Tuesday, June 28, 2005

Fourth Of July Food:

With the Fourth of July just around the corner, you might want to try these three wonderful dishes. The first one is a Taco Dip from Kaylin at Real Food for Real People. Your friends will love it and be asking for more.

Awesome Taco Dip:

16 ounces Refried Beans
8 ounces Cream Cheese -- softened
1 package Taco Seasoning Mix -- 1.25 ounces
2 cloves Garlic -- minced
1 small Tomato -- chopped
1/4 cup Onion -- chopped
1/2 cup Black Olives -- chopped
1 cup Cheddar Cheese, shredded
Sour Cream -- optional

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Spread beans onto bottom of 9 inch pie plate. In medium bowl, combine cream cheese, taco seasoning mix and garlic; spread over beans. Top with tomato, onion, and olives; sprinkle with cheddar cheese. Bake 25 - 30 minutes or until heated through. Garnish with sour cream, if desired. Serve with Tortilla Chips. Serves 16

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 123 Calories; 8g Fat (58.6% calories from fat); 5g Protein; 8g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 23mg Cholesterol; 389mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1/2 Grain(Starch); 1/2 Lean Meat; 0 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 1 1/2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

Another easy dish to make for your gathering would be this wonderful pasta salad by Cheryl Driggs. I made it for a wedding shower a few weeks ago and it was a real hit.

PASTA SALAD

1 lb. rotini pasta
2 cups chopped celery
1 small red onion, chopped
1 jar (4 ounces) chopped pimiento, drained
1 jar marinated artichokes, drained and cut up
1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) Monterey jack cheese, cut into small cubes
1 can (6 ounces) black pitted olives, drained
1 cup frozen peas
1/2 bunch fresh broccoli florets, cut into small pieces
1/2 cup Italian dressing with herbs
5 fresh mushrooms, sliced
7 ounces whole cashews

Cook rotini according to directions adding 1 Tbsp. oil to water. DO NOT OVERCOOK! Rinse with cold water; drain well. Add all but mushrooms, cashews, and dressing. Stir in 1 Tbsp. oil. Refrigerate. Just before serving, add mushrooms, cashews, and remaining dressing. Serves 24.

AHHHH. Now for an awesome desert. Try this Texas Sheet Cake by Lora Lee Heaton. It's to die for.

Texas Sheet Cake

1 ¼ cup - Margarine
1 ¾ cup - Sugar
2/3 cup - Dark Karo
2 tsp. - Vanilla
4 – Eggs
2 cups – Flour
¾ cup – Cocoa
1 cup – Chopped Walnuts

Grease 11 x 15” pan. Beat margarine and sugar well. Add corn syrup and stir well. Add flour and cocoa mixture. Add eggs and vanilla, then chopped nuts. Mix lightly. Spread evenly in pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes.
Cool completely, then frost with…
½ cup margarine – ¼ cup milk – 1/3 cup cocoa stirred over low heat until melted. Beat in 1 lb. powered sugar. Spread over cooled cake.

14 Comments:

At 4:22 PM, Blogger Oh great One said...

They sound yummy! I love all the veggies and such but my family wouldn't eat it. They are all so picky! I have one last chance with my baby boy. Hopefully he will join me in eating all those good things!

 
At 4:23 PM, Blogger Lucy Stern said...

I started my kids off with veggies and fruits when they were just babies and to this day they love raw veggies.

 
At 4:45 PM, Blogger Mad Housewife said...

That Taco Dip sound absolutely YUMMERS! I may just have to try that out.

I wonder what it would be like to add fresh avocado... may have to try that too.

 
At 6:28 PM, Blogger Beth said...

Ooo, recipes! I love getting new ones. Thanks, Lucy!

The only thing I have to do to get the kids to eat vegetables is grill them!

 
At 7:26 PM, Blogger Lucy Stern said...

Red, Avacadoes would probably be great on this dish. Put them on as garnish with the sour cream.

Gardening knitter, I love grilled veggies.

 
At 7:39 PM, Blogger Denise B. said...

I make a very similar taco dip that I got from The Pampered Chef, when I was one of the drones. (no offense, anyone), but you use sour cream and cream cheese, and you use green onions. Yes, it is an all-time favorite, no matter where I go!

 
At 7:40 PM, Blogger Melody said...

I am a recipe collector, i love to read cook books....too bad i don't love to cook.
Might try these though.

 
At 7:57 AM, Blogger buffi said...

Those sound yummy! I love trying new recipes. Thanks for stopping by me site. As you saw, I'm brand new & it's exciting to get commentsfrom someone who I didn't tell about it!

 
At 11:17 AM, Blogger Oh great One said...

Oh believe me I have started both my kids on veggies and fruits but I think somehow my husband swung my daughter to the dark side. I'm convinced!

 
At 12:34 PM, Blogger Evey said...

Oh how wonderful, i think i will for sure be trying that dip out this weekend. Thanks!

 
At 12:37 PM, Blogger Christine said...

Oh yummy! My MIL makes a Texas cake that my husband just LOVES - I will have to try this recipe!

 
At 3:11 PM, Blogger Nettie said...

Hmm, I'll have to try grilled veggies, do you think they would work on a George Foreman?

 
At 3:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

what exactly is dark karo, never heard of it here

 
At 7:45 PM, Blogger Lucy Stern said...

Nettie, Yes you can grill veggies on the George Foreman. Spray a little butter flavored non stick coating on the grill before putting the veggies on and it will cook just fine.

Better safe than sorry, Reg. Karo syrup is like white sugar. Dark Karo syrup is like brown sugar. Also Dark Karo has a stronger flavor to it. If you don't have any dark Karo, you can substitute 3/4 Regular Karo & 1/4 light molasses. I find Dark Karo at H.E.B. grocery. If you live in the South, you shouldn't have any trouble finding it at the grocery store.

Mrs.t, Sorry I forgot to put the number of servings on there. Serves 16. I have already gone back in and corrected. Thanks for noticing.

Hope you all have fun trying the recipes.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home