Sunday, February 26, 2006

THIS ONE IS PRICELESS

Some people understand life better, And they call some of these people "retarded"...At the Seattle Special Olympics, nine contestants, all physically or mentally disabled, assembled at the starting line for the 100-yard dash. At the gun, they all started out, not exactly in a dash, but with a relish to run the race to the finish and win. All, that is, except one little boy who stumbled on the asphalt, tumbled over a couple of times, and began to cry. The other eight heard the boy cry. They slowed down and looked back. Then they all turned around and went back......every one of them. One girl with Down's Syndrome bent down and kissed him and said,"This will make it better." Then all nine linked arms and walked together to the finish line. Everyone in the stadium stood, the cheering went on for several minutes . People who were there are still telling the story... Why? Because deep down we know this one thing: What matters in this life is more than winning for ourselves What matters in this life is helping others win, even if it means slowing down and changing our course. "A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle" Friends Make The World Go Round.

A friend of mine emailed this to me last week and it has been floating around in my mind ever since. We can be a light to so many by just turning around and helping others. The Lord will bless us when we do.

17 Comments:

At 9:54 PM, Blogger Mise en Place said...

OMGosh, what a beautiful post. Everyone should take a lesson from those sweet souls. Seems to me, they know more than most of the world. God Bless them!

 
At 10:24 PM, Blogger Bar L. said...

LUCY! I actually teared up a bit when I got your comment because the answer is "no" but you used to be so I am so sorry! I don't know what happened but I will add it this second!

Also, I love the Special Olympics - I agree with what momyblogr said.

 
At 10:34 PM, Blogger -tnchick- said...

I hadn't read that before and you made my eyes all teary. Very touching and it's so true!

 
At 12:20 AM, Blogger Michelle said...

Oh my, that was so precious :)

 
At 1:07 AM, Blogger FRIDAY'S CHILD said...

It is a story to be told. It made my eyes wet with tears. Stories like this give a pinch in my heart. That is why it is never wise to judge someone by the way he looks because sometimes, people you least expect to help are the first to do so.

 
At 2:02 AM, Blogger Lucy Stern said...

momyblogr - Yes, those special children of God have a lot to teach us.

Bar bar a - thanks for adding me. I enjoy reading your blog.

tnchick & michelle - It made me cry too when I first read it.

friday's child - You are right, we should not judge someone because the Lord tells us not to. Life has many surprises.

 
At 6:29 AM, Blogger Mitey Mite said...

What a sweet and inspiring story!

 
At 10:06 AM, Blogger Pragmatician said...

amazing story? Did it really happen?
It just shows how superficial all these competitions are, peopel run against each other for the 'sport' but along the way so many are hurt.

 
At 10:24 AM, Blogger Lucy Stern said...

mitey mite - Yes, it is a sweet story, that is way I love it, so simple and pure.

Prag - Yes this did really happen, in Seattle, WA.

wenchy poo - It is sad how overly competitive the games have become. I think the news media dramatizes the participants too much. Look at Bode Miller who was "supposed" to win 5 gold medals. He didn't even win one. He was too busy partying and having fun to remember why he was there. Then there are those like Joey Cheek who donated his bonus of $ 10,000. to charity. He is my hero.

 
At 11:27 AM, Blogger keesh said...

I love this one! i have several friends who take care of "special needs" kids and I feel these people that desire this work are angels from God. thanks for posting this!

 
At 12:33 PM, Blogger Rowan Dawn said...

Oh that makes me want to cry! At first I felt so bad for the little boy, but when I read on about how they stopped and checked on him I was so happy! Oh how unselfish. I can't see many "normal" people doing that. Maybe younger children. That wonderful innocense! I wish our world wasn't so competitive. Why are all games aobut winning?

 
At 5:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That made me feel so great inside that I got tears in my eyes.

 
At 7:11 PM, Blogger Lucy Stern said...

kish - I agree, they are angels from God.

Connie and Rob - Children teach us in many ways.

daybyday4-2day - It is a sweet story.

 
At 8:42 PM, Blogger Jahn said...

I'd better not comment, or I'll get myself in trouble.

http://www.snopes.com/glurge/special.htm

 
At 8:45 PM, Blogger Jahn said...

Does is work better if I try for a hyperlink? Let's see.

link

 
At 9:16 PM, Blogger Lucy Stern said...

Jahn - I bet no one turned around to help a fallen comrade in these last winter games.... I still think they are special. We get to look at the world thru the eyes of a child.

 
At 8:26 PM, Blogger Jahn said...

Competition ain't all it's cracked up to be. Sometimes, a little co-operation gets better results.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home