Thursday, January 19, 2006

How do they see where they are going?

I was watching the movie “Hunt for Red October” this morning, and I was wondering how they steer that submarine around under the water and not hit anything. How do they see where they are going? Do they have a peep hole somewhere? I know that the “SSRN Seaview” has a great big picture window on the front that Admiral Nelson and Captain Lee Crane could see thru. I wonder how Captain Nemo was able to navigate his ship under water? Every time I watch a movie with submarines, I wonder how they do it. One movie I watched, the sub was able to navigate thru a net and straight into the harbor without hitting the net and being detected. I know that there are mountains under water and somehow those subs manage to navigate around them without hitting one and sinking. How does this work? Any answers out there?

Ok, now that I have that off my mind, take this quiz about Ben Franklin and see just how much you know about him. I found out that I don’t know as much as I thought I did.
http://encarta.msn.com/quiz_200/Ben_Franklin_Quiz.html?GT1=7538


Here's a fun game to play. The object of the game is to move the red block around without getting hit by the blue blocks or touching the black walls. If you can go longer than 22 seconds you are phenomenal. I was told that the US Air Force uses this for fighter pilots. They are expected to go for at least 2 minutes. Give it a try!! http://tinyurl.com/56t9u

One last item here: 8 types of income the IRS can't touch

19 Comments:

At 4:05 AM, Blogger Michelle said...

The thought of being stuck in one of those submarines freaks me out! How could anyone not get claustrophobia? I think they must have like a GPS navagation system on board. They go down pretty deep, it would be very dark i would think.

 
At 5:29 AM, Blogger Sum Kinda Princess said...

What an informative entry this is and I'll have to come back to read it since I'm on my way to work. Thanks soooo much Lucy for caring enough to write straight from the article! You're so sweet to be so helpful. I appreciate your kindness and will give it a try for sure!!!

 
At 5:48 AM, Blogger Dawn said...

Cool Game!
I thought they used Radar? Ya know, "blip blip". Now, how it works, I haven't a clue.

 
At 6:45 AM, Blogger Jahn said...

"I was wondering how they steer that submarine around under the water and not hit anything"

Repeat after me: "It's only a movie. It's only a movie." :-)

~Dawn was close. They use sonar.

 
At 1:16 PM, Blogger JM said...

I went 28 secs

 
At 6:12 PM, Blogger BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

I am so bad at taking these on-line games.

When I was little, Disneyland used to have one of those submarine rides, and I thought about the same question!!

 
At 7:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Visit the sub base in Groton CT (I know it says New London, but that's across the river!) and go on the tour of the Nautilus & ask questions. I had to leave it, got claustrophoic, but my husband built subs at Electric Boat in Groton, so he loved it.

 
At 1:14 AM, Blogger Live, Love, Laugh said...

My husband was in the Navy so now I have to go ask him, you got me wondering.

 
At 2:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The US submarines are able to navigate under water without hitting anything because they are being guided by Our Lord Jesus Christ. Jesus always looks out for good christian nations.

On the other hand the subs of the Soviets and other such heathen nations are guided by the Satan.

 
At 6:33 AM, Blogger Danny Sims said...

I'd go crazy knowing all that was between me and a head-on with a massive rock formation was a few "pings."

 
At 9:20 PM, Blogger M. C. Pearson said...

Hey! Thanks for visiting my sickie self. I'm still coughing a bit and am tempted to get those Olive tea things (we have a really tight budget though). The second round of antibiotics seems to be starting to work.

Anyway, about the sub...I think it is radar and sonar. Did you know that radar operators tend to be dyslexsic because the Navy requires them to write backwards on a clear board so others can read it from the other side. Just a fun tid-bit! (I have a friend whose brother is a radar operator. And yes he and his fellow operators are all dyslexic.)

I haven't tried your links yet but will do so now!

 
At 9:39 PM, Blogger M. C. Pearson said...

Okay, I got 6/10 correct on Benjamin Franklin...I don't think that red square thing was working on my computer because I got 115.8 seconds before I deliberately crashed into a blue square. My computer is just too slow or something. Oh well, makes me look good, HA! The blue blocks didn't even move. I just pushed the red square around. So, no, I'm not a genius... :)

 
At 2:09 AM, Blogger John & Elaine said...

7/10 on the quiz and 28.68 seconds on the game...would have lasted longer, but the blue blocks increase speed about every 6 seconds.

 
At 6:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I bet my oldest son can handle that game. I'm going to send him that way.

 
At 3:47 PM, Blogger The Zombieslayer said...

I don't know for sure, but I assume they use sonar to see how close they are to other objects. You can see underwater to certain depths, but when you go really deep, it turns to black. Or they have really good lights.

There, my two guesses.

 
At 10:26 PM, Blogger Rowan Dawn said...

Sonar, I would think. But stuff like that gets me all the time. I am always picking apart movies. It irritates my hubby. He says it only a movie! I say, then they should do it right!

 
At 8:50 AM, Blogger Lucy Stern said...

Thanks everyone for your imput. I have always wondered about "driving" under water and I now I have learned how they do it.

 
At 9:28 AM, Blogger Running2Ks said...

13.97 seconds and still playing--that is addictive!

 
At 10:33 PM, Blogger John & Elaine said...

I did the game and I beat John. I got 33.92 seconds. I thought it was good. I am hoping the next time I play it. Hopefully it gets better everytime I play it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home