Sunday, February 12, 2006

Random Thoughts….

I’ve been really busy this week and I just haven’t had time to reply to those wonderful people who commented on my last post. I’m still helping Felicia with her packing and cleaning. It has inspired me to get to work on my own house. If I had to move right now I would be dead in the water, it would take months to get ready. So I’m trying to de-junk and clean. I sometimes wonder how I get anything done.

I have been working on a project, for church, that has kept me busy now for several weeks and this weekend we did all the work. It was our turn to work in the peanut butter factory. Between Friday morning at 10:00am and Saturday afternoon at around 1:00pm., we made 27,700 jars of peanut butter. We had 300 volunteers, from nine church units, doing the work. I was the coordinator of this group. If you worked the assignment, you were allowed to purchase some of the peanut butter, therefore I collected money and kept records of the purchases. Yesterday, during cleanup, I distributed the purchased peanut butter to the groups that bought it. Here in Houston, our church cannery makes all the peanut butter that is distributed through out our Bishops storehouse system. The Bishops storehouse is like a food pantry. Church canneries all over the country make the food that goes into the storehouses. Our peanut butter feeds people all over the United States through this system. Some of the peanut butter, made last year, was used to feed people in the Hurricane Katrina and Rita areas.

With all this work, I have been ignoring my own business. The good thing is that I do my business from home and I can work when I want to. Since I am not the main bread winner, I am not tied down to a certain number of hours that I have to work. Our business is building and eventually will become our retirement income. Residual income is a wonderful thing.

Anyone watching the Olympics? I saw part of the opening ceremonies the other night and I thought it was great. Pavorati brought down the house with his rendition of Nesendorma. It was beautiful. I watched the last of the speed skating competition last night and the young man from Spring, Tx. (our area) won the Gold Medal. I suppose my favorite part of the winter Olympics is the ice skating. I am hoping that Michelle Kwan will win her Gold Medal this year. It’s going to be tough but she has a chance. If you like the Olympics, what is your favorite part to watch?

Update: Well, it looks like Michelle Kawn is out of the Olympics, she has a groin injury and won't be able to skate. What a shame, I was really pulling for her. I have a feeling that this is the end of her Olympic career. She is getting older and I'll bet she will go to teaching the sport. I'll still be here cheering for the USA.

My daughter sent me this video, which is a Saturday Night Live take on “Don’t Buy Stuff You Can’t Afford”. Take a look. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzQY69jpQgM

Looking for some good healthy recipes? Here is a list of recipes from Dr. Diana Mirkin. I love reading her weekly articles. http://www.drmirkin.com/recipes/RecipeListType.html

From Dawn’s blog: Uses for Milk Jugs and Pantyhose: http://frugalforlife.blogspot.com/2006/02/uses-for-milk-jugs-and-panty-hose.html

16 Comments:

At 11:37 AM, Blogger Fred said...

Welcome back, Lucy, we missed you.

Holy cow! 27,700 jars of peanut butter? That's amazing. What's even more amazing is that I've never liked it. I was always a bologna and cheese kind of guy.

You're keeping busy! Next week is my turn at pulling the disappearing act - hope you have a good week.

 
At 1:58 PM, Blogger Lucy Stern said...

Thanks Fred, Blogging is great, but there are always more important things to do. See ya later.

 
At 5:18 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

That truly is amazing, all that peanut butter...wow.

I loved the opening of the winter olympics! It really was spectacular, and i am proud to say that aussie Rick Birch designed and choreoraphed the whole show :)

Good thing too, because us aussies don't do too well in the cold so we'll be lucky to win any medals;)

 
At 7:51 PM, Blogger JM said...

Peanut butter makes good eating, even on wheat bread.
I saw that Sat Night skit. It was funny the first time I watched it. Had to watch it again on your blog!!!!
I'm sad that Michelle Kwan had to pull out too. Nevertheless, I root for any American that is competing in the Olympics. I get all choked up hearing our national anthem, anytime we win.

 
At 8:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i haven't seen any of the olympics as yet, not sure if i'll watch any at this point.

 
At 7:45 AM, Blogger  Jess said...

Lucy what an awesome blog. My husband is really into disaster preparedness and survival and I'm learning. he's from up North, a former EMT and volunteer firefighter, maybe it's in his blood. I was in the military so I was used to it. But I still have a long way to go in learning more.

I also love the ice skating competition in the Olympics. I could take or leave Kwan frankly but I am angry that she petitioned the committee and won and Emily Cohen was booted off the team. I think that sucks. And now as I recall isn't Emily in New York and can't get a flight to Torino? At least that's last I heard.

I can see Michelle Kwan bowing out because she's afraid she'll hurt the team's chances but she should have thought of that BEFORE she petitioned and whined and a good skater like Emily was booted from the team.

Love the blog!!

 
At 7:48 AM, Blogger FRIDAY'S CHILD said...

Thanks for visiting my site. By the way, I tried to look at the video of Don't Buy Stuff You Cannot Afford but unfortunately it was choppy. Picture was clear but it stops frequently and can't understand anything that's being said. Took a peek also in your healthy recipes. Gosh there is more than a handful of recipes. Just copied the website for a later look.

 
At 8:47 AM, Blogger BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

Glad you are back, Lucy!

We missed you.

Working in the peanut butter factory sounds challenging, to say the least.

 
At 1:19 PM, Blogger Evey said...

Thats ALOT of peanut butter!

I love watching the Olympics. My favorites to watch are figure skating and skiing. I too was sad to hear Michelle Kwan won't get her chance at the gold medal. I think it is time for her to turn pro though so good luck to her.

 
At 1:41 PM, Blogger Oh great One said...

What a feat! That's a lot of Peanut butter. I think it's a great idea. Kudo's to you!

I'm sad about Michelle Kwan too. I'm such a softy though. I want our athletes to win but I want them ALL to perform there best. It breaks my heart when someone trips or wipes out. No matter what country their from.

 
At 2:39 PM, Blogger T. F. Stern said...

I posted a picture of that peanut butter run in a follow up article.

 
At 4:25 AM, Blogger Pragmatician said...

I don't really watch the Olympics, it's too over hyped in my opinion.
It's so nice of you to work on a project especially since you work and have a blog to mantain :)

 
At 7:26 AM, Blogger Danny Sims said...

Good to know you are alright... I have not watched even a minute of the Olympics.

 
At 11:33 AM, Blogger Big Dave T said...

Sometime you'll have to do a blog on finding ways to build a residual income. With retirement looming, I'm trying to come up with ideas.

 
At 11:11 AM, Blogger Joy said...

That SNL video is great.

 
At 5:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just came across your blog. Very interesting. So many well wishers you have! Great friendship!

TrivaniTeam - trivani, Purpose Marketing, humanitarian, aid, MLM, residual, income

 

Post a Comment

<< Home