Sunday, December 04, 2005

I Say “Merry Christmas”

Last night my husband and I went to our church Christmas party. I had signed up to take a potato dish that is a church favorite. I always like going to the Christmas party because there are a lot of people in attendance, grown ups and children alike. Last night was no different, the cultural hall was packed with people. Everyone was visiting with each other and there was plenty of food. After we ate dinner, everyone helped clean and put away the tables. All the chairs were lined up in front of the stage for the Christmas play. It was a typical play, telling the story of Christmas. The young children from primary sang several songs and then there was the church choir and assorted groupings of people who also sang. One of the young men did a rap version of “The Night Before Christmas” and then Santa showed up to talk to the children. I am glad we went because it reminded me of why we are having Christmas. For those that believe in Jesus Christ, Christmas is the reason for the season. For those that don’t then “Happy Holidays”. As for me, I say Merry Christmas…..

Here’s the recipe for the potato dish:

1 24 oz. bag frozen shredded (not diced) hash brown potatoes, thawed
2 cans – cream of chicken soup
2 cups – sour cream*
1 cup – grated cheddar cheese*
2 cups – plus 2 Tbl.. Melted butter*
1/3 cup – chopped onion
2 cups – crushed corn flakes

Combine 2 Tbl. Melted butter and conflakes. Set aside. In a large mixing bowl, combine remaining ingredients. Blend well. Pour potato mixture in a large oblong pan. (I just use a 9 x 13” pan.) Sprinkle crushed cornflake mixture on top and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Serve hot.
*Do not use low-fat versions of these ingredients. Low-fat sour cream and cheddar will not melt, and margarine has water in it.
This recipe has been called: Funeral Potatoes because it was used many times for the receptions after funerals.

Tips for the day:

Five tips for online shopping: http://archive.parade.com/2005/1120/1120_online_shopping.html

A Holiday Tradition to Break: Overspending!

http://moneycentral.msn.com/content/Savinganddebt/Savemoney/P88487.asp?Gt1=7399

Guide to Making Fudge: Does yours always set up?

http://lifestyle.msn.com/FoodandEntertaining/Recipes/ArticleBHG.aspx?cp-documentid=19758&GT1=7462

17 Comments:

At 7:41 AM, Blogger Fred said...

Darn, you can't use low-fat stuff. That does it for me.

Church sounded like a great time. It's great to see young people perform this time of year. I'm going to the school concert next week; I'm looking forward to seeing all my students on the stage.

 
At 9:55 AM, Blogger Lucy Stern said...

Sorry Fred, This particular recipe you have to use the "real" stuff. It wouldn't work on your low carb diet anyway. I'll try to find a good recipe for you.

Yes, it is fun to see the children perform. Christmas concerts are my favorites. When Bonnie and Jen were in high school, their band used to have a Christmas concert. Every year they would play my favorite version of sleigh ride. I'm sure for you, being a H.S. teacher, that you feel a sence of pride seeing your own kids perform. How many days till Christmas break?

 
At 10:22 AM, Blogger BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

Although I do not celebrate Christmas, I wish those whom I know do celebrate a Merry Chirstmas. In the same vein, most people who know that I celebrate Hanakuh wish me a Happy Hanukah.

Your recipe sounds delicious.

 
At 11:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i say merry christmas!

 
At 12:29 PM, Blogger Lucy Stern said...

Barbara, Happy Hanukah to you..I hope your daughter is doing better.

BSTS: Merry Christmas to you!

 
At 7:19 PM, Blogger Keshi said...

A very merry Christmas to u too!

Sounds like a delicious dish..will try it sometime thanks!

Keshi.

 
At 7:50 PM, Blogger Quo said...

MERRY CHRISTMAS, AND A BLESSED NEW YEAR! :) Happy Hanukah for those who celebrate it too!!!

 
At 7:53 AM, Blogger Natalia said...

Sounds yummylicious :)

-N

 
At 1:36 PM, Blogger Big Dave T said...

A rap version of Night Before Christmas? I'm more of the traditional sort. When our boys were in cathechism the church would do a live nativity. I thought that was appropriate.

Speaking of traditional, they don't even do the traditional Xmas midnight mass at midnight now. At least not at our church.

 
At 1:48 AM, Blogger Michelle said...

OOoooo that potato dish sounds like a keeper!

 
At 8:23 PM, Blogger Nettie said...

He is the reason for the season, we just can't all see it.

 
At 5:32 AM, Blogger Live, Love, Laugh said...

that recipe sounds delicious!!!!

 
At 10:23 AM, Blogger Rowan Dawn said...

Sounds yummy!

 
At 2:00 PM, Blogger Joy said...

i forget that funeral potatoes aren't known to all.

 
At 11:42 PM, Blogger Running2Ks said...

Lucy, funny you should mention this dish--I finished writing my post for tomorrow morning, and this dish features prominently ;)

Merry Christmas!

 
At 8:57 AM, Blogger Saur♥Kraut said...

OH YEAH! That potato casserole is a staple in our family. We have it with every holiday meal. The kids would happily kill for it. I DO use no-fat sour cream, and it works, but I also use REAL butter.

 
At 7:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We call that hashbrown casserole here in the south. I use creme of mushroom soup though and I also use the low-fat versions and you truly can't tell! I think the trick is instead of mixing everything in a bowl - you mix the margarine, sour creme, soup,and cheese in a pan - heating it - it melts and blends just fine.

YUM! I'll be craving this now.

tina

 

Post a Comment

<< Home