Sunday, June 18, 2006

Off to the beach……

It’s been a very busy week and I am just now getting a chance to wash some clothes and get packed for my trip to the beach. Barb, Pat and Donny are already down there and I leave in the morning after I get some important work done.

Yesterday I went to an all day “Ready Houston” hurricane preparedness conference. I’m still learning about what we need to do to become prepared. One of the most interesting speakers was Dr. Neil Frank, who is a weather man for one of our TV stations. He used to be the head of the National Hurricane service headquartered down in Florida. He is such a knowledgeable person and a great speaker. I learned a lot from him.

One of my other favorite classes was about the national 211 service that is in 38 states so far. It was commissioned by the government in the year 2000 and it is headquartered from the United Way office right here in Houston. They have operators available 24/7. I had no idea that it was even available. One of the new features of the service is to pre-register people, with special needs, so that the county knows where they are in case of an emergency. If you have no car or you don’t have a way to leave when a hurricane comes, then they will arrange transportation for you. This service is free and they answer questions for any number of problems. They will give information about where the comfort stations are along the evacuation routes and will tell you where you can get gas, food, ice and lodging. This service is not just for hurricanes, but for people wanting almost any kind of information. I am truly amazed by what I learned yesterday.

One of the other classes that I attended was about the Harris County Citizen Corps. The national program has several programs and you can go take a look at them on their website at: www.citizencorps.gov Their Harris county group helped handle the Hurricane Katrina evacuees in the Houston Astrodome and Reliant stadium. They handled 33,000 people and had only 24 hours to pull it all together when Houston volunteered to help. It was a sight to see.

Another website you might be interested in taking a look at is: www.weking.net If you live in the Gulf Coast area this is a must see. Fred, it may be helpful for you too, over there in Florida.

Happy Fathers Day to all you “Dads” out there. I miss my dad a lot and wish he were still here with us.

Well, tomorrow I’ll be off for my trip to Galveston. I’ll report back in when I get home. Have a good week everyone.

13 Comments:

At 11:22 PM, Blogger -tnchick- said...

Enjoy your trip! I wish I was taking off for the beach :)

 
At 9:31 AM, Blogger Joy said...

That 211 Service is cool.

 
At 10:40 AM, Blogger Wystful1 said...

We live in the coastal bend of Texas, and I know just how wonderful being at the beach can be. Enjoy!!!!

I think we've all become more aware of hurricanes since Katrina and Rita.

Great blog today. I'm gonna click on the links you've left.

 
At 12:28 PM, Blogger Fred said...

Sounds like the conference went well. I remember Dr. Frank when I lived in Miami; he was always on TV then.

Enjoy your trip, Lucy, have a great time.

 
At 1:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

THe beach! I wanna go!

 
At 5:04 PM, Blogger Big Dave T said...

I wish more people would take responsibility to prepare themselves for the next hurricane. Can't depend on the government for everything.

To answer your comment on my blog, my father is a dedicated lurker, but comments rarely. He doesn't trust the internet all that much.

 
At 10:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't get any hurricanes!

 
At 10:42 PM, Blogger Tracy S said...

I hope you did not get stuck in all that rain. If you are still in Galveston...stay there a few more days..lol

 
At 10:49 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

Have a super time at the beach.
That service is brilliant, infact, i'm going to let the cyclone emergency station here in on that one!

 
At 10:43 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I'm jealous. I want to go to the beach.

You're brave to take a class on hurricaine preparation and then just have fun at the beach...

It's comforting to know that they have orgnizations and plans for that sort of thing, though.

 
At 7:59 AM, Blogger Mad Housewife said...

Which beach? Galveston or one of ours down here? I also like Dr. Neil Frank. I only watch channel 11 for all my news. The other stations just seem so fake to me. Hope you're having a great week.

 
At 5:44 PM, Blogger BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

Hope you have (are having) a great time!!

 
At 7:20 PM, Blogger Martin said...

That's great to see that they are really trying to educate those that could be affected in Harris County if a tragic event befalls it. Better to be a step ahead if you can. B) Have a great trip.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home