Monday, January 02, 2006

The Old Year Out and the New Year In……

The week after Christmas was a busy one for me. I rested the day after Christmas, went to Jimmy’s funeral on Tuesday and the rest of the week was spend tying up year end activities for my husbands business. I also did some after Christmas shopping. I already have a start on next Christmas. Boy, did I find some bargains. I still need to get a large oversized 2006 calendar for the wall between the kitchen and nook. All appointments and activities go on that calendar. It seems like the older I get the more I need a calendar to keep me where I need to be.

New Years Eve was a jumble of activities. I picked Bonnie up at the airport, did some last minute grocery shopping and then went out to dinner with my husband. We were later than usual getting out for dinner, so we ended up waiting for an hour to be seated. It was worth the wait because we had a fantastic meal with excellent service. After dinner we went straight to Foleys to purchase an alternative down comforter for my daughter’s bed. (I had purchased one the day before and liked it so much that I wanted to get one for her bed. I got both of them for just under $ 100.00 total.) After purchasing our comforter we headed home for the evening. You could hear fire crackers going off and there was evidence of drunk drivers already. Neither one of us wanted to be outside for the rest of the evening. Once home, we walked the dogs and settled in for the night. Wouldn’t you know it, both of us were asleep by 10:30pm. I couldn’t keep my eyes open another minute.

New Years Day I was up by 6:00am. I started work on a very special dessert that took me 3 hours to make. This recipe has been in the family for over 150 years and is so rich, you can only eat a little. My kids begged me to make it for dinner. TF’s mom would make it every year at Christmas and when they moved to Vero Beach we stopped eating it. She gave me the recipe, with complete instructions on how to make it, and this year the “Charlotte Rouse” was made. Our traditional New Years dinner was great. Along with our fabulous dessert we had Steak, black eyed peas, cabbage, rice, Granny salad and French bread. We had a toast, for the New Year, with Sparkling Grape Juice. The dinner and the company were wonderful.

My hopes and dreams for next year are as follows:

1) For my family to achieve their personal goals.
2) Somehow help my son, who seems to be in denial about his drinking problem.
3) Take off some unwanted pounds and stay healthy.
4) Read my scriptures every day and attend the temple at least once a month.
5) Get better organized and get rid of clutter.
6) Achieve set goals for my business.
7) Help others and be in tune with the Lord.
8) Be thankful for all I have.

I wish all of my friends, out there in blogland, a happy and prosperous 2006.

Today's Healthy eating tip: Lisa's 40-Calorie White Custard

3/4 cup liquid egg whites
1 1/2 cups Hood Carb Countdown fat-free milk
1/3 cup Splenda
1 tea. vanilla

Blend all ingreditents well without whipping; pour into 4 Custard cups. Sprinkle with Cinnamon if desired. Bake at 325 degreesF in shallow pan of water for 30-60 minutes until knife in center comes out clean. Serve chilled.
Serving size: 4 - Calories: 41 - Protein: 7 g. - Fat: 0 g. - Chol: 0 mg. - Sodium: 132 mg. - Fiber: 0 g. - Sugar: 2 g. - Kitchen Time: 5 minutes Total time: 1 hour.

25 Comments:

At 9:49 AM, Blogger Danny Sims said...

A great list. I will pray for your #2.

We buy our big family calendar about mid-month, when those places in the mall have them 50% off. We take turns picking it out and this year is my turn. Last time it was my turn I got a VW Van Calendar. I'll let you know what I go for this time!

 
At 9:57 AM, Blogger Danny Sims said...

Hey... I just put a link to you on my blog...

 
At 10:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

that's a great list, it's realistic, i don't think you should have any problems with it.
happy new years to you and your family.

 
At 5:00 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

Sounds like a great list lucy :o)

Sounds as though your home has been a hive of activity, don't forget to put your feet up!

 
At 7:19 PM, Blogger Running2Ks said...

May your son recover, and may you stay healthy--in body and in spirit.

 
At 7:21 PM, Blogger eyes_only4him said...

well, you have me curious about this dessert you speak of..my mouth is watering..

wonderful goals for the new year..i need to read scriptures more too..i am bad that way..

 
At 7:47 PM, Blogger Rachel said...

Your goals sound realistic! I gotta work on that weight one too.

That dessert sounds really yummy and taking 3 hours to make it!! Wow, it must be yummy!!

 
At 8:37 PM, Blogger Keshi said...

Great way to start a new year Lucy...all those good resolutions...

A very happy New Year to u!

Keshi.

 
At 5:04 AM, Blogger Pragmatician said...

