Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Herbs and Spices

Hi everyone! Well it’s that time of year when my church group puts together an herb and spice order. I’m a little later than usual in getting out the word so this year we are doing something a little different. We are able to look at the catalog “online” and then put together a group order. I am going to give you the web address for the catalog so you can look at it and see if it is something you might want to order for yourself. The web address is: http://www.sfherb.com/pdf/SFherb2005Fall.pdf I have been ordering herbs and spices from them for about 10 years now and am always happy with what I order. These prices are much lower than what you will pay at the store.

When I wrote this blog, http://lucysfrugalliving.blogspot.com/2005/09/yesit-will-be-here-before-you-know-it.html back in September, I gave a recipe for Cinnamon Ornaments. I ordered the cinnamon and other spices thru San Francisco Herb Co. and paid quiet a bet less for the spices than I would have at Krogers.

If anyone in Houston wants to order with our group, please email me at: lucy.stern@gmail.com and we can talk and I could give you the particulars. By ordering as a group, we will get enough that we won’t have to pay shipping.


Tip for the Day: Making Croutons

1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2) Use slices of white or dark bread. Cut into ½ inch cubes.
3) Arrange cubes in a shallow baking pan.
4) Bake until golden brown – about 20 to 25 minutes- stirring occasionally. ( you can also season the bread cubes at this time with garlic salt or what ever flavor you want your croutons to have.)
5) Cool and store in an airtight container.

These croutons may be used for Bread stuffing for your turkey.
Yesterday I used some stale bread and about six small loaves of some stale french sticks. I cut them up into small pieces and just followed the recipe above. I wanted to get a head start on my Thanksgiving cooking. They turned out great and I am looking forward to making my dressing with them. My husband likes the bread stuffing, which is different from the corn bread stuffing I was raised on. Ahhhhh...we'll see what happens.

Corny Casserole: A recipe from Cindy Watson * Gooseberry Patch Christmas book
Actually this is one of my dad’s favorite recipes. This would be great on your Thanksgiving table as an extra dish.

3 eggs
½ cup Butter, melted
½ tea. Salt
7 oz. box corn muffin mix (Jiffy is what I use)
8 oz. sour cream
16 oz. can creamed corn
16 oz. can whole kernel corn, drained

Beat eggs with butter. Add salt, corn muffin mix and sour cream; beat well. Add corn. Bake in 8” x 8” (greased) pan at 350 degrees for 30 to 35 minutes. Serves 8.

Dad would double the recipe and take it to pot lucks, senior citizens dinners, church dinners, and family dinners. We all love his corn casserole. It’s easy, give it a try..

Update: Chocolate & Peanut Butter Cheesecake Bars
http://www.verybestbaking.com/recipes/detail.aspx?ID=133609&trid=novmot

7 Comments:

At 7:08 PM, Blogger Running2Ks said...

MMmm, thank you for that crouton recipe.

 
At 7:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i always make my own croutons, they taste so much better.

 
At 1:43 PM, Blogger Oh great One said...

These sound tasty!

 
At 6:22 PM, Blogger An Ordinary Christian said...

Just stopped by to say hi.

 
At 5:43 AM, Blogger Live, Love, Laugh said...

I have never made my own croutons, perhaps I will give it a whirl!

 
At 9:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good idea.. thnaks for the tip.

 
At 3:27 PM, Blogger Fred said...

(In Homer Simpson style) Mmmmm, croutons.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home