Friday, June 24, 2005

I’m Home – Had a Great Trip

I pulled into the driveway around 10:15pm. I’m surprising wide awake; it must be because I took a two hour nap this afternoon. Everyone was lathering up with sun screen and I couldn’t keep my eyes open. I announced that I was going to take a short nap and would come down to the beach when I wake up. That was around 2:30pm and the next thing I knew it was 4:30pm. I couldn’t believe I had slept two hours. I snatched up my sunscreen and headed for the beach. Donnie and Pat were out splashing around in the water. Jula and Robert were practicing on their buggie boards. Barbara and Stacey were sitting under the umbrella taking in the sights. I found my chair and plopped down for a nice sit. I had my readers digest in hand and a soda to sip on. We sat out there for 2 and a half more hours before coming in to cook dinner. While everyone was cleaning up, I started the Spaghetti. Finally after dinner, I packed up the car and headed home. I hated to leave but I had promised TF that I would be home Thursday night. Barb and Stacy go home Saturday and everyone else on Sunday. I had a great time.

The trip was filled with lots of family fun. We went to our usual camp spot at the end of the seawall on the west side of Galveston Island. We always get the same spot so that we can see the beach and the little lake next to the camp ground. With Dad’s travel trailer we get full hook-ups. It’s a great way to camp and still have a little luxury. You need air-conditioning in Texas to get any kind of decent sleep. This year our trip included: Daily trips to Wal-Mart, fishing, swimming, sand sculptures, night time crab hunts, a trip on the ferry boat, shopping on the Strand, kite flying, a visit with an old friend, homemade ice cream, and good clean family fun. My sisters favorite words were: “We’re on vacation”. She didn’t want any diet food “on Vacation”, if you get the drift. One night we made a late Wal-Mart run for Banana Split fixings and Pat wore her Pajama pants.

I’m glad Dad started this tradition. It gives us a chance to be together as brothers and sisters for a whole week at a time. We don’t have to worry much about anything. We just have a good time together as a family. When dad died, five years ago, we decided to keep the travel trailer and continue the tradition. Dad would be happy to know that we enjoyed it enough to continue with this special time together. I wish I hadn’t left the camera on the nook table so I could post a few pictures. The most important thing is the pictures are in my mind forever. I can pull them up anytime I want and review them.

2 Comments:

At 9:34 AM, Blogger Beth said...

That's a terrific tradition. If my siblings and I got together for a week, 3 out of 4 would be leaving in body bags. Sad, but true.

 
At 11:17 AM, Blogger Oh great One said...

I'm glad you had a good time!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home