sounds so yummy! Hope you recover quickly. I didn't know that pineapple juice helps keep swelling down.

 
At 5:41 AM, Blogger FRIDAY'S CHILD said...

Wow! looks delicious. Got to have a try. I'm allergic to shrimps though but I can't deprive the members of my family from something I can't eat right?
Thanks for dropping by.

 
At 6:01 AM, Blogger Merle said...

Hello Lucy ~~Thanks for your comments and I am glad you enjoy the posts. I hope your leg is feeling much better.
Take care, Merle.

 
At 8:04 AM, Blogger Lucy Stern said...

live, love, laugh - Good luck with the remodeling. We are still working on our living room so I know what you mean. I am better today.

pbs - The pineapple juice works wonders! I had read about it in one of those self help books years ago. It helped Bonnie when she had her wisdom teeth pulled to keep the swelling down and the discoloration down too. It worked miracles on me when I had my jaw surgery in 95. I was surprised when the chiropractor mentioned it. I have been drinking it and it is helping.

fridays child - another person allergic to shrimp. I love shrimp.

merle - the leg is better this morning. It always feels better in the morning. The real test is how does it feel after a full day.

 
At 5:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

pinapple juice now thats a new one on me.
Feel better soon!

 
At 6:46 PM, Blogger Fred said...

I love Feta cheese. This sounds wonderful, Lucy. I'm going to start a new tab in our recipe file just for the meals you come up with. We still love the steak recipe you posted.

I hope the hamstring is being good to you. Take it easy.

 
At 9:33 AM, Blogger BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

Really think you should do a recipe book, L!

 
At 9:45 AM, Blogger Twisted Cinderella said...

sounds delish! I can't wait to try it out!

Sorry about your hamstring. I am glad the chiropractor was able to help. Pineapple juice for swelling?? I have never heard of that.

 
At 4:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hope you're feeling better. i've never heard of drinking pineapple juice to keep the swelling down?

 
At 9:24 PM, Blogger Askazombiehousewife said...

Makes me want to cook better.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home