Friday, August 26, 2005

CHOCOLATE PINTO BEAN PIE

Yes, I know what you are saying, "Are you crazy, chocolate pie with pinto beans in it. No Way!"
This has got to be one of the best Chocolate pies I have ever made. I made it for my family and didn't tell them about the beans until they were beggings for more. Give it a try and let me know what you think.

CHOCOLATE PINTO BEAN PIE
½ cup sugar
1 cup packed brown sugar
2 eggs
4 tablespoons margarine
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 heaping cup mashed cooked pinto beans (1-15 oz. can, drained)
1 cup chocolate chips
1 unbaked 9-inch pie shell

Combine sugars, eggs, margarine, and vanilla; beat until creamy. Add pinto beans; blend well. Place chocolate chips in the bottom of the unbaked pie shell. Pour filling over the chocolate chips. Bake at 375 degrees for 20 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 degrees and bake an additional 25 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Serve with whipped topping or ice cream.
This is a recipe by Chery Driggs.

For those of you who like to can, here is a recipe for canning dry beans.

Caning Dry Beans
1 and a 1/4 cup plus 2 TBLSP of beans in each 1 quart jar
1 tsp salt
fill jar with water to 3/8 inch from top of jar

Close jar with prepared lids and rings. Prepare pressure cooker as directed in Manufacturer's instructions. Place jars in pressure cook and cook for 90 min. Remove from cooker and let jars sit out overnight with space between jars. Cover the jars with a tea towel and out of a draft while they sit overnight. After they have sat out overnight they may be moved, and boxed for storage.
This is a recipe from a friend who cans all her beans like this. It will work with most all beans. Give it a try.

16 Comments:

At 11:36 AM, Blogger Mise en Place said...

I'm definately going to try the pie. I apologize if I offended you about the hair, it was not my intent. I too have short hair, always have and request the same type of cut you do. I was just amazed at how severe the style was on the woman that I was referring to.

 
At 11:41 AM, Blogger Lucy Stern said...

momyblogr...You didn't offend me at all. I was just telling you about my favorite hair cut. Hope you like the pie.

 
At 12:21 PM, Blogger Gigi said...

I have a cake made with tomato soup so who's to say you know...I am going to 'secretly' give it a try!!

 
At 2:03 PM, Blogger Bar L. said...

Just stopped by to give you a hug and thank you for your encouraging words. You have such a great outlook. I appreciate you.

 
At 2:35 PM, Blogger GodlessMom said...

There is a cafe near my home town that serve pickle and pinto bean pie. It's made with sweet pickles and is absolutely deeelish!! Thanks for the recipes!

 
At 4:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i've never heard of this, i can't even imagine what it would taste like

 
At 6:03 PM, Blogger Joanne said...

That pie sounds delicious! (but then again, I'm a chocoholic) Thanks for checking out my blog. You sure had a few pets to feed! Were you a little sad to give away all those puppies?

 
At 6:07 PM, Blogger Lucy Stern said...

It was sad giving them all away, but they are all in good homes. It is alot quieter around here now and I do like that.
Try that pie, it's really good.

 
At 12:47 AM, Blogger Miranda said...

Mmm! I'll try it! Thanks for the recipe! I'm all excited about making it now!

 
At 3:12 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hummm....never heard this recipe before.Very interesting. God Bless You.

 
At 10:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This pie is amazing. Purée the beans well in the food processor so they are nice and smooth (putting the egg in the food processor with the beans helps them to purée better). I put pecans all over the top of the pie before baking and served the finished pie with whipped cream. All the relatives liked it and said it was the best chocolate pecan pie! Will definitely make again.

 
At 3:02 PM, Blogger Alison said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 3:15 PM, Blogger Alison said...

Forgot to mention that when it was time to add the pinto beans, I just drained & rinsed them, then dumped them in a blender with half of the mixture so they'd blend nicely for a minute or two. Then I just dumped the other half of the mixture into the blender, let it all whirl together, then poured it all over the chocolate chips in the pie crust-- which, for me, needed to be a DEEP-DISH one for it to not overflow (very luck hubster grabbed the wrong ones from the grocery store freezer). SO EASY!!

 
At 3:22 PM, Blogger Alison said...

This really is a good recipe. Just be prepared with lots of whipped cream to cut through its richness. I served this to some ladies I work with (who have lots of baking experience btw) and they had NO CLUE there were beans inside. If they only knew....! I am adding pecans next time- I have been hunting for a very good chocolate pecan pie recipe.

 
At 5:23 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I tried your pie and it was delicioso!everyone liked it and were amazed pinto beans could be a dessert

 
At 10:28 PM, Blogger Ross B's Mommy said...

Like heaven!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home