Wednesday, May 25, 2005

Count your many blessings:

I had an interesting day today. I woke up with a monster sinus headache. I didn’t want to do anything but sleep but I had already promised a friend that I would go with her to visit her daughter at the V.A. hospital. I took some high powdered sinus medicine, tapped on the bones under my eyes and took a hot shower. The headache went away and I headed down to the VA with my friend. Now this is the first time I have ever been inside the VA hospital and I was blown away by the activity. There were six clinics just on the first floor and each waiting room was full to the brim with patients waiting to be seen by a doctor. We made it up to the sixth floor for a nice 45 minute visit. After the visit, we followed our same path out to the front of the hospital to pick up my friends car from the valet service. I sat down on a bench while we were waiting. As I sat there watching people go in and out that hospital, my mind suddenly realized that I was seeing little old men, probably WWII veterans, who were walking with canes and in wheel chairs, there were several men with artificial limbs. I knew that these were our service men and women who were ill or wounded in battle. I felt a sudden warming in my heart and tears were slowly streaming down my face as I observed these people. In my head, I could hear a song and within seconds I was humming… “Count your blessings, count them one by one, count your many blessings, see what God has done, count your blessings, count them one by one……….” I felt goose bumps on my arms and I knew that the spirit had touched my heart and soul with a feeling of gratitude. At that point in time my sinus headache seemed like nothing. These vets had given much in exchange for their service to us all. I learned guiet a bit today from just a few short minutes sitting on a bench. Funny how these things happen…

1 Comments:

At 1:33 AM, Blogger Lucy Stern said...

Aaron, You mom and I are very close in age so we probably would hit it off.

Elaine, I really was a spiritual experience. Yes, the headache is gone now. Thank-goodness.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home