Monday, August 21, 2006

Breakfast Cornbread

2 Cups of Yellow Cornmeal
1 1/2 Cups Flour
2 Tsp. Baking Powder
1 Tsp. Baking Soda
2 Cups of Milk
1/4 Cup of Melted Butter
1 Lb. Breakfast Sausage (I like mild)
1 Large Onion, chopped fine
2 Cups of Grated Cheddar Cheese
1 Doz. Eggs
(Optional) 1-3 Large Jalapeno Peppers, chopped extra fine (I prefer with seeds)

Using a 12-14" Dutch Oven, brown the sausage. Drain the fat, leaving approx. 3 Tablespoons. Since we don't add cooking oil to the cornbread, this will help prevent sticking. Mix cornmeal, flour, baking soda, baking powder, milk, butter & sausage in the Dutch oven. While stirring, beat in the eggs, onions and peppers. Finally fold in the cheese. Cook at 350 degrees until done. (Approx 30 min.)

This has become a family favorite when we are camping! Steve Darilek, Bridgeport, TX

Note from Lucy: I love to camp and this sounds like an awesome recipe for a family breakfast. I remember the times we went camping up in the mountains of Colorado. My dad would go with us and he would help me with the cooking. We would start a fire in the fire pit and cook over that. We enjoyed making, what I called, Girl Scout breakfast. We would use chopped potatoes from the night before, cut up some onion and brown them in a cast iron skillet. When they were done we would add eggs and salt and pepper and it would make a fine breakfast. Yes, we loved cooking together. He really did enjoy the times we were up in the mountains. I did too.

15 Comments:

At 11:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That sounds wonderful - food cooked outside, while camping is always so good!

Thanks for stopping by, it was good to see you!

 
At 4:34 PM, Blogger Big Dave T said...

Skillet breakfasts? Now you're talking. Our older son got breakfast at his sitters everday after my wife and I dropped him off on our way to work. One of the first words he spoke was "cornbread." Had to be the sitter's. We didn't make any at our house.

 
At 8:56 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

Ohh that sounds yumm!
I have always wanted to make my own yogurt, also cheese, i think you've inspired me to give it a go :)

 
At 7:03 AM, Blogger BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

You could be a baker or cook for some of those filling Israeli breakfasts, Lucy.

Hope you are doing well.

Have a good week.

 
At 9:25 AM, Blogger Rachel said...

Ohh..this sounds so good. Makes me want to go camping too. How fun that would be when it gets just a little cooler! Great memories. Thanks.

 
At 6:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OH Think that sounds yummy. I wish I could get my family to expreiment!

 
At 11:54 PM, Blogger N.F. said...

Oh! That recipe sounds WONDERFUL!

 
At 12:16 PM, Blogger Curious Servant said...

Sounds very tasty!

Thanks for the recent comment!

 
At 4:20 PM, Blogger Jason & Traci said...

Sounds yummy. Would the recipe be affected much by substituting turkey sausage for pork?
I just found your site and am enjoying the read. :)

 
At 10:56 PM, Blogger Mrs. Geezerette said...

Lucy, this makes my mouth water. I love the idea of cooking outside Girl Scout (or Boy Scout) style. It brings back memories of my days as a Girl Scout.

 
At 8:33 PM, Blogger Curious Servant said...

Lucy: My garden is bursting! Have you got an cool recipes for tomatoes?

I've a few jalapenos as well.

(and corn, and squash, and cucumbers, and green beans and carrots...)

 
At 11:21 AM, Blogger Fred said...

Have you seen the latest path for Ernesto, Lucy? The 11 am update has it right on top of Tampa. Wherever it goes, looks like I'm in for some rain later this week!

Now we'll see if all the hurricane planning pays off.

 
At 10:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i've never had cornbread, can't imagine making it while camping.

 
At 1:55 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

sounds like a very very yummy thing to wake up to after a night in a tent ;)

We're doing a dutch-oven cook in a couple of weeks for RS... I'll have to save this recipe.

 
At 7:49 PM, Blogger Curious Servant said...

Lucy:

Thanks for your comment (I replied at length over there).

I appreciate your comments and visits.

God bless!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home