Monday, March 27, 2006

Wild Ocean Caught Whole Salmon Fillet

Do you like eating Salmon? I enjoy a good Salmon steak when I can get it at a good price. Well for the last several years, I have been buying wild ocean Salmon at Wal-Mart. Last year it came in packages with one 5 ounce serving and it cost $0.99. I would buy enough to put in my freezer for several dinners. The salmon was good and you can’t beat the price with a stick. HEB, Krogers, Randals and other grocery stores were much higher. The only problem is that they only have it one time a year.

I went into Wal-Mart last week and found it was salmon time again. This year it comes in a larger (1.75lb. – 793 g.) package for around $ 5.75. It is the whole fish fillet, cut into 4 serving sizes. It is boneless with the skin on one side. The fish contains 603 mg of Omega-3 fatty acids per serving. It is all natural, no artificial color added, no preservatives added and ready to cook. It is caught in the Pacific Ocean, off the Island of Hokkaido, north of Japan, then hand trimmed in China.

The name on the package says “Aqua Star” and they are based in Seattle. Their website address is www.aquastar.com On the back of the package are instructions for baking, grilling, pan fry/ skillet, broiling and microwaving. Also on the back of the package it gives instructions for different defrosting methods, to include: quick defrost, overnight, and microwave.

I know I sound like an advertisement for Salmon, but the fish is good for maintaining a good healthy heart. The more I read about the health benefits of Salmon, the more I want to eat it. I do know that eating wild salmon has more benefits than eating farm raised salmon. I have never been much of a fish fan, but I am learning about it now. Go check out your Wal-Mart and see if they have it there. I like baking mine with a little squeezed lemon and butter on top. Follow the package instructions and don’t overbake.

I’ve been under the weather with a little cold or allergies. If I don’t make it around to your web page in the next few days you will know why. Talk to ya later.

16 Comments:

At 2:15 PM, Blogger -tnchick- said...

I don't really eat salmon - or any fish much.... I have - when my mom made little salmon patty thigies - but it's rare for me to eat it.

 
At 2:16 PM, Blogger Polyman2 said...

I no like fish-that's why I is so schmart.

 
At 5:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Salmon is one of my favorites. Only my husband will not let me cook fish at the house. When ever I see it on the menu it's mine.

 
At 5:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my I hope you feel better soon too.

 
At 7:18 PM, Blogger BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

I could eat salmon 5 out of 7 days per week.

Have you ever tried a salmon cassorole? I have one with potatoes, leaks, goat cheese and herbs. It is baked, and fantastic!

 
At 1:01 AM, Blogger Michelle said...

MMMm salmon yummy!
Get well soon Lucy :o)

 
At 2:50 AM, Blogger Lucy Stern said...

tnchick and Polyman - Don't know what you are missing.

daybyday4-2day - Does your husband had a hard time with the smell. This Salmon doesn't have too much of an smell to it. Too bad.

barb - I am beginning to really enjoy it. My husband won't eat Salmon out of a can and I love salmon patties. At least I can bake it and he likes it that way.

 
At 6:47 AM, Blogger Danny Sims said...

I have a brother in Kodiak, Alaska. I'll get you some Salmon...

 
At 8:18 AM, Blogger Evey said...

I LOVE salmon. Chris's aunt lives in Browns Point, Washington (right on the water) and every other year they hold a Salmon Bake. It is so much fun and so yummy.

 
At 8:24 AM, Blogger Trinity13 said...

I have never actually tried Salmon. I'm not much of a fish eater, and I don't even like fish sticks, so I prob won't be trying it any time soon...unless someone makes it for me! :-)

Btw, thanks for stopping by my blog!

 
At 1:15 PM, Blogger Oh great One said...

I'm not a big fish fan either, but I've found that I really enjoy Salmon. It's not so "fishy". Thanks for the heads up on the Walmart deal.

 
At 3:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hope you feel better...

 
At 8:28 AM, Blogger JM said...

Salmon is amazing. I always seem to overcook it though.
I've got allergies so bad I want to scratch my eyes out. And I think my nose is forever dripping snot--I feel like a schoolboy again.

 
At 9:00 AM, Blogger Katie said...

my mom cooked samon a lot win i was little and i have noe been able to eat it now that im on my own. kinda weird..


get better

 
At 5:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yummy - we love salmon. I bake it the same way as you do. Thank you for this information. :) And thank you for stopping by My Lighter Side today :)

 
At 8:12 PM, Blogger Rachel said...

Thanks for the promotion of salmon!! It is good and good for you! I have some in my freezer right now (from Schwan's though).

Hope you get better soon!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home