Great list,I'm sorry to hear about your son's problem, I've heard that it can help to record a person when he's drunk, then when they see and hear themselves they are so shoked that they turn their lives around.

 
At 10:32 AM, Blogger Big Dave T said...

I can identify with nearly all your goals for 2006. I'm going to start drinking some herbal tea this year. Maybe that will help with my health issues.

 
At 12:56 PM, Blogger Live, Love, Laugh said...

wow, you have been as busy as I have. The holidays have taken me away from blogging, but I am back and going strong. I wanted to share with you a book to get for your son, it is called "A Million Pieces." It is the story of a guy who was drug and alcohol addicted. He says you can't help your loved ones. They have to want to help themselves, they have to save themselves. I am going to get the book today, I will let you know the author and the exact name of the book. God Bless you, I will pray for your son to realize his problem and for God to give him the desire to help himself!!!

 
At 2:11 PM, Blogger Nettie said...

I got two claendars. People must think I'm losing it.

 
At 2:58 PM, Blogger BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

All great resolutions, and a wonderful way to start the year, Lucy!

Many blessings to you and yours.

I wish I could cook like you!

 
At 5:24 PM, Blogger Minka said...

Happy New Year; Lucy Stern. Those are some nice wishes for 2006 you are having. I like the first one very much.

 
At 8:38 PM, Blogger Janet said...

The only problem I have with starting Christmas shopping this early is remembering where I put everything by the time next Christmas rolls around!

 
At 12:05 AM, Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

You have some great goals for the New Year. I wish you much success! As you know, I'll be trying to lose some weight and I will continue exercising six times a week.

I just love Splenda. I use it a lot on berries and to make vanilla cream drinks. The custard recipe sounds yummy and easy to make.

 
At 6:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

what a nice list of hopes and dreams!

 
At 7:24 AM, Blogger JM said...

I need to get rid of clutter and some weight too.

 
At 11:09 AM, Blogger Lucy Stern said...

Danny - I love camping and hope to do more of it...Thanks for adding me to your blogroll. I will add you as soon as I figure out how to do it.


BSTS - I think I can handle these items this time around.

Michelle - My feet go up at night after dinner.

running 2ks - Thanks

The dessert is a gaurded secret and I am not allowed to give it out, but it is to die for. Let's both work on reading our scriptures.

Rachel, Keshi, and Helen - Thanks! Wish me luck in getting them all moving and a part of my every day routine.

Prag - Praying for my son daily. Maybe this would work.

Bid Dave - I started drinking Green Tea, it has all kinds of health benefits.


Live,Love and Laugh - PLEASE send me the name of that book. I need it.

Miss Nettie Belle - I'm still haven't gone over to Office Depot to get the calendar..

Barb - Good luck to you and your daughter. Hope you have a great year. Be positive!

Monika - Thanks for the good wishes. I really do hope my family gets their hopes and dreams.

Janet - I have a closet in the guest bedroom that I have labeled, "the gift closet" and all gift items go in there. I know right where to go to get what I need.

Jamie Dawn - Could you give me the recipe for those Vanilla Cream Drinks? They sound yummy! I will be buying that special milk today so I can make the custards.

day by day - Thanks

angel,jr. - I think we all need to get rid of clutter and lose some weight.

 
At 7:00 PM, Blogger Janet said...

Maybe my problem is not that I'll lose it, but that I need extra closet space.:)

 
At 12:12 AM, Blogger Lucy Stern said...

Janet - all I can say is "Where there is a will, there is a way." Good luck!

 
At 9:46 AM, Blogger Jeff H said...

Hey, wait a minute--you off-handedly mention this fabulous dessert (Charlotte Rouse), but then give us a healthy, skimpy little 40-calorie recipe?!?!

WE WANT FAT AND CALORIES GALORE!!!

GIMME, GIMME, GIMME!!!

 
At 10:44 AM, Blogger Lucy Stern said...

Jeff, I wish I could give it out but it is a family recipe and I have been forbidden to give it out. When Grandma Stern gave it to me she made me promise not to give it out....Believe me that there is a ton of calories in this recipe. It is like heaven and it is the hardest thing I have ever made. Grandma's directions go into great detail on how to make it. I even had to call her New Years morning to ask her a question. I suppose you will just have to come over for New Years dinner with us next year.

 
At 9:18 AM, Blogger Lori said...

Lucy Happy New Year to you!
I live by those wall calendars too everything goes on there, even my meal plan.
That dessert sounds divine, glad you enjoyed it.
Blessings to you this New Year.

 
At 11:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow 16 when you meet him. My daughter is 16 and dating... he is nice, but I'm not sure if he is the best for her. Only God knows and time will tell.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home