Friday, August 19, 2005

Today is the Day…….

That day has come when the puppies go to their new homes. They take their last worm treatment today and then their new owners can pick them up. It has been a real experience for our family to have puppies. We have never done this before and it was a real learning experience. Roxie has been a good mother and I’m sure she will miss her babies. She still follows you around if you are holding one of the puppies and she gets nervous if you handle the puppies for too long. She has been going thru the weaning process pretty well. The only problem is that if you put one of the puppies down anywhere near her, they run straight for mom’s “food”. They have not nursed at all now for two days.

The little rascals have grown sooooo fast. When they were born they were 14 ½ to 16 ounces. Two weeks ago, when they went in for their 3 ½ week check up they were 4 ½ to 5 pounds. That was two weeks ago. I wonder what they weigh now? They are still growing by leaps and bounds. When they started weaning I would make a mush out of their puppy food, now they eat regular puppy food right out of the bag. They chew on everything and it amazes me just how sharp their teeth are.

These puppies have done everything together. They play, eat, and sleep together. They sleep together on a towel that I put in their pen. I wonder what is going to happen when they are all separated and in their new homes. I have a feeling it is not going to be fun for them. They tend to cry for each other when we take one out of the pen. I can’t imagine this being easy. The vet gave me some information that tells you how to take care of a new puppy. I have put some puppy food in a zip lock bag along with the instruction sheet to give to the new owners.

The one thing that I won’t miss is the mess these puppies make. Every day I have had to pick up all the news papers that I have lined the pen with. There is not one piece of paper that doesn’t have poop or pee on it. What a mess. I get that all cleaned up, sweep and then mop. After the floor dries I cover the floor with new newspapers. The puppies go back into the pen and start all over with their mess. The other night I put the puppies in the laundry room while I cleaned. When I was done, I opened the door to find three piles of poop and their were little brown footprints all over the laundry room. They had to have a bath. My husband gave each one a bath in the sink and dried them off and put them back in the pen. I was tired but still had to clean the laundry room. What a mess. I won’t miss this part of raising the puppies.
Wish me luck....I'll need it.

Here are two current pictures of the puppies:
http://bonnietravels.blogspot.com/2005/08/puppies.html andhttp://tfsternsrantings.blogspot.com/2005/08/7-puppies-getting-drink-of-water.html

14 Comments:

At 10:22 AM, Blogger BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

What cuties!!!!!!!!!

I have a post today on dogs too, but I think you may have answered the question in my post already.

Enjoy these dolls.

 
At 11:17 AM, Blogger GodlessMom said...

They are adorable and I personally can never get enough of puppy breath! Such a big step for the little guys to take today!

 
At 12:35 PM, Blogger Tammy said...

Hi Lucy,
I took your advice and got some Olive Leaf. Maybe it is all in my head or maybe I was due to get better anyway but I really have almost stopped coughing. Weird but I'm not questioning it, just enjoying it.

 
At 2:20 PM, Blogger Lucy Stern said...

Puppy count, 3 down - 4 to go. I miss them already.

Boo - Glad the Olive Leaf worked. It worked for me and now we have someone else it worked for. I'm glad.

 
At 5:53 PM, Blogger Lucy Stern said...

Well Aaron, I guess you could say they are paper trained. Ha. Ha. Never done this before so the new owners will have to potty train them.

 
At 8:58 PM, Blogger SquirrleyMojo said...

Gasp! Awwwwwwww! I want one soooo badly!

 
At 10:22 PM, Blogger Nettie said...

Wow, bittersweet partings, but just remind yourself of the things you won't miss.

 
At 11:06 PM, Blogger FattyPants said...

Hi lucy, those puppies are just soooooooooo cute. It would be hard to let them go :( I like the link on camping breakfast too. We are preparing for our end of summer camping trip and it will be so helpful.

 
At 10:25 AM, Blogger Meegan said...

Too cute for words!!! I hope they live long and happy lives in their new homes.

 
At 11:23 AM, Blogger Lucy Stern said...

Puppy Update: We are down to one puppy. All the others are gone now and I already miss them. The last little puppy goes tomorrow afternoon.
Thanks for all your kind words.

 
At 12:15 PM, Blogger Fred said...

They're sooo cute. As long as they go to a good home, they'll do fine. It is tough to separate, them, though. My kids would want to keep them all here if we had them.

 
At 1:00 PM, Blogger ninjapoodles said...

Our puppies went to their new homes 2 weeks ago, so I feel ya. We only had a litter of three, though (miniature poodles). They were out of our champion bitch by a champion/agility titled stud. We only sold one, and one went to the stud owner (co-owned by us) to be shown, and we kept the one we want to show (he's on my blog). And no, I will not miss the smell. One thing I can recommend that helps a LOT is Second Nature Dog Litter. They have it at PetSmart. It really keeps the odor down, and the puppies take right to it. Then it's really easy to housetrain them. Did you keep any of the pups?

 
At 3:01 PM, Blogger Lucy Stern said...

We didn't keep any of the puppies, since we already have another dog and 2 cats. William , our son, is taking the mother. She was supposed to be his anyway. When we got her his was working up in Wyoming on an oil rig. He really had no place to keep her so we ended up with her and didn't even know she was pregeant. What a surprise. In the mean time, William moved back to town so that he could get a job closer to home. Now he will get Roxie and we will be back to our usual three. Somehow it all worked out.

 
At 3:43 PM, Blogger Joy said...

I'm glad it all worked out.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home