Saturday, August 27, 2005

It Could Come Our Way…..

Living on the Texas Gulf Coast, we have to watch for Hurricanes. We have one now, Katrina, looming out in the Gulf over near the tip of Florida. It did some damage as it passed over the Florida Keys and is now looming out there deciding which way to go. Some of the hurricane models show it turning north and going in between New Orleans and somewhere in Mississippi. Right now it is meandering due west with no hint of turning North. Now the weather forecasters say that it won’t come our way because of a high weather system hanging over us, but it could go around the high and still come in a little too close for comfort. Living down here I am pretty well up on hurricane knowledge and think that I am pretty well prepared for such an event. I pray that I never have to worry about such a thing, but you never know. What do you know about Hurricanes? Check out this hurricane quiz and see how you fare.
http://encarta.msn.com/quiz_52/Hurricane_Quiz_Eye_of_the_Storm.html

Next month my husband and I will be flying to Florida to visit his parents. I told him when I bought the plane tickets that they were non-refundable and if a storm decided to come their way, out tickets would be flying in the wind. Right now I am hoping and praying that a hurricane doesn’t decide to visit Grandma the same time we do. Wish us luck.

Update: Sunday morning around 9:00am..... The storm has turned Northerly and has grown to a catagory 5 with winds up to 160 mph. It still has room to grow and it is a MONSTER of a storm. It is projected to go in somewhere near New Orleans, possibibly close to Mississippi. Anyone to the east should prepare for huge damage. I am so glad that we are to the west of the storm. We are very lucky at this point to be out of the full fury of this storm, because it is going to be very bad mama....Pray for those in it's path.
Update: Sunday afternoon almost 2:00pm..... Winds are now up to 184 mph. with the pressure dropping down to 902 millobars.....MONSTER!
Update: Monday morning around 1:00am....Winds down to 160 mph. and still a catagory 5 storm. Looks like New Orleans, La. is in for a tough night.
Update:Monday morning around 11:30am....The storm went on shore just to the east of New Orleans and is churning around there now. We are not going to get any rain from this, but there are others that are getting a direct hit. A friend of mine just called to say her son just drove in from New Orleans with a car load of people and they will be camping out in her house for a couple of days. She is just grateful that her son is alright.

18 Comments:

At 11:25 AM, Blogger GodlessMom said...

That would really be a bummer if a storm were to ruin your trip! I hope that doesn't happen.

I have a hard time imagining any storm that could be worse here than Allison in 2001. That was something else, even though it wasn't even a hurricane!

 
At 11:26 AM, Blogger Adrienne said...

Oooooooo...good luck! I've been following the stories about the hurricanes and I hope Florida can be spared!

It's bad enough to be hit once by a hurricane but to have it turn and to get hit but it again? Scary and disheartening I'm sure. I feel bad for those people living there. :(

 
At 11:54 AM, Blogger steve said...

hi Lucy

I see your coments on Rebekahs site and I thank you for your prayers. I thought I should tell you that Darlene is not the mother of little Rebekah. Her MOmmy and Daddy are Scott and Francis.
May God Bless you

 
At 12:12 PM, Blogger Lucy Stern said...

godlessmom...Would you believe that I have lived here my whole life and I was in Colorado and Utah when Allison came thru. I was visiting my daughters and missed the whole thing. My husband would call and give me updates. We were so luck to not get flooded by 13 families from our ward had 2 to 8 feet of water in their house. After that I went to our insurance agent and had flood insurance put on our house. I would rather be safe than sorry.
I grew up out by Hobby airport and when I was 12 yrs. old, hurricane Carla came thru. I will never forget that for the rest of my life. The sound of the wind and rain on our house of deafening. Our house did not flood and was relatively unscaved, but we lost a lot of trees. My uncle Herbert lived on the coast about 30 miles from where the eye of the storm came in and all he had left was the foundation of his house. What a mess.

 
At 6:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

let's hope that hurricane doesn't visit anyone at all.
my oldest daughter is studying geography in university, it's amazing the stuff she learns about weather wise, she's become my own personal weather girl

 
At 11:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for dropping by my place... it's late so I won't stay here long... but I'll be back.

 
At 12:00 PM, Blogger Lois Lane said...

Since you and I just "met" I'd hate to see you swept away. I'm glad it's turned away from you and wish the best for those who are in the path.
Lois Lane

 
At 1:19 PM, Blogger Fred said...

Seven for nine. Not bad. I went through Andrew, so I really feel for those folks. Here's what happened to me.

As a result of Katrina, just wait 'til we see what happens with gas prices. It won't be pretty.

 
At 4:27 PM, Blogger Teri said...

It is a relief to hear that it has turned away from you, and my thoughts and prayers are with those who aren't as lucky. I have never lived anywhere were we had to worry about hurricanes, so I cannot even imagine what it must be like.

 
At 9:08 PM, Blogger thc said...

Be safe! I haven't taken the quiz yet but hurricanes are not our greatest fear in Northern California.

 
At 1:41 AM, Blogger Live, Love, Laugh said...

I think this one is truly going to be a doozy. I heard a lady on the news in Louisiana tonight just saying Pray for us, Pray for us!! Seems there is much fear associated with this one!!

 
At 9:55 AM, Blogger BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

Stay safe...I would not want to see you and/or your family swept away by this hurricane.

I continue to have good thoughts for all of the people affected by these winds.

 
At 10:56 AM, Blogger Beth said...

I hope everyone is safe!

 
At 4:59 PM, Blogger Oh great One said...

We should be praying for all those in the path of this storm.

I'm glad you are ok.

 
At 8:12 PM, Blogger PBS said...

Glad the hurrican turned a bit and was less damaging than feared. Lucky you were away for that big bad one! Love the name of your blog and the cool recipe; will come back and catch up!

 
At 7:32 AM, Blogger Joy said...

our sky is dark right now. No rain yet, but it looks like it going to pour. But considering how much damage further south got....

 
At 3:10 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

We live in Florida and katrine missed us. Our prayers are with you during your hurrican season.

 
At 9:15 PM, Blogger Doug said...

Great reporting. What a catastrophe!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home