Monday, August 22, 2005

Crazy Beans

Want something quick to throw in the crock pot for dinner tonight?
Here it is: Courtesy of Chet’s Crock

1 lb. ground beef
1 lb. bacon
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup catsup
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 (1 lb. 15 oz) cans Bush's original baked beans
1 16-oz can light kidney beans
1 box frozen baby limas
1 tsp. salt
Dash of pepper

In skillet, brown beef, bacon and onion. Drain and place in slow cooker. Cook baby limas for 8 minutes; add along with remaining ingredients to slow cooker. Stir well. Cover and cook on low heat for at least 4 and up to 9 hours.

If you prefer butter beans to the baby limas, it is okay to substitute. Use a 1-pound can. Also, drain all beans except the Bush's baked beans before adding to the slow cooker.
Fabulous crock pot recipes, tasty cookie recipes, and vegetarian, vegan, and healthy raw food recipes shared by a natural health food writer who loves to eat. Fun!
Visit Chet at http://chetday.com/healthyrecipesmenu.htm

Check out a previous post I wrote on Crock Pot cooking here:
http://lucysfrugalliving.blogspot.com/2005/05/crock-pot-cooking.html

6 Comments:

At 5:35 PM, Blogger Fred said...

This is about the only one I wouldn't like. The lima beans are a killer for me. When I was a kid, I used to feed them to the dog under the table.

But, I think I could leave them out and still enjoy it, right?

 
At 5:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

can't do the lima beans, but i did buy a crock pot for my daughter to take away to university. it came with a recipe books, hope she and her roommates try it out, i love mine.

 
At 7:47 PM, Blogger Lucy Stern said...

Fred and BSTS....Any recipe can be altered. If you don't like lima beans then just don't put them in. It says that you can substitute the limas with butter beans, but I don't see any reason you couldn't use garbanzo or naby beans. Experiment a little.

BSTS...I hope the girls use the crock pot to because it sure will save some time for the differing schedules that the girls will have. Many times I have put on a pot of soup in the morning and when the kids would come home from school, band practice, girl scouts, math club or what ever they had to do, then they could eat and not have to worry if there would be something there.
I have found that I have more energy in the morning and less energy when dinner time comes. If dinner is already cooked it sure is nice.
Yesterday I put some chicken thighs and sausage in the crock pot. I sprinkled a little bit of seasoning and some barboque sauce and set it to cook. When we got home from church, around 2:00pm., I cooked some rice and veggies and dinner was ready before you know it. Let me tell you, I love my crock pot.

 
At 7:48 PM, Blogger Lucy Stern said...

Navy beans!

 
At 3:39 PM, Blogger Joy said...

I LOVE my crockpot. I'm always looking for new recipes. Thanks!

 
At 3:17 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Another interesting recipe...God Bless You.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home