Thursday, January 26, 2006

She’s moving back to D.C…….

My friend Felicia is moving back to Washington DC. She has been here in Houston for 17 years and it has become necessary for her to move back to where her children are. This wonderful woman is 73 years old and she has a doctorate in science and education. She has been a school teacher, counselor and an assistant principal. I have known her, through our church, most of the time she has been here. From the very beginning we became best buds.

She raised four children mostly as a single mother. She told me that when her husband put a gun in her face and beat her up that it was time to “ditch” him. At the time this happened she already had her bachelor’s degree and was teaching school. After her divorce, she went back to school to get more education. Her parents helped her raise the children and she somehow made it all the way through her doctorate. Felicia is one tough mama. I have heard so many stories about her family that I feel like I know each one of them personally.

In the last year and a half, I have noticed that her memory was starting to go. In the last four months it has gone down hill. She forgot to pay her house payment and she would repeat the same story about six times in thirty minutes. She forgot how to get to my house even though she had driven over here numerous times. TF and I were getting worried about her. Thank goodness for Rodney, her youngest son. He called up a couple of weeks ago and asked her to move up with him. A new assisted living center has been built right behind his house. He knew she would not move in with him but he knew he could get her into this center. When things get to a point where assisted living is no longer workable, she can move two blocks away to an Alzheimers center. I keep telling myself, this is all part of life. The good thing is that Felicia understands this. She says that the Lord has “kept” her and taken care of her all these years. She is apprehensive about the move, but she’ll do just fine.

My husband and I are kind of taking charge of the move. Felicia’s friend, Virginia and I are packing her up. We have gone through her closets and given many of her things to the Salvation Army. You see, Felicia is going from a very large, three bedroom house, to a very small, two bedroom living area. Over her lifetime, and the last seventeen years, she has accumulated many things. There is a whole lifetime of stories in the things that she has. I try to get my work done in the mornings and go over there in the afternoons. A realtor will be putting the house up for sale soon, but there are things that need to be fixed before we can do that. My son in law has a dry wall business and he will be taking charge of fixing things for her in exchange for some of her furniture. Her chimney needs repair and there is a large tree in the back yard that has a root growing under the house. We have been told, by the realtor that it needs to come out. When the time comes, men from the church will come over and load up the U-Haul and a friend will be driving it up to DC for her. Sooooo…much to do!

Felicia has been one of my best friends. I have learned a lot from her and she has been like a grandmother to my children. When she is gone, I will miss her more than you can imagine. I thank God for friends like her.

Just a side note: I was able to find TF some good "last minute" airfare to West Palm Beach this weekend. He will be flying in and then driving the rest of the way to Vero Beach to visit with his parents. Bonnie (my daughter) is working in Fort Lauderdale this week so she will drive over on Sunday and have dinner with them. TF's mom had cancer surgery last Sept. and she is able to let him come visit now. I am so glad that he can do this every so often.

If you are interested in finding some good "last minute" airfare, go to: http://www.smartertravel.com and sign up for their weekly specials.

14 Comments:

At 8:22 AM, Blogger Oh great One said...

I'm sorry you will be losing such a dear friend. What a blessing you and her other friends are to her. It speaks volumes about the kind of woman she is. We should all be so lucky.

 
At 9:32 AM, Blogger JM said...

It sounds like she's affected many people in her life, for everyone to come out and help.
One of my favorite sayings is "Friends are angels who lift you to your feet when you've forgotten how to fly". I always butcher the saying--I should really find it and memorize it.

 
At 1:06 PM, Blogger Danny Sims said...

Felicia sounds like a great person. Strong. You'll miss her, huh? The way she's been changing maybe you were already missing her.

 
At 3:54 PM, Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

Felecia sounds like such a wonderful person and there is nothing more painful than to see the person you know or knew ...leaving, so to speak...I feel bad for her and for you, Lucy...I tell you, this getting oldrr is really lousy! It's really not fair, is it? That your body begins to betray you in what should really be some of The Best years of ones life...You are a truly loving and good good friend...

 
At 4:45 PM, Blogger Fred said...

I'm sure her family is very grateful for all your help. You truly are a good friend, I'm sure you'll miss her.

When TF is in Vero Beach, tell him to wave hi to Mom and Dad for me.

 
At 6:51 PM, Blogger Big Dave T said...

I'm sure she thanks God for friends like you. Alzheimer's is a very stressful disease for the sufferer and all those around him/her. Whatever you can do to ease the stress will be appreciated, I'm sure.

 
At 8:01 PM, Blogger T. F. Stern said...

She is a top notch lady if ever there was one. I wrote a blog after visiting with her last year when she was putting pictures up on the wall.

http://tfsternsrantings.blogspot.com/2005/05/beauty-is-in-eye-of-beholder.html

It hurts to have friends falling apart right before your eyes.

 
At 9:55 PM, Blogger A Red Mind in a Blue State said...

She's a very lucky lady to have friends like you! Here's hoping there's something to karma!

 
At 10:44 PM, Blogger Hoots Musings said...

What a blessing you are to your friend. Your example of true friendship warms my soul.

 
At 12:48 AM, Blogger Michelle said...

Oh my, what an amazing woman your friend is. I know you'll miss her terribly. Friends like her only come into our lives on rare occasions :)

 
At 9:30 AM, Blogger Martin said...

That's a great friendship you have. It is pretty amazing you posted this as I've been thinking about what I would do if that happened with my parents. Living near a center like that is going to make the transition a lot easier. I'm sorry she is going to have to move on you though.

 
At 9:55 AM, Blogger Lucy Stern said...

Everyone, Thanks for your comments. Felicia is a great friend. I really will miss her. Life goes on for us all and we will have other friends to love. She has been a blessing to me.

 
At 10:03 AM, Blogger Rachel said...

I know you will miss this wonderful lady so much. It's great that she has such people like you to help her at this time. I wish her all the best!

 
At 12:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

your friend is very fortunate to have someone like you to help her with all of this, it can't be easy to have to do this, but good for you for stepping in when help is needed.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home