Monday, February 20, 2006

He’s as Dreamy as he ever was…..

My daughters would use the word “Hot”, You say, “Who are you talking about?” Johnny Rivers, that’s who! Last Saturday night, TF took me to see him in concert. It was my birthday and TF had won the tickets on a radio call in. The last time I saw him I was 18 years old. That was 38 years ago and it was the only rock concert I had ever been to. I had the biggest crush on him. He was clean cut, handsome and boy could he sing. He was one of a kind. He was my secret agent man!

TF and I talked on the way out wondering if he still had his voice. I’ve noticed that when some of those old rockers get into there older years they tend to lose their voice. (Mick Jager, I’m talking to you.) I can tell you for a surety that Johnny’s voice is as good as it ever was. He melted my heart all over again. We noticed that 95% of the people there were our age. I guess you would say that his glory years were in the mid 60’s to the mid 70’s. He played all of my favorites including: Poor Side of Town; Memphis, Maybelline, The Midnight Special, The Seventh Son, Secret Agent Man, Baby I Need Your Loving, Tracks of My Tears, Rockin’ Pneumonia and the Boogie Woogie Flu, Whiter Shade of Pale and others. Johnny grew up in Baton Rouge, LA. so he has a great “blues” style about him. He dedicated two of his songs to the New Orleans area, it was very touching. The concert was, as my kids would say, “Totally Awesome”. I’m glad that I got a chance to go.

When we got home from the concert, I found a Johnny Rivers CD, that TF had bought for me, on the dining room table. I would have to say that dinner out and a concert was the perfect birthday present. How many of you remember Johnny Rivers?

On a frugal note:
http://www.bankrate.com/dls/news/pf/20060214a1.asp Here’s the scoop on Satellite. If you are considering purchasing it, read this for a few facts.

http://www.bankrate.com/dls/news/debt/20060210a1.asp Tackling debt from multiple credit cards.

You've got to listen to this! It's a phone call from a man in Texas who witnessed a car accident involving 4 elderly women. It was so popular when they played it on CHUM FM that they had to put it on their site. http://www.chumfm.com/MorningShow/bits/march24.swf

15 Comments:

At 6:46 AM, Blogger Danny Sims said...

Great date. And what a super bonus idea, the CD. I rememebr Johnny Rivers by the song titles but I wouldn't have known his name.

Sounds fun.

 
At 8:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You must have a super husband...dinner out for your birthday, taken out to see an old crush in concert, some kind of a great guy...

 
At 9:00 AM, Blogger Oh great One said...

I'm glad you had a good time. Happy Birthday!

That radio clip was too funny! His laughter is so contagious! Thanks for sharing it!

 
At 10:06 AM, Blogger Pragmatician said...

Don't know this guy, but well I know almost exclusively French music.

Thanks for the link on the phonecall.

 
At 11:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I always wonder what guys from the bands I liked as teen look like now as adults.

 
At 2:16 PM, Blogger Lucy Stern said...

Danny - It was fun!

anonymous - He is a great guy. I'm not trading him in.


O Great One - That clip is funny. When that guy starts laughing, I start laughing. Can you imagine seeing something like that happening?

Prag - Glad you liked the link.

daybyday4-2day - You ought to see if they have an offical web page and take a look.

mountain mama - yes, what an artist!

 
At 2:45 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

Many Happy Returns!! Glad you had a wonderful time :)

 
At 5:41 PM, Blogger Big Dave T said...

The song I associate with Rivers is the Rockin' Pneumonia song, I think because there is some good honky tonk piano in that one. So many good musicians came out of the 60s and 70s.

 
At 7:10 PM, Blogger Lucy Stern said...

michelle - It was a wonderful time.

big dave t - That is one of his better ones. I like that N.O. honky tonk sound too. The auditorium/theatre we were in had some awesome acustics. Rockin Pneumonia and Seventh Heaven really rocked...I was a teen in the 60's and they did have some good musicans come out of that time period.

 
At 7:39 PM, Blogger Lucy Stern said...

I meant Seventh Son.

 
At 8:41 PM, Blogger -tnchick- said...

I don't suppose I know him but your birthday celebration/date sounds fab!

 
At 8:14 AM, Blogger Heather Smith said...

I didn't know the name, but I know the songs!

 
At 4:16 PM, Blogger -tnchick- said...

Hey Lucy! :) Happy Tuesday.

 
At 3:23 PM, Blogger Joy said...

Because of this post, I checked my credit report for the first time yesterday. Nothing to fear or kick myself about, but I found some open ccs that I have to close. :)

 
At 8:55 PM, Blogger Lucy Stern said...

Way to go Ruby!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home