Sunday, July 02, 2006

Oh Say….What do you know?

I was reading the Mini Page in the paper this morning and took the “Words That Made a Big Difference” quiz. I wondered how many of these questions you could answer so I decided to post the quiz. (For those of you that are not Americans, take the quiz and see how much you know about America.) Here goes….Who made these statements?

1) “The New England governments are in a state of rebellion.”

2) “The British are coming! The British are coming!”

3) “Remember the ladies.”

4) “We hold these truths to be self evident: that all men are created equal.”

5) “No taxation without representation.”

6) “I have not yet begun to fight.”

7) “I only regret that I have but one life to lose for my country.”

8) “We must indeed all hang together, or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately.”

9) I am adding this on my own. "Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!"

Now to this I will add: Declaration of Independence Quiz A Roo

10) What is the Declaration of Independence?
a) A speech by George Washington.
b) Document in which the 13 Colonies declared their independence from England.
c) American patriots yelling about freedom.

11) Who was the first to sign the Declaration of Indepencence?
a) George Washington
b) Thomas Jefferson
c) John Hancock

12) How does the Declaration of Indepencence begin?
a) “When in the course of human events…”
b) “We the people of the United States….”

Ok now…..let’s see how you did.

Answers below….

1) King George III
2) Paul Revere
3) Abigail Adams
4) Thomas Jefferson
5) patriots at the Boston Tea Party
6) John Paul Jones
7) Nathan Hale
8) Benjamin Franklin
9) Patrick Henry
10) B.
11) C.
12) A.

Have a happy fourth of July and enjoy the freedoms we have here in America. For those that are deep thinkers, go over to TF’s blog and read this.

12 Comments:

At 6:58 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

I got 3 correct! The others i had no clue :(

Happy 4th to you and your family :o)

 
At 1:49 PM, Blogger Big Dave T said...

I did little better than Michelle. That "no taxation without representation" comment really burns me now since we're taxed so often today WITHOUT representation. The city income tax for non-residents being a good example.

 
At 7:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

you have a great one also.

 
At 8:01 PM, Blogger FRIDAY'S CHILD said...

Happy 4th of July! I'm not an American so I can't answer your questions.
Thanks for dropping by.

 
At 6:29 AM, Blogger Merle said...

Hi Lucy ~~I have heard of most of these, but did not know many answers.
Thanks for your comments. Take care, Merle.

 
At 9:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Uhm, I recognized most of them...

 
At 4:37 AM, Blogger Pragmatician said...

I like to believe that I know some stuff about America, but clearly not it's history..

 
At 1:25 PM, Blogger Fred said...

I gotr two wrong. I didn't know the Abigail Adams and Nathan Hale answers.

But, I think I'll add these two to a list of research projects that my students can do. I'd like to know more about these two - it could be interesting.

 
At 1:26 PM, Blogger Fred said...

And...I hope you had a great holiday!

 
At 8:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

PB - We won! Right now, we are in the fourth inning behind 4 to 1. Wouldn't it be awesome to sweep the Cards? TF and I are going to the game tomorrow and the rocket is pitching. Who would have guessed he would be pitching when TF bought the tickets two months ago. I'll go take a look at RC's blog. See Ya.

 
At 11:56 AM, Blogger Rowan Dawn said...

number 12 is funny. that would make a good question on a history test. i wonder how many people would get that one wrong? we weren't any people yet, lol!

 
At 9:43 AM, Blogger Wystful1 said...

LOL - regarding 'vanilla'

Okay....sorry 'bout the confusion. Mine is "the original" Homemade Vanilla kind. I've had most all their ice creams, and love all.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home