Monday, October 03, 2005

I’m getting too old for this….

This past weekend was my daughter’s fifth wedding anniversary. She and her husband wanted to have some time of their own to celebrate. Jennifer asked me three weeks ago if I would baby sit for JJ (almost 4 yrs. old) and baby Jocelyne who is 2 months old. I said yes without much thought, after all they are my grandchildren and I love seeing them.

Oh man, I think I forgot what it is like to take care of two small children. JJ wanted to play with everything and baby Jocelyne was gassey. She is on a Soy formula because she is allergic to milk. The only thing is that soy is constipating. Poor little girl was trying her best to fill her diaper and it didn’t happen till just before mom and dad picked her up. I didn’t get a thing done this past weekend. I was happy to see Jen and Justin when they came for their babies. I know my daughter appreciated me sacrificing my time for them and that alone was worth the time I spent babysitting.

I really feel for parents who have to raise their grandchildren. I have a friend who’s daughter is bi-polar. She has three children that she loves but she can not take care of them all by herself. Her mom and dad have taken them in and are helping to raise these children. I can tell you one thing though; she has taught those girls how to do everything. They can wash clothes, clean, cook and even use a sewing machine. They are wonderful girls but they are being raised by their grandparents. I know that there are times when family has to come to the aid of family. It’s good that my friend can help out, but it was not what she had on her wish list for the years after her own children were grown and gone. I suppose God had other plans for her. We never know what is going to happen.

Do you know people who are raising their grandchildren?

5 Comments:

At 1:51 PM, Blogger Jahn said...

No, but I've met a few who are raising their grandparents. Bwahaha!

 
At 3:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

one of my gf's adopted her grandson when he daughter had a daughter very early, i think she was 15, and wound up raising him as her own. he's grown up now but i knew she has gone through alot, it would be like having another child in your 40 or 50's, don't know if i could do it fulltime.

 
At 6:54 AM, Blogger Happy and Blue 2 said...

I know of several. Actually my sister is doing this.
I don't think people expect for this to happen. But it does happen. A lot. And taking care of parents happens a lot here as well..

 
At 3:54 PM, Blogger Lucy Stern said...

I can see taking care of parents. I would have been more than happy to have taken care of my dad, but he was stubborn and stayed in his house till he died. Sure do miss him.

 
At 4:17 PM, Blogger BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

I knew of several of these, but I am a stair person...At my age, I need the exercise.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home